Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of installing engineered floor

Options
  • 13-05-2017 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I'm thinking of installing engineered wood floors in part of a house I'm in the process of purchasing. The cheapest material I've come across online is on the wood floor warehouse site. It's €27. Per sq metre (Diamond White Oak Heringbone). I can't post a link unfortunately but here is part of the description:

"Sherlock Herringbone Diamond Click Oak is a worlds first in engineered veneer wood flooring technology. It uses a 0.6mm real wood veneer as a top layer , but is then coated in our exclusive Sherlock Diamond surface to give an AC5 Rated wear layer. The result is a real wood floor in your home that will last for years and years without the need for sanding or refinishing. The sherlock diamond coating makes the wood signifigantly more resistant to wear, scratches and stains, compared to even the best toughened lacquers. Even the hardest of solid woods will require sanding after time due to excessive scratches and wearing. Other veneered type engineered floors are normally tired looking after just a few years of heavy traffic. Sherlock Diamond flooring is the only real wood floor that is as tough as a commercial graded AC5 floor. This product gives you all the benefits of a laminate floor , such as easier fitting , easy maintenance , and extremely hard wearing , yet ... the true beauty , feel and warmth that only real wood can offer. We think its the best wood flooring product we have seen yet, and its certainly the toughest.

582 length x 100mm wide x 12mm Thick
    AC5 Wear Rating (suitable for commercial use)
    0.6mm real Wood Layer with Sherlock Diamond Surface
    HDF Core with Unilin Click System
    Moisture Painted base to enhance stability
    Waxed joints to enhance resistance to spillages
    25 Year Residential and 5 year Commercial Wear Warranty"

Does anyone know if there's a particular downside to this product that makes it so much cheaper than others? Is it because it's classes as "veneered wood" rather than "engineered"?

The next question is, how much is it likely to cost to have it fitted? The area is approximately 50sq metres. Would I be better off going with a more expensive company who would also provide installation? Particularly as I want it laid in a herringbone pattern.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

.6 mm of top wearing layer is very little and would not allow the floor to be sanded and refinished , engineered flooring usually has 2 - 6 mm of solid wood top layer

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LN00

.6 mm of top wearing layer is very little and would not allow the floor to be sanded and refinished , engineered flooring usually has 2 - 6 mm of solid wood top layer

But is that a problem in the short term? Presumably you wouldn't be sanding/refinishing for the first few years anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I have taken a look at the website and the floor is finished with the same finish as laminate flooring, so it is not designed for sanding and refinishing, it could be the best of both worlds, genuine wood look with a tough laminate finish.
    For that herringbone floor like the one on the website you could be looking at €50m2 fitted as there could be a lot of waste in the cutting at the edges, depending on the width of the room as both sides would need to be even

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LN00

Any idea about the cost of getting someone to fit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patrickcabo

Hey, did you end up going with that floor in the end? I'm looking at the exact same one. It seems good value compared to other herringbone patterns.

• Advertisement
Advertisement