Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro 2017, stage 9: Montenero di Bisaccia - Blockhaus 149 km

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

conor_mc wrote: »
    Was it a stupid place though? Right out to the side of a wide straight road.

There's been plenty of dangerous moto behaviour over the past few years, but I think this is rider error, pure and simple.

fair enough on your first point . i was wrong about the stupid place to stop , which put the onus even more on the riders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lots of anger here about who did or didn't cause the crash. Relax folks. An unfortunate accident to have happened is all I'll say on it.

TD was the big winner today and will coast into the lead after the tt by at least a minute I'd say.

BMC simply have to have a reality check about TJ. This blind faith in him is madness at this stage. Roche could be the leader for the giro and vuelta and leave the tour to Porte. Or else look for stage wins and lump Roche in to support Porte or vice versa in the tour.

Speaking of stage wins. I expect Rui Costa to pick up at least one in the hills later on as he continues to ship time to those ahead in GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

God bless anyone who had to listen to Carlton Kirby and the RCS feed for today's stage. Just had a look at the 3 minute highlight package they produce and that was enough of him for me. 'G' this, 'G' that... his love-in for all things Sky is insufferable.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    God bless anyone who had to listen to Carlton Kirby and the RCS feed for today's stage. Just had a look at the 3 minute highlight package they produce and that was enough of him for me. 'G' this, 'G' that... his love-in for all things Sky is insufferable.

Was dreading turning on Tour Of California and having to listen to him, thankfully it's our own Declan Quigley

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

BMC simply have to have a reality check about TJ. This blind faith in him is madness at this stage. Roche could be the leader for the giro and vuelta and leave the tour to Porte. Or else look for stage wins and lump Roche in to support Porte or vice versa in the tour.

Very over rated rider who consistently fails to deliver and does sweet feck all in races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Other observations today...
    At one stage Quintana was producing over 7.5 watts per kilo on the climb if the power graphic was correct.
    Amador did a huge job whittling down that lead group.
    Nibali seemed to be attempting a pedalling style not that dissimilar to Froome.
    I think we can all agree that TGV is the most overrated GC guy for some years.

I think it was Winner Anacona that did the major work in the lead group? When Anacona was spent, Quintana attacked very soon after.

The pedalling style of Nibbles was very interesting; his backside was absolutely glued to the seat. He didn't seem to get out of the saddle once. It did look similar to Froome, and he was using a 38x30 so plenty of scope to spin a very high cadence.

Winner is a great name for a bike racer unless of course you ride for team cannondale :p

neris wrote: »
    Very over rated rider who consistently fails to deliver and does sweet feck all in races.

Surely this is the final nail in the coffin of TVG's GT aspirations. It will be ridiculous if the team give him another chance as a GT leader, but since they are American.... who knows.

The only guaranteed outcome that was going to happen today was TVG cracking under pressure.

Wow Landa ended up nearly 27 minutes behind Quintana

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Yeah even though Landa was fairly quickly back on his bike, he looked totally effed what we saw of him as others were passing him. This has nothing to do with the effects of the crash and we'll never know now but that he made such a speculative attack yesterday ahead of today's proper test suggested to me he wasn't really going to be in the mix for gc. Otherwise why make such an attack at such a moment? Doesn't sound like someone really focused in on racing for the overall, though of course we all love to see aggressive racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Hard to blame the cop on the bike. He was pulled in, waiting for the bunch to pass. The peloton should have been able to pass him like any other obstacle. It's not any way comparable to other recent accidents caused by motos in the bunch.

pelevin wrote: »
    Yeah even though Landa was fairly quickly back on his bike, he looked totally effed what we saw of him as others were passing him. This has nothing to do with the effects of the crash and we'll never know now but that he made such a speculative attack yesterday ahead of today's proper test suggested to me he wasn't really going to be in the mix for gc. Otherwise why make such an attack at such a moment? Doesn't sound like someone really focused in on racing for the overall, though of course we all love to see aggressive racing.

I did find it quite odd that Landa attacked yesterday. I had presumed that Thomas would have been the one to attack, in the hope of gaining a few seconds in anticipation of losing some ground today when the better climbers came to the fore.

I wouldn't be surprised if Landa abandoned.

Wildly divergent views on Movistar continuing to ride hard after the crash. Geraint Thomas says he was fine with it, that the race was on & they'd already been going hard for a fair bit - while Matt White of Orica gave out stink that they didn't ease up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Why the hell would Movistar ease up after the crash. They were setting the pace on the front. The fact that the riders behind couldn't go around a stationary object isn't their problem.
    It's a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I cannot believe people on here are blaming the riders for the crash and even calling it an Ag2R issue ...just goes to show people make all kinds of dumb comments without even seeing the footage

First an foremost the riders were going really fast and may have called out ...we dont know...It is obvious from the footage that the first riders on the left (Sunweb) pulled out but their colleaguess behind them had less time to react and one clipped the moto and this caused the crash which rippled down to SKY who were further back..and the road was narowing there and teams were moving up for positioning ..
    The moto should not have been parked on the that part of narrow road ...it could have pulled in on the verge ...it was a motos fault

It was no SKYs fault as some are implying

It seems to me that pro riders risk limb and even life to bring entertainment but know it alls on here love to sling mud without any thing to back it up

Most of those riders were up and racing as fast as they could ...some badly injured...lots have lost a chance to win a GT this year (if ever)after months of training and hardship

Yeah but it is their fault for not calling out

Give me patience ...
    well i was watching , maybe you should watch it again yourself. You even say yourself he should have parked on the verge , go and look where he is stopped , and a narrow road . I would not class that piece of road as narrow

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Just got to watch the stage last night. Felt really sorry for the lads in the crash, they were going at some speed when they came down and I can't imagine there was much time to react. Despite the incident, thought it was one of the best GC stages I've seen in a while. Normally these long climbs can be a bit of a snore-fest with all the action happening in the last 2-3km. Blockhaus had it right from the start and all the way up. Really impressed with Dumoulin, hope he puts big time into Quintana in tomorrows TT.

How long is the TT tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I think it's 39.something KM. Long enough for a big time gap between Tom and Nairo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Comes up every single race. It's British Eurosport and a British rider, riding well, from a British team, has a crash. Is it so unusual for them to speak about him?

• Advertisement

Wonder will sky give deignan more freedom now that Landas out of it and Thomas is 5 minutes back or will they try push Thomas to gain time and stage wins

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I very much doubt it. Think Sky will still target a podium spot for Thomas, something he's never managed so far at a GT. That last week is savage and a lot of contenders could lose serious chunks of time. This being the Giro there will definitely be more controversial incidents involving GC contenders. I guess it all depends on how injured the guy is. Reckon Landa will abandon before tomorrows stage. He posted a photo of his leg and it didn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I dont need to see the footage of the crash again...The motto should not have stopped there is my final opinion....that road is crucial as it leads onto the climb and that is where every team are fighting for position ....anyone knows that and that riders fight for every bit of space ...also given the road is so straight and with a slight rise it is hard to see beyond the riders in front of you
    But my point was about people on here so quick to blame the riders ...which is what happened and was premature and arm chair nonsense

As for Deignan getting his chance I think Thomas wil still ride for GC .He may have to try some avant garde tactics like going in the breakawy or attacking far out to try and gain time back ...So maybe Deignan will be in some breaks and who knows one may work out for him...he cetainly can climb well

interesting thoughts from robert millar on the crash and quintana
    Team Sky's dilemma and Movistar payback
    He'll have more leeway if he attacks later in the race which is something Geraint Thomas won't have. Remember the 2012 Vuelta, stage 4 and Valverde fell while in the leaders jersey, Sky kept riding then – so when the crash happened on the way to Blockhaus it was payback time as far as Movistar were concerned. You can cry fairness and whatever but those guys in the cars have long memories.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/author/robert-millar-blog-rating-the-giro-ditalia-contenders/

neris wrote: »
    interesting thoughts from robert millar on the crash and quintana

I think it's easy for Millar (or anyone else) to make that conclusion in hindsight. But I'd be slightly skeptical that in the heat of the moment, Movistar decided to keep racing primarily because it was 'payback time' for what Sky did to Valverde a few years ago.

Advertisement