Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of self build conversion

Options
  • 13-05-2017 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Looking at converting a mid roof transit to a road legal stealth camper, been hashing out the costs involved with insurance and CVRT and tax seems reasonable enough.

Just two questions on it, i'd be looking at CVRT'ing the van as a van before I convert it to a camper (no point in spending money converting it to a camper when it might be a terminal basket case come time to CVRT it) would I have to re-CVRT it or would the van CVRT ''carry over'' to being a Camper?

As for the conversion itself I'd be doing most of the work myself, but its still unclear if i'd be hit with a massive re-vrt bill when I go to register it as camper, i'm aware that whatever VRT is liable gets deducted with the vrt thats already been paid, so logically thinking if this is the case it would be more cost effective to convert a Minibus rather than a van, assuming the minibus would of paid more VRT than the van thus lowering the cost of registering of a camper??

Many thanks for any input on this as I know the topic does come up a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

I Was VB wrote: »
    Looking at converting a mid roof transit to a road legal stealth camper, been hashing out the costs involved with insurance and CVRT and tax seems reasonable enough.

Some insurance companies will not want to cover it unless its got side windows and because it will be under 1.8m inside even though thats no longer in the specification of a motorhome.
    no point in spending money converting it to a camper when it might be a terminal basket case come time to CVRT it
    If you can't assess whether its a terminal basket case prior to purchase then enlist someone who can. No point in wasting your time and money on a lemon for the sake of paying a mechanic a couple of hours wages to look at it for you.
    if this is the case it would be more cost effective to convert a Minibus rather than a van, assuming the minibus would of paid more VRT than the van thus lowering the cost of registering of a camper??

A minibus with more than 10 seats would have had the same vrt as a commercial van, a minibus with less than 10 seats if you can find one will have had significant vrt paid but usually they are caravelle/vito/hiace sized.

Advertisement