Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAF Helicopter equipment query

Options
  • 13-05-2017 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi folks, a query i've been struggling with with regards to attachments to the airframes of some RAF helicopters and was wondering does anyone have any idea what they might be/used for? I've a few theories but could never find anyone to confirm or deny those theories, so hoping you of you lot could help?

Ok so having bother uploading a few pics to show what structure i'm talking about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Give us a clue...................

If you can find any pics on Google 'images' that you can relay to us?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 23 smokie32

Cheers Tac
    I reckon it might only apply to aircraft based in NI but here goes,
    Its the shiny 'purple' cylinder type object usually on the underside of the tail of the aircraft, puma, lynx and sea king. On the Chinook it has two half cylinder shapes on either side of the rear rotor structure. I always guessed it was possibly to do with communications???
    Will try to get pics, i have some saved on my computer but cant get them to post :angry:

1350538-large.jpg
    a-british-raf-ac3a9rospatiale-sa-330-puma-helicopter-lands-at-a-fortified-uk-base-in-the-occupied-north-of-ireland.jpg

The object in question is just between the fuselage and tail section

ECM.

tac

• Advertisement

ECM??? As in electronic counter measures???

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

smokie32 wrote: »
    ECM??? As in electronic counter measures???

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe it's actually a flare dispenser your looking​ at

But it doesnt look like it could project chaff etc, more like a receiving or transmitting device???

To be honest, there doesnt seem to be any openings on it thats why it lead me to believe it was electronic. I have seen it up close (well close enough without being shot at lol ) and its a solid structure.

• Advertisement

smokie32 wrote: »
    To be honest, there doesnt seem to be any openings on it thats why it lead me to believe it was electronic. I have seen it up close (well close enough without being shot at lol ) and its a solid structure.

Could an Aerial of some kind rather than a dispenser ,I think any flares would be higher up on the main fuselage

Thats why, because it was mostly in NI that i thought it might be a jammer of some description???

I've said what it is, and that is what it is.

tac - many times a soldier in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Gatling wrote: »
    I believe it's actually a flare dispenser your looking​ at

ECM, its like lots of mini pieces of glass stuck together,

The below images show what chaff/flare dispensers look like on heli's

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/intruder_bass/media/mh-47g_soa_49_of_96.jpg.html

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6151/6164653794_6f3093ce3d_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Gatling wrote: »
    Could an Aerial of some kind rather than a dispenser ,I think any flares would be higher up on the main fuselage

Chaff/Flare dispensers are low and usually pointing down & aft, not up into or anywhere near the main rotors.

Why don't you take the answer from somebody who has flown around in them for years?

Jeez.

tac

Psychlops wrote: »
    Chaff/Flare dispensers are low and usually pointing down & aft, not up into or anywhere near the main rotors.

Totally not what I meant ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

tac foley wrote: »
    I've said what it is, and that is what it is.

tac - many times a soldier in Northern Ireland.
    tac foley wrote: »
    Why don't you take the answer from somebody who has flown around in them for years?

Jeez.

tac

LOOK-AT-ME-GUYS-LOOK-AT-ME-HEY-HEY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,449 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I don't think that's the case at all knucklehead

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

DIPSTICK

Tac is a longstanding and valued contributor to this and other boards.

• Advertisement

OK, OK, I was wrong, it's a soup dispenser for delivery of military soup to outlying units on the ground. It also doubles up as an airborne disco light for those military knees-ups that we are rightly famed for.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It is nicknamed the "disco ball" and it's job is exactly as tac has described; it puts out differing frequencies to jam potential enemy radars. It works in conjunction with chaff and flare dispensers so that the pilot knows that using ECM to try and jam, say, an IR homing missile would be a waste of time so he could fire flares instead, but there are dual function missiles that can do both, so he might dispense both to avoid being hit.When they came into service initially, it was common to see them covered by the crew after landing but now that they are so well known, the crews leave them uncovered unless it's to prevent damage by bad handling or environmental damage by sand or rocks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Advertisement