Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone think drivers education class should be added to all secondary schools?

Options
  • 13-05-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Its just it wouldve been so handy if I did do the driving once a week in school, without having the hassle to find one and also would save money! You would also get to do the driving test around the school too! I just don't get why secondary schools in Ireland won't do this as it would be so great for students to experience a real driving test and getting lessons! When i was in TY at around 15/16, i first started to drive butit was only a once off which was ridiculous! If America or England has this opportunity for their students, then why can't it be Ireland?????!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Encouraging students to engage in an activity that is both a danger to themselves, others and the environment. We need less drivers not more, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Encouraging students to engage in an activity that is both a danger to themselves, others and the environment. We need less drivers not more, OP.

They would have an adult with them though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The future is autonomous self driving cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Where would the money come from to do this? Some schools are so low on funds that Leaving Cert students have to share text books.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Vlove wrote: »
    If America or England has this opportunity for their students, then why can't it be Ireland?????!!!!

In a word - insurance. The cost of insurance in this country is already ridiculous for experienced drivers, it would be prohibitive for 16/17 year-olds learning at school. It's a pity though, because I think it's a very good idea. There are a lot of bad drivers out there, but if they could be taught well at an early age it might improve overall standards on the road. And who knows, it could also reduce the cost of insurance if there are less accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

judeboy101 wrote: »

Or maybe educate students to be aware of their surroundings whether driver / passenger / pedestrian / cyclist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

shar01 wrote: »
    Or maybe educate students to be aware of their surroundings whether driver / passenger / pedestrian / cyclist.

Driving, like learning how to balance a cheque book, is a skill that will not be needed in the future. Id rather we reduce the pupil teacher ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

No, I don't think it's fully necessary. Time and resources would be better spent making improvements to current curriculums than adding new ones.

Fully autonomous cars are so far away from being common place in Ireland that it's beyond irrelevant for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

We should teach them how to cycle on the roads instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

At the rate things are going many won't be able to afford to run a car :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Ok maybe the theory could be done in ty. But I would think it more beneficial for students ( teenagers and children) to learn more about road safety(including crossing the road first!). A good long programme of learning than runs from primary-secondary. Not just the odd talk but actual lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

YoI can't do everything in schools. What would come out so that driver eduction would go in?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

doc_17 wrote: »
    YoI can't do everything in schools. What would come out so that driver eduction would go in?
    Religion

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

While you concept of driver education at school is great I believe the RSA should do more school visits. Back in school for ty the fire service brought in 2 cars setup as a crash and began to cut class pupils of the school out. The driver would be take a breath test, fail put in cuffs and put into a garda car.

How would you approve actually driving? If your under 17 you can not drive a car and if your over 17 without a license you still break the law. You then need the school to have a car plus instructor? Plus insurance cost... just won't happen in this state.

Students in school need to be educated on how dangerious the roads are and what to look out for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many LCA students do the theory test as a personal task, but any sort of 'real' driving experience is too expensive for schools.
    Even that big van that visits schools with simulated driving positions in it is very expensive. Our LCAs ran a cake sale to part fund it when we got it in. They enjoyed it alright, but probably would not have had they had to pay the full price each.

Advertisement