Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You'd be lucky to top 200 in Castle Avenue for most Clontarf games, other than maybe some big Friday night games against the top 4, but even then that'd be pushing it.

I was at a Friday night game vs Mary's last season around Christmas time and I'd say there was barely 100 people there if even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Would there be many woth crowds of over 1,000?

I used to regularly go to Shannon games a few years back, when they played in thomond park, and regularly a few thousand at the games. Was at a game in Coonagh about 3 years ago, lucky if there was 500 at it...

Just wondering what the picture in like around the coutry?
    Oh certainly but it varies on conditions i said in previous post.
    When you say a few years back? How long is that. Game has moved on with pros playing 20+ game a season with 13 at home and clubs have dropped down rankings of preference but still is some excellent talent on show and it really depends on your league and how many local teams are involved.
    Like in 2A last weekend were quite a few derbies including Galway and Tipp Derbies which would have been very well attended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Oh certainly but it varies on conditions i said in previous post.
    When you say a few years back? How long is that. Game has moved on with pros playing 20+ game a season with 13 at home and clubs have dropped down rankings of preference but still is some excellent talent on show and it really depends on your league and how many local teams are involved.
    Like in 2A last weekend were quite a few derbies including Galway and Tipp Derbies which would have been very well attended

Maybe 12 years ago was the last season where i went to 90% of Shannon home games. Been to 3 in the years since, work a lot over the weekend generally and coonagh isn't that easy to get it unless you drive(which i don't)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Would there be many woth crowds of over 1,000?

I used to regularly go to Shannon games a few years back, when they played in thomond park, and regularly a few thousand at the games. Was at a game in Coonagh about 3 years ago, lucky if there was 500 at it...

Just wondering what the picture in like around the coutry?

You'd probably average out at around 300 if you removed the outlier big crowds like semi finals, 6w derby, and the likes where you'd probably get over 1000. It varies game to game though depending on day, time of year, weather, clashes, etc.

Maybe 12 years ago was the last season where i went to 90% of Shannon home games. Been to 3 in the years since, work a lot over the weekend generally and coonagh isn't that easy to get it unless you drive(which i don't)
    12 years ago the Celtic league was going what 4 years so nothing like what its now. Coonagh isnt that bad to get to if you dont drive. Not the worst place to get to
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    You'd probably average out at around 300 if you removed the outlier big crowds like semi finals, 6w derby, and the likes where you'd probably get over 1000. It varies game to game though depending on day, time of year, weather, clashes, etc.
    And it varies hugely down the divisions like 1A should be getting much bigger crowds considering its the top flight and for the dublin clubs you have 15 AIL games a season in the city!!! So relatively little travel.
    1A crowds are ****e by and large considering that. At least in divisions 1B/2A/2B/2C you could make excuses for most clubs as its a few hours travel to/from a lot of games.

Like the Corinthians/Galwegians Galway derby last weekend had a prematch dinner with 150 attendees with a few more hundred at the game other than them. That would have been one of the best attended games in 2A this season

Also Irish clubs squad/training group has been picked
    Clubs naming players on social media
    Jack Keating Greystones, Fionn Higgins + Poli Tolofua Naas,

12 years ago the Celtic league was going what 4 years so nothing like what its now. Coonagh isnt that bad to get to if you dont drive. Not the worst place to get to

From Eddie rockets, there is zero footpath the majority of the way

From Eddie rockets, there is zero footpath the majority of the way
    But it isnt that difficult to get to. If you're walking out to ground to games quite easy to pick a lift if walking where there isnt a footpath. And then very easy to get lift back into town with someone if you dont want to walk along that road

Ulster Senior League continues this weekend
    in Division 1
    Ballymena v Malone
    Armagh v Banbridge
    City of Derry v Ballynahinch

Division 2
    Bangor v Omagh
    Queens v Rainey Old Boys

There is also a couple of AIL games
    2B
    Dungannon v Belfast Harlequins
    2C
    Tullamore v Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ym

Whats happened Tom Ryan from Trinity-doesnt seem to be featuring for YM at all?

just got good guys ahead of him thats all coz he a fine player and we glad to have him, ben kilkenny and coombes cover number 8 and wing forward, dan walsh and diarmuid dee as well, also alan kennedy and marc okelly - alan playing mostly second row now

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭young munsters man

LFCTID wrote: »
    Yeah well that's true to be fair.. but at the same point yes it's bad for the game when a fixture like that will clash with a b&i play off game but at the same time I think Irfu did a big **** up when they said we would agree to re arrange the fixture of tarf agreed to it but sure they were never gonna agree can't blame them otherwise why would they? They were at full strength that day. I'm a lansdowne man myself and it would be my local club but did abit of work with cookies senior panel last year the odd time and u could tell nobody in the squad was happy about it.

yeah the whole club was up in arms about it to be fair - nobody thought they would let the games clash

loggin in under diff name as had bother with old email account

at munsters my Guess would be around the 600-800 mark ish, hard to gauge as since they moved technical area away from the trackside , the support evenly distributed between both sides, for garryowen game youd get 1500 plus sometimes even 2k plus,

depends on weather and clashes with provinces , usually get travelling support 60-80 ish - just guess work these figures

in fairness the attendances at games can be shocking - a lot of venues youdbe in the locality and wouldnt know a game is going on til you get near ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

ym wrote: »
    just got good guys ahead of him thats all coz he a fine player and we glad to have him, ben kilkenny and coombes cover number 8 and wing forward, dan walsh and diarmuid dee as well, also alan kennedy and marc okelly - alan playing mostly second row now

Rumours circulating hes now left YM? You hear anything?

at munsters my Guess would be around the 600-800 mark ish, hard to gauge as since they moved technical area away from the trackside , the support evenly distributed between both sides, for garryowen game youd get 1500 plus sometimes even 2k plus,

depends on weather and clashes with provinces , usually get travelling support 60-80 ish - just guess work these figures

in fairness the attendances at games can be shocking - a lot of venues youdbe in the locality and wouldnt know a game is going on til you get near ground
    400 from an away side at games? Really doubt that. Thats 2/3 buses at a minimum of away fans with another 40 car loads. No way is that coming from Dublin for a lot of games.

400 from an away side at games? Really doubt that. Thats 2/3 buses at a minimum of away fans with another 40 car loads. No way is that coming from Dublin for a lot of games.

Where are you getting 400 away fans from?

• Advertisement

Where are you getting 400 away fans from?
    didnt young munster man say 600-800 at games split evenly between each side so 400 from 800 is....

didnt young munster man say 600-800 at games split evenly between each side so 400 from 800 is....

Of the pitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LFCTID

yeah the whole club was up in arms about it to be fair - nobody thought they would let the games clash

loggin in under diff name as had bother with old email account

Yeah players like sean duggan teddy etc i trained abit last year and they were all hot and bothered about it. You would expect it from duggan though he was captain last year like so it as his team at the end of the day. Cookies were flying last year dunno whats up wih them this year staff and players i all worked with last season are most gone now and gone to garryowen even the staff and apparently lost their sponsorship from bus eireann so thats a big loss for them financial wise for travel etc..

AIL Junior Cup is this weekend in Portlaois. Kilfeacle v Ashbourne.

AIL returns for a few weeks of games before a break for the 6 nations games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

1A

Clontarf v Young Munster
    Garryowen v Trinity
    St Marys v Cork Con
    Terenure v Lansdowne
    UCD v Buccaneers

1B
    Naas v Old Belvedere
    Ballymena v Shannon
    Ballynahinch v UCC
    Banbridge v Old Wesley
    UL Bohs v Dolphin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Assume no Ireland under-20's available to clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

irishfan9 wrote: »
    I was told no but you never know one or 2 might get released to get game time if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    I was told no but you never know one or 2 might get released to get game time if needed.
    I think they hold them all back pre 6 nations and then release some players ad hoc throughout the tournament depending on game time / injuries etc.

That is correct-none of DUFC 4 available

Also all the 7s players have also been pulled

Also hearing A players in Munster not available either. Havent heard re Leinster? Anyone else hear ?

2A
    Blackrock v Corinthians
    Galwegians v Nenagh
    Cashel v Highfield
    Malone v Greystones
    Queens v Armagh

Could be big weekend at bottom as if Corinthians win and assuming Malone win comfortably against 'stones then there will be a big enough gap at the bottom with Galwegians and Blackrock well adrift of the rest.
    Race at top is tight and Nenagh shouldnt have any issues trying to keep up with Malone and Highfield and should have a straight forward win over Galwegians in Galway
    2B
    City of Derry v Barnhall
    Old Crescent v Belfast Harlequins
    Skerries v Rainey Old Boys
    Sundays Well v Navan
    Wanderers v Dungannon
    Crescent will win comfortably against Harlequins to stay in first and automatic promotion place. Rainey should win with no issues against a Skerries side with little to play for now for rest of season

2C
    Bective Rangers v Bangor
    Bruff v Malahide
    Omagh v Thomond
    Sligo v Seapoint
    Tullamore v Midleton
    Bruff and Malahide top game of the day with both pushing for playoff spots/promotion.

2A
    Blackrock v Corinthians
    Galwegians v Nenagh
    Cashel v Highfield
    Malone v Greystones
    Queens v Armagh

Could be big weekend at bottom as if Corinthians win and assuming Malone win comfortably against 'stones then there will be a big enough gap at the bottom with Galwegians and Blackrock well adrift of the rest.
    Race at top is tight and Nenagh shouldnt have any issues trying to keep up with Malone and Highfield and should have a straight forward win over Galwegians in Galway
    2B
    City of Derry v Barnhall
    Old Crescent v Belfast Harlequins
    Skerries v Rainey Old Boys
    Sundays Well v Navan
    Wanderers v Dungannon
    Crescent will win comfortably against Harlequins to stay in first and automatic promotion place. Rainey should win with no issues against a Skerries side with little to play for now for rest of season

2C
    Bective Rangers v Bangor
    Bruff v Malahide
    Omagh v Thomond
    Sligo v Seapoint
    Tullamore v Midleton
    Bruff and Malahide top game of the day with both pushing for playoff spots/promotion.

Thats a horrible trip for Thomond, who are pushing for promotion, and with Sligo most likely to beat Seapoint at home.

Also hadn't realised Galwegians were as poorly as they are:eek:

Thats a horrible trip for Thomond, who are pushing for promotion, and with Sligo most likely to beat Seapoint at home.

Also hadn't realised Galwegians were as poorly as they are:eek:
    Yeah while last season they were very unlucky and could easily have survived with some luck from 1B(though did finish 6 off 9th they did have 9 losing bonus points!!) and were in 1A season before this season in 2A theyve just been very poor. Not good for them with potentially a third consecutive relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

With them all being away  it could be a good thing. I am sick of seeing guys togged out for a club and being very average and then playing on the TV and looking like they could be playing for Ireland. I guess you can understand their mindset of not wanting to get injured but as a club supporter it does my head in.

$ausage$ wrote: »
    With them all being away  it could be a good thing. I am sick of seeing guys togged out for a club and being very average and then playing on the TV and looking like they could be playing for Ireland. I guess you can understand their mindset of not wanting to get injured but as a club supporter it does my head in.

in fairness the contracted lads we have at munsters have bought in to it and give their all and are huge addition when we have them

• Advertisement

very hard one for us tomorrow going up to clontarf on the 4g, usually get hammered up there, be doing well to get a point out of it,
    however ill get to have another look at this famous sea wall, juniors playing youghal away in the cup so two nice seaside trips for the weekend

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Yeah varies hugely on the player. Have seen guys phone in performances then the otherside saw Ultan Dillane play division 2 AIL 2 years ago and he was ridiculous, just 3/4 months before he go called up to the 6 nations
    Totally agree on last sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Yeah varies hugely on the player. Have seen guys phone in performances then the otherside saw Ultan Dillane play division 2 AIL 2 years ago and he was ridiculous, just 3/4 months before he go called up to the 6 nations
    Totally agree on last sentence.

Yeah played against Dillane 2 years ago when Corinthians were struggling in 2a. He absolutely battered our whole pack.

1 of our 2nd rows attempted to tackle him and was carried on his back for 20-30 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

in fairness the contracted lads we have at munsters have bought in to it and give their all and are huge addition when we have them
    Would very much say the same for us. I think it is more a continuity issue.

madlad88 wrote: »
    Yeah played against Dillane 2 years ago when Corinthians were struggling in 2a. He absolutely battered our whole pack.

1 of our 2nd rows attempted to tackle him and was carried on his back for 20-30 metres.
    Was ridiculous and could play as an academy player yet guys who would be 5th choice on a senior contract cant play division 2.

Anyway Naas beat Belvo 27-13 in 1B tonight

Was ridiculous and could play as an academy player yet guys who would be 5th choice on a senior contract cant play division 2.

What?

What?
    He was ridiculously good. More making point guys who are well down the list in a province on a senior contract cant play AIL division2 but academy guys can even if very likely to progress very far very soon.

Joe Byrne is starting for DUFC

Sligo lose at home to seapoint and lose top spot to thomond after 10-6 victory over Omagh.

All very tight in 2C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

very hard one for us tomorrow going up to clontarf on the 4g, usually get hammered up there, be doing well to get a point out of it,
    however ill get to have another look at this famous sea wall, juniors playing youghal away in the cup so two nice seaside trips for the weekend

Looks like you got your point, and then some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Looks like you got your point, and then some!

Lansdowne win in lakelands 12-8 in a scrappy win! We had a strong breeze with us in the first half and didn't use it to much affect nure scored a try off it in the first half. Harry Brennan impressed as did dan mcevoy also. Amad leavy and Oisin downing were the only academys realised to us for the game. We didn't have access to Ronan kelliher or Charlie rock for this game also! Nure had Oisin Heffernan and matt byrne playing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Lansdowne win in lakelands 12-8 in a scrappy win! We had a strong breeze with us in the first half and didn't use it to much affect nure scored a try off it in the first half. Harry Brennan impressed as did dan mcevoy also. Amad leavy and Oisin downing were the only academys realised to us for the game. We didn't have access to Ronan kelliher or Charlie rock for this game also! Nure had Oisin Heffernan and matt byrne playing for them.

Brennan looks an impressive player - could his good club form see him get an academy conract next year maybe or is he too old ?

No game in Galway due to an unplayable pitch. Any other games off today. Any results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Mary's beat Cork Con. Con pulled two tries ahead with some decent breaks and were 11 up with 20 left but Mary's got two themselves to win by 2 points. Crucial win at the lower end

• Advertisement

Mary's beat Cork Con. Con pulled two tries ahead with some decent breaks and were 11 up with 20 left but Mary's got two themselves to win by 2 points. Crucial win at the lower end

How'd Dean play

thebaz wrote: »
    Brennan looks an impressive player - could his good club form see him get an academy conract next year maybe or is he too old ?

think hes two years out of school now was in the gonzaga 2016 sct panel i could be wrong tho. tbh i'd love to see him been offered something but doubt it will be in leinster with them already having centres in the academy like tommy o'brien and gavin mullen/ciaran frawley. If theres any player looks to get an academy place at the end of this season from our club, id back peter hastie whos currently in sub academy and will feature in the u20 six nations this year. fine player hadnt played much ail this season though due to injuries..

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

think hes two years out of school now was in the gonzaga 2016 sct panel i could be wrong tho. tbh i'd love to see him been offered something but doubt it will be in leinster with them already having centres in the academy like tommy o'brien and gavin mullen/ciaran frawley. If theres any player looks to get an academy place at the end of this season from our club, id back peter hastie whos currently in sub academy and will feature in the u20 six nations this year. fine player hadnt played much ail this season though due to injuries..

Hastie is not in the squad nor will he be with the competition at 10

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Hastie is not in the squad nor will he be with the competition at 10

No longer in sub academy either was part of the recent cull. Was Deane the only Irish under 20 released or were others released?

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    No longer in sub academy either was part of the recent cull. Was Deane the only Irish under 20 released or were others released?

only released... on bench for marys... considering he hasnt played game since christmas not surprising he was released

• Advertisement
Advertisement