Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 262 ✭✭letf

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    That's a very strong side. Good to see such strong sides being put out this early in the season. I wonder will they keep releasing players in line with this.

They usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

That's a very strong side. Good to see such strong sides being put out this early in the season. I wonder will they keep releasing players in line with this.

All of irish 20s to come back in as well as they are not released back yet from academies which is a strange decision

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    All of irish 20s to come back in as well as they are not released back yet from academies which is a strange decision

Loughman/Murphy missing due to injury too.

Possible UCD backline?

9. Nick Peters
    10. Ciaran Frawley
    11. Tommy O'Brien
    12. Jimmy O'Brien
    13. Gavin Mullin
    14. Hugo Keenan
    15. Billy Dardis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Malahide RFC's facebook page has just confirmed that Mike Ross is making his debut in their game vs Bective this Friday night.

I wonder what Mr Ross is getting out of this arrangement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

shoutman wrote: »
    Malahide RFC's facebook page has just confirmed that Mike Ross is making his debut in their game vs Bective this Friday night.

Love of the game don't you know :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Ulster Bank League Div1A
    Buccaneers v Lansdowne: 
    Cork Constitution v Clontarf: 
    Young Munster v UCD: 
    Dublin University v Terenure College: 
    St Mary's College v Garryowen: 

Ulster Bank League Div1B

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Dolphin v Naas: [/font][font=Calibri, sans-serif]
    Old Wesley v Ballymena: 
    Old Belvedere v Ballynahinch: 
    UCC v Shannon: 
    UL Bohemians v Banbridge: 

Ulster Bank League Div2A
    [/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Cashel v Galwegians:
    Highfield v Blackrock: 
    Nenagh Ormond v Malone: 
    Corinthians v QUB: 
    Armagh v Greystones: 

Ulster Bank League Div2B
    [/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Wanderers v City of Derry: 
    NU Barnhall v Sundays Well: 
    Belfast Harlequins v Navan: 
    Rainey Old Boys v Old Crescent: 
    Dungannon v Skerries: 

[/font]

Fancy Lansdowne, Cork Con, UCD, Terenure, Marys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

....and Naas, Ballymena, Old Belvo, probably UCC at home and UL Bohs in Division 1B...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ym

letf wrote: »
    Possible UCD backline?

9. Nick Peters
    10. Ciaran Frawley
    11. Tommy O'Brien
    12. Jimmy O'Brien
    13. Gavin Mullin
    14. Hugo Keenan
    15. Billy Dardis

is this likely backline for saturday - tommy obrien sensational against us last year at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Wegians, Highfield, Nenagh, Corinthians and Armagh in 2A.
    Navan, Skerries, Barnhall, Rainey and Derry in 2B
    Malahide, Tullamore, Bruff, Midleton and Sligo in 2C

Should see some teams in tomorrow's papers but here is Blackrock below for their 2A game against Highfield

https://twitter.com/BCRFC/status/908418576729743360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

letf wrote: »
    Fancy Lansdowne, Cork Con, UCD, Terenure, Marys.
    Tend to agree. Reckon we will push Con close but as tough a game as you could ask for to start. If GO have signed as well as people are saying they could win in Templeville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

shoutman wrote: »

He is also going to be scrum coach for Malahide RFC. If he is getting any dosh then its for the coaching not playing.

Winters wrote: »
    He is also going to be scrum coach for Malahide RFC. If he is getting any dosh then its for the coaching not playing.
    Hahaha... I have no issue with him being paid but to suggest it's not for playing as well as coaching is absurd.

Hahaha... I have no issue with him being paid but to suggest it's not for playing as well as coaching is absurd.

Well of course but that's all the IRFU need to hear.

Well of course but that's all the IRFU need to hear.
    Absolutely, am I right in saying there is a limit on what you can spend on coaches?

Absolutely, am I right in saying there is a limit on what you can spend on coaches?

I have no idea. Maybe ask Ray Nolan.

I have no idea. Maybe ask Ray Nolan.
    Ah Ray is just another ordinary member...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Hahaha... I have no issue with him being paid but to suggest it's not for playing as well as coaching is absurd.

He's getting 500 quid a game apparently

Heard it off a very reliable source who was getting 400-500 quid a game last season with Malahide (ex Skerries & ex tarf man)

• Advertisement

odd for the league are now on paddypower website

madlad88 wrote: »
    Hahaha... I have no issue with him being paid but to suggest it's not for playing as well as coaching is absurd.

He's getting 500 quid a game apparently

Heard it off a very reliable source who was getting 400-500 quid a game last season with Malahide (ex Skerries & ex tarf man)
    Ye I know a couple of people getting that and a few more offered it.

im nervous about game tomorrow esp since the garryowen game - ucd are a fine side , also we have two away games next up in lansdowne where we never win and bucc so pressure on us to get a result
    best of luck munsters and safe trip to travelling ucd lads

Big win for Malahide over Bective tonight 55- 7

Stainalert wrote:
    watched some of it on Facebook as malahide streamed the game. Certainly didn't look like it was malahide first game in AIL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Stainalert wrote: »

Were the scrums as one sided as youd expect? As they say forwards win you matches, backs decide by how much (thats what they told us forwards anyway :) )

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Were the scrums as one sided as youd expect? As they say forwards win you matches, backs decide by how much (thats what they told us forwards anyway :) )

Wasn't at the game but apparently Bective were forced to go to uncontested scrums. Conal Keane, Tom Collis, David Nolan also playing for Malahide

Any results from today's games?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭determinations

Any results from today's games?

Con 30 - 18 Tarf

• Advertisement

Buccaneers 10 Lansdowne 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

So the world and his mother knows that Malahide are playing guys to play but the IRFU obviously don't care despite saying they do. Do we just accept that it is the way it's going to be? Or will Malahide be another Co Carlow? Are there many Malahide guys playing with them? Guys who played minis/youths?
    If the IRFU were serious about doing something they'd ask the Revenue to audit a few players. didn't the SRU say this?

shaungil wrote:
    So the world and his mother knows that Malahide are playing guys to play but the IRFU obviously don't care despite saying they do. Do we just accept that it is the way it's going to be? Or will Malahide be another Co Carlow? Are there many Malahide guys playing with them? Guys who played minis/youths? If the IRFU were serious about doing something they'd ask the Revenue to audit a few players. didn't the SRU say this?
    the world and his mother know several other clubs are also paying guys and yes league committee should come down hard but if they don't it doesn't mean we just accept it's the way things are going to be. Not many may have played minis/youths with malahide but that's the case with a lot of city clubs. Irfu are serious but probably don't want to get revenue involved as that opens a whole can of worms that could affect a lot of things just like GAA and paying Refs and others...

shaungil wrote: »
    So the world and his mother knows that Malahide are playing guys to play but the IRFU obviously don't care despite saying they do. Do we just accept that it is the way it's going to be? Or will Malahide be another Co Carlow? Are there many Malahide guys playing with them? Guys who played minis/youths?
    If the IRFU were serious about doing something they'd ask the Revenue to audit a few players. didn't the SRU say this?

From what I have been told the IRFU are struggling to find evidence and the union having initially promised financial resources to throw at investigations have withdrawn the funds. It's not very hard really to figure out who is and isn't throwing money about if you are half clued in and are interested. Proving it legally is a bit harder.

the world and his mother know several other clubs are also paying guys and yes league committee should come down hard but if they don't it doesn't mean we just accept it's the way things are going to be. Not many may have played minis/youths with malahide but that's the case with a lot of city clubs. Irfu are serious but probably don't want to get revenue involved as that opens a whole can of worms that could affect a lot of things just like GAA and paying Refs and others...

Malahide pitch themselves as a "community" club

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

shaungil wrote: »
    John Shine is with them former Shannon player

• Advertisement

1A
    Clontarf v St Marys  (Friday)
    Garryowen v Buccaneers
    Lansdowne v Young Munster
    Terenure v Cork Con
    UCD v Trinity

1B
    Ballymena v Dolphin
    Ballynahinch v Old Wesley
    Naas v UL Bohemians
    Banbridge v UCC
    Shannon v Old Belvedere

And the division 2 fixtures
    2A
    Blackrock v Cashel
    Galwegians v Armagh
    Greystones v Corinthians
    Malone v Highfield
    Queens University v Nenagh

2B
    Skerries v Wanderers
    City of Derry v Belfast Harlequins
    Navan v Rainey Old Boys
    Old Crescent v MU Barnhall
    Sundays Well v Dungannon

2C
    Omagh v Midleton
    Seapoint v Bangor
    Sligo v Malahide
    Tullamore v Thomond
    Bective v Bruff

There are still a large amount of local or certainly long standing Malahide players involved in the first team this season.

Malahide has a large catchment area. It probably has a population of around 18,000 now and the closest senior clubs are Clontarf and Skerries. There are a number of Malahide members and ex residents living in Swords, Portmarnock, Kinsealy and Donabate and north county Dublin so the catchment is quite large.

Malahide arent doing anything different to what many other ambitious senior clubs have done. Mike Ross and Mal before him are just very high profile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

1A
    Clontarf v St Marys -> Clontarf
    Garryowen v Buccaneers -> Garryowen
    Lansdowne v Young Munster -> Lansdowne
    Terenure v Cork Con - Cork Con
    UCD v Trinity -> UCD

Lots of sevens squad players getting pulled this weekend from what I hear

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

I hear the complaining already..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

1B
    Ballymena v Dolphin - Hard to see anything except a home win here.
    Ballynahinch v Old Wesley - Fancy 'Wes for this, although could be tight.
    Naas v UL Bohemians - Really close call. Depends on if / how well the Naas pack dominate. These two have had some ding dong battles before but home side might nudge it.
    Banbridge v UCC - A long road to travel for the students. Home win.
    Shannon v Old Belvedere - Shannon of old at home would have been unbeatable by a "load of Dubs", but OB could squeeze a win.

Looks like the Leinster League was just a little joke to make us think we might be seen as important again!!

I dunno if they brought in other players but FWIW Malahide had a bonus point wrapped up before half time and long before Ross came onto the field (he didn't start the game).

I dunno if they brought in other players but FWIW Malahide had a bonus point wrapped up before half time and long before Ross came onto the field (he didn't start the game).
    I'd imagine they brought in a few but they had a side good enough last year. I for one have no issue with what they're doing. As long as they can afford it and aren't taking on ridiculous debt. Would be nice to be in a position where it didn't have to be all so murky and almost viewed as evil in some way.

I'd imagine they brought in a few but they had a side good enough last year. I for one have no issue with what they're doing. As long as they can afford it and aren't taking on ridiculous debt. Would be nice to be in a position where it didn't have to be all so murky and almost viewed as evil in some way.

Dunno anything about their finances but they got a lovely big clubhouse and two pitches for free back in the boom in a land-swap deal, certainly can't have hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

But sure their team last year was full of players from all over too. Very few local players still there if any. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

But sure their team last year was full of players from all over too. Very few local players still there if any. Pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Where are they coming from though? Are they lads who grew up in Malahide, maybe went to Belvo or whatever, and have moved out (as would be common in a suburb where housing is extraordinarily expensive)? Are they guys from basically anywhere between Clontarf and Skerries, which are the nearest clubs to the south and north of Malahide?

That's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

Where are they coming from though? Are they lads who grew up in Malahide, maybe went to Belvo or whatever, and have moved out (as would be common in a suburb where housing is extraordinarily expensive)? Are they guys from basically anywhere between Clontarf and Skerries, which are the nearest clubs to the south and north of Malahide?

No just paid recruits from belvo, skerries, blackrock etc and even junior teams like Dundalk. Wouldn't be a club with a big underage setup to bring players through and then recruit them back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement