Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Toga Stroll

Winters wrote: »
    That's not true.

So they've been promoted what, three years in a row running away with each league with the same team of homegrown players? Could have sworn Keane was from skerries

So they've been promoted what, three years in a row running away with each league with the same team of homegrown players? Could have sworn Keane was from skerries

He used to play for Old Belvedere. Maybe he lives in Malahide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Very few local players still there if any

Yes Conal Keane came from Skerries RFC. That's one.

Two props new, scrum half from Clontarf, flanker from Dundalk, fullback and centre Belvo, flanker and number 8 also to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Two props new, scrum half from Clontarf, flanker from Dundalk, fullback and centre Belvo, flanker and number 8 also to name a few
    Marcus played in Malahide (I presume this is the OB centre?) as a youth growing up as far as I know. Ciaran Clifford is Malahide, I believe Daragh Sweeney started there before going to Tarf. Don't really know enough of the rest that I can think of but saying they have none is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Rory Kavanagh is Michaels and UCD then Belvo, hard to see where the link is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Rory Kavanagh is Michaels and UCD then Belvo, hard to see where the link is there.
    Dave Nolan & Joe Moran both Connacht

Dave Nolan & Joe Moran both Connacht

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

They aren't the only ones so i'm not sure why all the outrage/complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 young munster man

First time poster here was at ucd v munsters , well done to ucd and congratulations to them

we took lead early on with try from driving maul, they came back with excellent try and finished half better side 13-7 up, we got a try back again from driving maul and were 15-13 up 18mins into second half when after backline move they kicked through as their winger was about to score our winger impedes him so ref correctly give pen try and card in the yellow card period they scored a further three tries. We got try back(our third) from a maul and destroyed the scrum in last few mins. Ourreward for getting 2 props binned was bloody uncontested scrums,aagh, then in last min our centre ben swindlehurst was brilliantly tackled over the line to stop us getting a point.

better team won but really annoying not to have got the point,

Problem now is wehave lansdowne next where we usually get well beat. We will do verywell to get a point off it but for now we are looking at the wrong end of the table. But look ill go up and support the ladsand see how we go. No offence to lansdowne (they are a great club) but i dont like the ground the padding on the fencing while necessary is a bugger when you have kids at the game with you. Hopefully munsters will get a good performance like we did last year

also shane oleary gone to ealing (frustrating for us but great opportunity for him so i hope it goes well) , the excellent alan tynan injured as well

First time poster here was at ucd v munsters , well done to ucd and congratulations to them

we took lead early on with try from driving maul, they came back with excellent try and finished half better side 13-7 up, we got a try back again from driving maul and were 15-13 up 18mins into second half when after backline move they kicked through as their winger was about to score our winger impedes him so ref correctly give pen try and card in the yellow card period they scored a further three tries. We got try back(our third) from a maul and destroyed the scrum in last few mins. Ourreward for getting 2 props binned was bloody uncontested scrums,aagh, then in last min our centre ben swindlehurst was brilliantly tackled over the line to stop us getting a point.

Problem now is wehave lansdowne next where we usually get well beat. We will do verywell to get a point off it but for now we are looking at the wrong end of the table. But look ill go up and support the ladsand see how we go. No offence to lansdowne (they are a great club) but i dont like the ground the padding on the fencing while necessary is a bugger when you have kids at the game with you. Hopefully munsters will get a good performance like we did last year

also shane oleary gone to ealing (frustrating for us but great opportunity for him so i hope it goes well) , the excellent alan tynan injured as well

any players impress you from UCD?

the ucd backline in general was very good particularly during the 10 mins sinbin period they knew our weak spot and went for it - both centres obrien and glynn were good frawley at out half kicked well, presume they have tommy obrien to come back as well

the ucd backline in general was very good particularly during the 10 mins sinbin period they knew our weak spot and went for it - both centres obrien and glynn were good frawley at out half kicked well, presume they have tommy obrien to come back as well

Yeah O'Brien recovering from injury afaik.

Game will be on stadium pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

irishfan9 wrote: »

Along with Blackrock this year they are by far the most blatant and don't seem to care who knows. Time for the IRFU to abandon Rule 6 as they can not police and have no intrest in doing so either. Clubs that have healthy balance sheets and are able to do there business correctly and within their means should be allowed do so.

Clubs like Rock who have ex players spouting about how money ruins the game after they went broke by throwing money around and then strat doing it again I have no sympathy for. Malahide have a big backer and the facillites so fair play to them but they are blatantly breaking IRFU rules no doubt at all about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

ArmchairQB wrote: »

Along with Blackrock this year they are by far the most blatant and don't seem to care who knows. Time for the IRFU to abandon Rule 6 as they can not police and have no intrest in doing so either. Clubs that have healthy balance sheets and are able to do there business correctly and within their means should be allowed do so.

Clubs like Rock who have ex players spouting about how money ruins the game after they went broke by throwing money around and then strat doing it again I have no sympathy for. Malahide have a big backer and the facillites so fair play to them but they are blatantly breaking IRFU rules no doubt at all about that.
    Completely agree with all of the above.

Tarf1234 wrote: »

Completely agree with all of the above.
    Yea totally agree

stainalert - are you sure tis on main pitch and not the plastic ?
    brilliant if on main one

stainalert - are you sure tis on main pitch and not the plastic ?
    brilliant if on main one
    yes sure

still get horror flashbacks of the last time we played there
    even when munster play there its horriffic

• Advertisement

100% agree. Who or where is the money coming from do you know?

1A
    Clontarf v St Marys  -> Clontarf
    Garryowen v Buccaneers -> Garryowen
    Lansdowne v Young Munster -> Lansdowne
    Terenure v Cork Con - Cork Con
    UCD v Trinity -> UCD
    Hard to disagree with those predictions and hope you are right about Lansdowne. I think Marys will give Clontarf a very good game and it will be interesting to see how Buccs perform away from home against what looks like a much better Garryowen team. Terenure are building as well and could well surprise Con. You would expect UCD to do some damage to Trinity but I would expect UCD's backline to be very different to last weeks given the sevens squad demands so that gives Trinity an opportunity. For us we're expecting a bit of a backlash from Young Munster after a strange result last week so will have to match fire with fire. This is what makes this league so interesting in that every week it is incredibly difficult to accurately predict results.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

100% agree. Who or where is the money coming from do you know?
    q

Ray Nolan in Malahide amongst others, Rock I don't know where but possibly got to do with renting the ground share with soccer club, Fergus Slattery being made look silly by his own club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ArmchairQB wrote:
    yes some clubs are paying players and the world and it's .... know they are but IRFU won't abandon rule 6. Should they probably but they won't. It should be changed but to what? there needs to be some limit but not simply clubs well in the black being allowed to do so.
    ArmchairQB wrote:
    totally agree with you re clubs like rock but if clubs like malahide are throwing money around something should be done.

totally agree with you re clubs like rock but if clubs like malahide are throwing money around something should be done.

I guess as ever proving it is the issue.

'Hi Mike, are Malahide paying you?'
    'No'
    '...'

His answer would probably be "yes they are paying me to coach but not to play"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

His answer would probably be "yes they are paying me to coach but not to play"..

Then the reply should be:

"So why are you playing?"

Why do any of us play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Why do any of us play?

Certainly not the money anyway, for most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rubbadubdub

Does he not have all the players on the books for his Ultimaterugby app and paying them this way? AS previously said the Irfu have investigated but unable to prove anything.

• Advertisement

I guess as ever proving it is the issue.
    'Hi Mike, are Malahide paying you?' 'No' '...'
    yeah. Very hard when its all cash in hand just look at revenue and issues with gaa and paying some people like gate collectors
    Winters wrote:
    Why do any of us play?
    majority play for enjoyment and trying to win trophies not €€€ or say it's legitimate "travel" expenses

Does he not have all the players on the books for his Ultimaterugby app and paying them this way? AS previously said the Irfu have investigated but unable to prove anything.
    does he and what players would he have for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rubbadubdub

Look that's what was going around the rumour mill last year when they were in the LL - was just happy they went Senior! If that's the way they want to go then more power to them.

Look that's what was going around the rumour mill last year when they were in the LL - was just happy they went Senior! If that's the way they want to go then more power to them.

Same happened with Wanderers when they went back senior from the LL. Recruited players and just destroyed the whole league. Takes away from the point of a local Leinster league really. Hopefully doesn't become a regular thing to give other teams a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Same happened with Wanderers when they went back senior from the LL. Recruited players and just destroyed the whole league. Takes away from the point of a local Leinster league really. Hopefully doesn't become a regular thing to give other teams a chance.

Hopefully that doesn't keep happening yeah. - Enniscorthy feeling the brunt of it in the last couple of years.

They deserve a crack at the round robin this year. Good local team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Didn't Malahide sell land for development? don't think its Nolan but maybe wrong. Ross coached there last year and this from what ive heard and if he wants to play social rugby why not?. Div 1 is not social rugby, those boys train 5 times a week. In my day when the pros retired they played club rugby and gave you an education. it doesn't happen now..... and its a shame some great old props educated young lads at junior/Senior level and it stood to them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LFCTID

Lansdowne 25 - 5 young munster
    Decent first half try from speedy minsters winger Craig o'hanlon

Impressive from Terenure this season thus far, awful result for DUFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I see there was a tom roche on the bench for lansdowne. Is that the one who was at Blackrock last year by any chance?

Impressive from Terenure this season thus far, awful result for DUFC.
    Were you at game today? Trinity seem to be struggling a lot this year

• Advertisement

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I see there was a tom roche on the bench for lansdowne. Is that the one who was at Blackrock last year by any chance?
    Yeah thats the one.... his brother mark roche was with us for the last few seasons but has left to go and coach in blackrock club this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

LFCTID wrote: »
    Yeah thats the one.... his brother mark roche was with us for the last few seasons but has left to go and coach in blackrock club this season

Oh Id heard he was playing for rock this year because of his brother coaching there. Really interesting hes involved with the first team this early on coaches must rate him really highly

All todays results. Few things beginning to stand out. Bective look to be struggling again in 2C after going down from 2B last season and Trinity in 1A look in a lot of bother. While Wanderers looking very strong in 2B

1A
    Clontarf 33 St Marys 16
    Garryowen 29 Buccaneers 17
    Lansdowne 25 Young Munster 5
    Terenure 39 Cork Con 35
    UCD 36 Trinity 8
    1B
    Ballymena 6 Dolphin 10
    Ballynahinch 27 Old Wesley 6
    Banbridge 31 UCC 31
    Naas 28 UL Bohs 13
    Shannon 18 Old Belvedere 3
    2A
    Blackrock College 13 Cashel 27
    Galwegians 10 Armagh 26
    Greystones 23 Corinthians 28
    Malone 21 Highfield 14
    Queens University 31 Nenagh 37
    2B
    Skerries 27 Wanderers 34
    City Of Derry 32 Belfast Harlequins 17
    Navan 13 Rainey Old Boys 20
    Old Crescent 45 MU Barnhall 26
    Sundays Well 10 Dungannon 19
    2C
    Omagh 29 Midleton 29
    Seapoint 12 Bangor 8
    Sligo 36 Malahide 14
    Tullamore 20 Thomond 27
    Bective Rangers 21 Bruff 33

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Oh Id heard he was playing for rock this year because of his brother coaching there. Really interesting hes involved with the first team this early on coaches must rate him really highly
    yeah dunno much about other family members coaching in that club i just know about it coz i only found out about it today he might be just coaching them or he might be a player coach there who knows :/.

Were you at game today? Trinity seem to be struggling a lot this year

Trinity pack were fairly poor, got battered up front and even lost scrum parity which they got in the ascendancy for the first twenty or so. The Italian lock that Smeeth talked up on the IRFU website was really really poor, Pim was best of a bad lot in the 8 but Jack Dunne was impressive when he came on. With Finlay and Seb Fromm to come back they might have a resurgence but hard to see them being anywhere but bottom two at the moment. UCD going well now, good performances from Frayne, McMahon and Foley who was MOTM, with Murphy good at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

All todays results. Few things beginning to stand out. Bective look to be struggling again in 2C after going down from 2B last season and Trinity in 1A look in a lot of bother. While Wanderers looking very strong in 2B

1A
    Clontarf 33 St Marys 16
    Garryowen 29 Buccaneers 17
    Lansdowne 25 Young Munster 5
    Terenure 39 Cork Con 35
    UCD 36 Trinity 8
    1B
    Ballymena 6 Dolphin 10
    Ballynahinch 27 Old Wesley 6
    Banbridge 31 UCC 31
    Naas 28 UL Bohs 13
    Shannon 18 Old Belvedere 3
    2A
    Blackrock College 13 Cashel 27
    Galwegians 10 Armagh 26
    Greystones 23 Corinthians 28
    Malone 21 Highfield 14
    Queens University 31 Nenagh 37
    2B
    Skerries 27 Wanderers 34
    City Of Derry 32 Belfast Harlequins 17
    Navan 13 Rainey Old Boys 20
    Old Crescent 45 MU Barnhall 26
    Sundays Well 10 Dungannon 19
    2C
    Omagh 29 Midleton 29
    Seapoint 12 Bangor 8
    Sligo 36 Malahide 14
    Tullamore 20 Thomond 27
    Bective Rangers 21 Bruff 33

Wanderers looked fairly impressive (big strong pack) against a young robust skerries team.

They have your man Garret o suilleabhain at 15 (I think) who destroyed michaels in the SCT final for clongowes a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement

Provincial player participation in AIL 1A/1B over weekend.

Prop
    Oisin Heffernan(Leinster/Terenure) - started at 3.
    Conor Kenny(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 3.
    Brian Scott(Munster/Dolphin) - started at 3.
    Jonny Simpson(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 3.
    Eric O'Sullivan(Ulster/Banbridge) - started at 1.

JP Phelan(Munster/Garryowen) - bench.
    Conan O'Donnell(Connacht/Buccaneers) - bench.
    Tom O'Toole(Ulster/Banbridge) - bench.

Hooker
    Adam McBurney(Ulster/Ballymena) - started at 2.
    Zach McCall(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 2.
    Duncan Casey(Munster/Shannon) - started at 2.

Lock
    Peter Claffey(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 4.
    Peter Browne(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 5.
    Jack Regan(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 7.
    Sean McCarthy(Munster/Shannon) - started at 5.

Backrow
    Paul Boyle(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 8.
    Gavin Coombes(Munster/Young Munster) - started at 8.
    Aaron Hall(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - bench.
    Caleb Montgomery(Ulster/Banbridge) - started at 6.
    Joe Dunleavy(Ulster/Malone) - started at 6.
    James Connolly(Connacht/Naas) - started at 7, 1 try.

Scrumhalf
    Charlie Rock(Leinster/Lansdowne) - started at 9.
    Conor McKeon(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 9.
    Aaron Cairns(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 9, 1 try.
    Jack Stafford(Munster/Shannon) - started at 9.

Outhalf
    Ciaran Frawley(Leinster/UCD) - started at 10, 1 pen, 4 cons.
    Bill Johnston(Munster/Garryowen) - started at 10, 1 pen, 1 con.
    Brett Herron(Ulster/Ballymena) - started at 10, 2 pens.
    Johnny McPhillips(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 10, 2 cons, 2 pens.
    Michael Lowry(Ulster/Banbridge) - started at 10, 1 try.
    JJ Hanrahan(Munster/UL Bohs) - started at 10, 1pen.
    Conor Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon) - started at 10, 1 con, 2 pens.

Outside Backs
    David Johnston(Munster/Garryowen) - started at 15.
    Liam Coombes(Munster/Garryowen) - stated at 14.
    Sam Arnold(Munster/Garryowen) - stated at 13.
    Luke Carty(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 15.
    Daniel Hurley(Munster/Young Munster) - started at 14.
    David Busby(Ulter/Ballynahinch) - started at 11.
    Rob Lyttle(Ulster/Banbridge) - started at 15.
    Stephen Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon) - started at 15, 1 try.
    Jack Owens(Ulster/Malone) - started at 15.

Provincial player participation in AIL 1A/1B over weekend.

Prop
    Oisin Heffernan(Leinster/Terenure) - started at 3.
    Conor Kenny(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 3.
    Brian Scott(Munster/Dolphin) - started at 3.
    Jonny Simpson(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 3.
    Eric O'Sullivan(Ulster/Banbridge) - started at 1.

JP Phelan(Munster/Garryowen) - bench.
    Conan O'Donnell(Connacht/Buccaneers) - bench.
    Tom O'Toole(Ulster/Banbridge) - bench.

Hooker
    Adam McBurney(Ulster/Ballymena) - started at 2.
    Zach McCall(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 2.
    Duncan Casey(Munster/Shannon) - started at 2.

Lock
    Peter Claffey(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 4.
    Peter Browne(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 5.
    Jack Regan(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 7.
    Sean McCarthy(Munster/Shannon) - started at 5.

Backrow
    Paul Boyle(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 8.
    Gavin Coombes(Munster/Young Munster) - started at 8.
    Aaron Hall(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - bench.
    Caleb Montgomery(Ulster/Banbrdige) - started at 6.

Scrumhalf
    Charlie Rock(Leinster/Lansdowne) - started at 9.
    Conor McKeon(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 9.
    Aaron Cairns(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 9, 1 try.
    Jack Stafford(Munster/Shannon) - started at 9.

Outhalf
    Ciaran Frawley(Leinster/UCD) - started at 10, 1 pen, 4 cons.
    Bill Johnston(Munster/Garryowen) - started at 10, 1 pen, 1 con.
    Brett Herron(Ulster/Ballymena) - started at 10, 2 pens.
    Johnny McPhillips(Ulster/Ballynahinch) - started at 10, 2 cons, 2 pens.
    Michael Lowry(Ulster/Banbridge) - started at 10, 1 try.
    JJ Hanrahan(Munster/UL Bohs) - started at 10, 1pen.
    Conor Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon) - started at 10, 1 con, 2 pens.

Outside Backs
    David Johnston(Munster/Garryowen) - started at 15.
    Liam Coombes(Munster/Garryowen) - stated at 14.
    Sam Arnold(Munster/Garryowen) - stated at 13.
    Luke Carty(Connacht/Buccaneers) - started at 15.
    Daniel Hurley(Munster/Young Munster) - started at 14.
    David Busby(Ulter/Ballynahinch) - started at 11.
    Rob Lyttle(Ulster/Banbridge) - started at 15.
    Stephen Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon) - started at 15, 1 try.
    Very Interesting - Think there is only 3 Leinster academy players in the entire list.

Stainalert wrote: »
    Very Interesting - Think there is only 3 Leinster academy players in the entire list.

Yup.. not surprising given how squad split between Dublin and SA, along with 7's commitments.

Prop
    Oisin Heffernan(Year 3/TH Prop/Terenure) - started at 3.
    Jeremy Loughman(Year 3/TH Prop/UCD) - injured
    Vakh Abdaladze(Year 1/LH Prop/Clontarf) - not active.
    Jack Aungier(Year 1/TH Prop/St. Marys) - not active, injured?

Hooker
    Sean McNulty(Year 3/UCD) - not active.
    Ronan Kelleher(Year 1/Lansdowne) - not active, injured?

Lock
    Oisin Dowling(Year 1/Lansdowne) - injured.

Backrow
    Josh Murphy(Year 3/UCD) - injured.
    Will Connors(Year 2/UCD) - 7's
    Caelan Doris(Year 1/St. Marys) - In South Africa

Scrumhalf
    Charlie Rock(Year 3/Lansdowne) - started at 9 for Lansdowne.
    Hugh O'Sullivan(Year 1/Clontarf) - injured.

Outhalf
    Ciaran Frawley(Year 1/UCD) - started at 10, 1 pen, 4 cons.

Outside Backs
    Ian Fitzpatrick(Year 4/Lansdowne) - 7's.
    Conor O'Brien(Year 2/Clontarf) - not active, injured?
    Jimmy O'Brien(Year 2/UCD) - 7's.
    Hugo Keenan(Year 2/UCD) - 7's.
    Terry Kennedy(Year 2/St. Marys) - Injured.
    Jordan Larmour(Year 2/St. Marys) - In South Africa.
    Jack Kelly(Year 2/DUFC) - Injured.
    Gavin Mullin(Year 1/UCD) - not active, injured?
    Tommy O'Brien(Year 1/UCD) - bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

You forgot Johne Murphy and Fionn Carr. Both played for Naas on Saturday. Murphy scored a try, a conversion and two penalties.

Carr, who was also involved in the 7s as far as I know, came on in the second half and made a difference as Naas finally woke up and took it to UL Bohs. JJ Hanrahan was excellent by the way for Bohs, in as much as he was allowed to, especially in the first half.

Apart from that win, my other 1B predictions were all wrong!

Anatom wrote: »
    You forgot Johne Murphy and Fionn Carr. Both played for Naas on Saturday. Murphy scored a try, a conversion and two penalties.

Carr, who was also involved in the 7s as far as I know, came on in the second half and made a difference as Naas finally woke up and took it to UL Bohs. JJ Hanrahan was excellent by the way for Bohs, in as much as he was allowed to, especially in the first half.

Apart from that win, my other 1B predictions were all wrong!

Why would i mention either of them? Neither are involved with a pro team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement