Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LFCTID

Stainalert wrote: »
    3rd Lansdowne try was Alan Bennie and not Jack Dinneen
    sorry was hard to see it as it was a push over try lol dineen was last man up so assumed it was him lol. Irfu report said it was him tho 🀔

MDunne14 wrote: »
    Buccaneers falling apart this year will almost certainly be relegated

Yeah that surprising really they would have been the team I thought would survive the season atleast. With trinity having no big front row and lots of injuries at the start of the campaign I thought they would be the ones to struggle the most. But long way in the season to go yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Buccaneers falling apart this year will almost certainly be relegated
    Yeah they possibly will but shame Connacht wont have a top flight side.
    LFCTID wrote: »
    Yeah that surprising really they would have been the team I thought would survive the season atleast. With trinity having no big front row and lots of injuries at the start of the campaign I thought they would be the ones to struggle the most. But long way in the season to go yet...
    You would have assumed that considering theyd have got plenty of Connacht players involved etc.

Yeah they possibly will but shame Connacht wont have a top flight side.

You would have assumed that considering theyd have got plenty of Connacht players involved etc.
    Agreed! They have shane layden ex connacht centre, ex lansdowne men Craig ronaldson and Conor Mckeown, cian romaine, paul Boyle & Connor Kenny... although I'm sure more stuff will come into play like if the branch want to release those players back into club games for that weekend etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Agreed! They have shane layden ex connacht centre, ex lansdowne men Craig ronaldson and Conor Mckeown, cian romaine, paul Boyle & Connor Kenny... although I'm sure more stuff will come into play like if the branch want to release those players back into club games for that weekend etc...

I was at the game v Trinity-Conor Kenny and Leyden both played-Kenny looked completely unfit and was off after 20 mins and Leyden was up against Michael Courtney and looked distinctly average

• Registered Users Posts: 38 young munster man

Apparently the ref told the ULBohs players there was only 3 points between the two teams, word from the sideline was there was 5 but ref insisted it only 3.[/quote]

Correct thought it was 5 myself

some scenes from the away section in templehill, excellent munsters supports there today
    that picture 😂😂😂. How did colm Skehan and Ger slatts do today?

Ger slá Injured, Skeehan was immense as he has been all this and last season, some scrumager

Look up the young munster twitter feed, they have retested clips of games from our 1993 ail winning season, tis brilliant stuff,

Also google young munster 1993 and you'll see video showing clips of other games and homecoming

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

I was at the game v Trinity-Conor Kenny and Leyden both played-Kenny looked completely unfit and was off after 20 mins and Leyden was up against Michael Courtney and looked distinctly average

Howd sheehan/byrne/dunne/dunne/silvester play?

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Howd sheehan/byrne/dunne/dunne/silvester play?

All U20 and did very well

Anyone who was at the Clontarf game at the weekend able to report on how Hughie O'Sullivan got on at 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Anyone who was at the Clontarf game at the weekend able to report on how Hughie O'Sullivan got on at 9?

My friend was - said he played well but one thing to work on - when he made a bad decision at underage he would get away with - bit different with a 18 stone backrow grabs you.

Kicking needs work too.

Lots of talent though.

My friend was - said he played well but one thing to work on - when he made a bad decision at underage he would get away with - bit different with a 18 stone backrow grabs you.

Kicking needs work too.

Lots of talent though.

well he barely played 9 at underage, at least in school.

Good to hear he went well generally.

Also anyone know how Sean O'Brien did in the centre? saw he got a try.

Also wondering who is the best non-contracted hooker in the league?

Paddy Finlay(DUFC)
    Max Abbott(Cork Con)
    Mark O'Mara(Young Munster)
    Liam Cronin(Garryowen)
    Dylan Donnellan(Clontarf)
    Robbie Smyth(Terenure)
    Richard Halpin(St. Marys)
    Tyrone Moran(Lansdowne)

Am i missing anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gilesdebond

John Sutton - Buccs

John Sutton - Buccs

you rate him to be the best non-contracted hooker in 1A?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Paddy Finlay(DUFC)
    Max Abbott(Cork Con)
    Liam Cronin(Garryowen)
    Robbie Smyth(Terenure)
    Tyrone Moran(Lansdowne)

Am i missing anyone?

Finlay for me, or Moran.

Finlay for me, or Moran.

I think both played for Leinster A last season IIRC.

How would Sean McNulty compare to both in your opinion?

I think both played for Leinster A last season IIRC.

How would Sean McNulty compare to both in your opinion?

I think Finlay is a far better player than McNulty-i dont understand why McNulty is in the academy in the first place

• Advertisement

I think Finlay is a far better player than McNulty-i dont understand why McNulty is in the academy in the first place

It's an interesting one alright.. McNulty was rated ahead of Finaly at underage level.

It's an interesting one alright.. McNulty was rated ahead of Finaly at underage level.

He was - i have watched DUFC play UCD many times over the last few years and when both played at 20s and firsts level-every time i have scratched my head re McNulty and the hype that surrounds him-you never see him carry like Finlay-DUFC scrum was never in trouble either-while Paddy's darts are not always the best im not sure McNultys are any better. As i say pound for pound there is absolute clear water between them. I very much doubt if McNulty will be kept by Leisnter post end this year.

He was - i have watched DUFC play UCD many times over the last few years and when both played at 20s and firsts level-every time i have scratched my head re McNulty and the hype that surrounds him-you never see him carry like Finlay-DUFC scrum was never in trouble either-while Paddy's darts are not always the best im not sure McNultys are any better. As i say pound for pound there is absolute clear water between them. I very much doubt if McNulty will be kept by Leisnter post end this year.

they may need to keep him on due to lack of other options.. they've invested several years in him and they very rarely cut someone straight out of the academy... but it's certainly a possibility..

Leinster have looked at both Finlay and Moran in recent seasons and passed on them..

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gilesdebond

I'd probably go with Abbott.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

well he barely played 9 at underage, at least in school.

Good to hear he went well generally.

Also anyone know how Sean O'Brien did in the centre? saw he got a try.
    Did very well for his try beating 3 or 4 players, probably should have passed but did very well to score. In general he did very well and he got the man of the match for Clontarf.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Did very well for his try beating 3 or 4 players, probably should have passed but did very well to score. In general he did very well and he got the man of the match for Clontarf.

Great to hear, has a good chance at an academy position if not leinster elsewhere.

What was your opinion on hughie at 9?

Paddy Finlay(DUFC)
    Max Abbott(Cork Con)
    Liam Cronin(Garryowen)
    Robbie Smyth(Terenure)
    Tyrone Moran(Lansdowne)

Am i missing anyone?
    Paddy Finlay for me but Liam Cronin also very good annd had been with Trinity until recently while Dylan Donnellan also very good and good for him he's back playing division 1 after playing with Corinthians last season upon returning from France.

Interesting to see Galwegians have agreed to sell their ground.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/galway-rugby-grounds-to-be-sold-for-high-density-housing-1.3275061

Theyve looked before but backed out in end when couldnt find suitable alternative.

Theyve way outgrown Glenina. There's 2 pitches and theyve a few hundred minis as well as 5 Adult sides and 10 age grade sides

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MDunne14

Connacht did a clear out of their academy last year and Buccs lost Shane O’Leary , Rory maloney, Steven mcveigh, Saba meungeria and Danny quarter.. Ronalson hasn’t played a game for them ever and conroy + Mckeon have only played once this season and eoin griffin hasn’t played this year at all due to Connacht .. Conor Kenny just back from year out due to injury , Buccs also missing Dannie poolman due to injury since first game of season and also mata fifita (starting12 last year)

Paddy Finlay(DUFC)
    Max Abbott(Cork Con)
    Liam Cronin(Garryowen)
    Robbie Smyth(Terenure)
    Tyrone Moran(Lansdowne)

Am i missing anyone?

Ger slattery Munsters

Connacht did a clear out of their academy last year and Buccs lost Shane O’Leary, Rory maloney, Steven mcveigh, Saba meungeria and Danny quarter.. Ronalson hasn’t played a game for them ever and conroy + Mckeon have only played once this season and eoin griffin hasn’t played this year at all due to Connacht .. Conor Kenny just back from year out due to injury , Buccs also missing Dannie poolman due to injury since first game of season and also mata fifita (starting12 last year)
    More than the academy which was cleared out. Shane never was in the academy.
    Though will agree with a lot of the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Paddy Finlay for me but Liam Cronin also very good annd had been with Trinity until recently while Dylan Donnellan also very good and good for him he's back playing division 1 after playing with Corinthians last season upon returning from France.

Interesting to see Galwegians have agreed to sell their ground.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/galway-rugby-grounds-to-be-sold-for-high-density-housing-1.3275061

Theyve looked before but backed out in end when couldnt find suitable alternative.

Theyve way outgrown Glenina. There's 2 pitches and theyve a few hundred minis as well as 5 Adult sides and 10 age grade sides

Very good news for Galwegians I would have thought

Stainalert wrote: »
    Very good news for Galwegians I would have thought
    Great news as they would finally have proper facilities for all their teams. Some weekends theyve some underage sides having to train/play on galway city council pitches.
    Could match what Corinthians have in Cloonauncean,

Great to hear, has a good chance at an academy position if not leinster elsewhere.

What was your opinion on hughie at 9?
    Looked very good too, impressively confident for a fresh out of school 9 with an experienced pack in front of him. Lots of barking. Got charged down for one kick but in general looked comfortable. Made good decisions and didn't look rushed.

Paddy Finlay(DUFC)
    Max Abbott(Cork Con)
    Liam Cronin(Garryowen)
    Robbie Smyth(Terenure)
    Tyrone Moran(Lansdowne)

Am i missing anyone?

Ger slattery Munsters
    I'd go with Ger Sla, Dylan or Tyrone Moran.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Looked very good too, impressively confident for a fresh out of school 9 with an experienced pack in front of him. Lots of barking. Got charged down for one kick but in general looked comfortable. Made good decisions and didn't look rushed.

great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Some great matches this week. Thoughts?

1A
    Trinity V Cork Con
    Lansdowne v Garryowen
    Terenure v Buccaneers
    UCD v Clontarf
    Young Munster v St Marys

1B 
    Ballymena v UCC
    Ballynahinch v Naas
    Old Belvedere v UL Bohs
    Old Wesley v Dolphin
    Shannon v Banbridge

Hoping for a Trinity home win.

Con, Lansdowne, Nure and Tarf I reckon - a weekend of forward battles deciding results. Toughest games for me will be UCD v Tarf and Lansdowne GO.

Division 2 games.
    2A
    Corinthians v Cashel
    Greystones v Galwegians
    Malone v Armagh
    Nenagh v Highfield
    Queens v Blackrock
    2B
    Barnhall v Dungannon
    Navan v City of Derry
    Old Crescent v Skerries
    Rainey Old Boys v Wanderers
    2C
    Bangor v Bruff
    Seapoint v Omagh
    Sligo v Midleton
    Thomond v Malahide
    Tullamore v Bective Rangers

• Advertisement

Ben Kilkenny try up on young munster twitter, a wonderscore, also go down a bit there footage from 1993

Trinity side for Cork Con game, No Jack Kelly named.

1. James Bollard
    2. Paddy Finlay
    3. Joe Byrne(u20)
    4. Jack Burke
    5. Jack Dunne(u20)
    6. Sam Pim
    7. Richard Dunne(u20)
    8. David St. Leger
    9. Angus Lloyd
    10. Tommy Whittle
    11. Billy O'Hora
    12. Seb Fromm
    13. Michael Courtney
    14. Hugh Connors
    15. Michael Silvester(u20)
    16. Dan Sheehan(u20)
    17. Darragh Higgins
    18. Niall O'Riordan
    19. Rowan Osborne
    20. James Fennelly

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-coach-joe-schmidt-s-son-called-up-to-ireland-sevens-squad-1.3278278
    This season will mark the final instalment of the British & Irish Cup. A meeting between the England Championship clubs and the English RFU produced a resolution that they no longer wished to play in the competition.

It is likely to provide the IRFU with some scope to potentially stage an A interprovincial championship among the provinces at the start of the season run over eight weeks and that would then allow the academy players to return to their clubs and compete in uninterrupted Ulster Bank League campaigns.

The B&I Cup has long been a bugbear for the clubs and even with a potentially later start to the campaign, having all their academy players available on a regular basis will drive up standards and also increase the quality of the club game.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Paddy Finlay(DUFC)
    Max Abbott(Cork Con)
    Liam Cronin(Garryowen)
    Robbie Smyth(Terenure)
    Tyrone Moran(Lansdowne)

Am i missing anyone?

Ger slattery Munsters
    There is a big discussion in Ulster over this recently, not just hookers. The Club side turning over the Academy guys and Ulster A picking non contracted players for their last two games. I think there is a lot more hidden talent in the AIL in Ulster teams than Ulster realise. Taking the Leinster Academy rejects is not the way forward! 
    On Hookers I would say Peter Cromie for Ulster however in 1B

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

$ausage$ wrote: »
    There is a big discussion in Ulster over this recently, not just hookers. The Club side turning over the Academy guys and Ulster A picking non contracted players for their last two games. I think there is a lot more hidden talent in the AIL in Ulster teams than Ulster realise. Taking the Leinster Academy rejects is not the way forward!

Tom Sexton now with Tarf

$ausage$ wrote: »

Those 'rejects' are better players than Ulster have produced, simple as that.

• Advertisement

Absolutely delighted hearing this!! Don't think any of the 4 provinces really benefitted from this comp from a competitive point of view! Rather watch an AIL game over b&i game any day of the week! Personally think clubs will benefit hugely from this if u remember back to when b&i wasn't around it was also probably the same time the likes of Shannon were flying high and winning back to back etc.. hopefully clubs like them benefit from this and bounce back in few years time as a result of this news.

Absolutely delighted hearing this!! Don't think any of the 4 provinces really benefitted from this comp from a competitive point of view! Rather watch an AIL game over b&i game any day of the week! Personally think clubs will benefit hugely from this if u remember back to when b&i wasn't around it was also probably the same time the likes of Shannon were flying high and winning back to back etc.. hopefully clubs like them benefit from this and bounce back in few years time as a result of this news.

Absolute fantasyland.

This doesnt mean a lot of pro contracted playerz will start playing regularly in the AIL

LFCTID wrote:
    clubs may benefit slightly but will he provinces? I'm not sure. Provinces having these a games gave them control over what players did that they never would with club games
    There is no correlation between Shannon being successful and the a teams playing more games.
    And clubs bounce back to what exactly?

Provinces will still have A games.

Absolute fantasyland.

This doesnt mean a lot of pro contracted playerz will start playing regularly in the AIL

I know unfortunately probably not but I just live in hope it does lol. If u watched the documentary a few weeks back on axel I think it was paul O'Connell spoke about how u used to get only like 5,000 watching a leinster munster game but x3 times at a local ail game years ago. Really would like to see ail back at them numbers but it will probably take slot of wishing tho ha!

• Advertisement
Advertisement