Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources to catch fish from boat

Options
  • 13-05-2017 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

I live in County Donegal.

I don't know the first thing about fishing, but would quite like to take it up.

I have only the most garbage of equipment, one of those rods from Lidl that were about €35 a few weeks back with a predator fish bait pack.

I would like to catch fish to eat, things like Whiting, Cod etc, you know, the stuff one might find in a chip shop! I have 3 cats, so they would enjoy some of the other stuff.

I bought a small Shetland Family 4 last week so can go out in the sea too.

Where do I even begin to go looking? Should I be buying a fishfinder (sounder)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I wouldn't go out in any boat without a sounder. Sea or freshwater.

It's a minimum. But there are many more. Flares. Radio. Life jackets. Rope. Chain. Anchors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Bio Mech wrote: »

It's a minimum. But there are many more. Flares. Radio. Life jackets. Rope. Chain. Anchors.

Ive an anchor already with rope attached. VHF is ordered. I bought what I thought were lifejackets a couple of days ago, but then found that 50N is really just a buoyancy aid. So will keep them if I ever buy a rubber ring. Im ordering 180N auto inflate jackets. Handy seeing as I cannot swim.

Never thought of flares, which is weird as its so obvious. Will order them too.

What would I be using a chain for?

Bio Mech wrote: »

Any recommendations on a sounder?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,778 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You want to have a plan b if the engine fails which with outboards they regularly can whether that be with mechanical fault or as easy as say running across a rope in the propellor and the drive pin snaps to protect gearbox. With something like an Orkney Longliner you should be able to row it with a pair of oars, when you go bigger to say an Orkney 575 you would want to carry a 2nd spare outboard should the main fail.

Ideally you should get a VHF radio so you can be in contact with other boats and the emergency services should you run in to difficulties. A mobile phone is useful too. Always tell at least one person ashore when you are expected to return.

The fishfinder will be good if there's a large shoal of mackeral or herring but is unlikely to find smaller quantities of fish, starting off I wouldn't bother with it. You should keep an eye on where the local boats go to fish, you can't beat local knowledge, perhaps there's an angling club that you can join too? If you have access to marine charts you will see areas of shallow or rocky ground where fish would tend to be found, here's a link to online charts...
    http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@7&key=m~bmI%7Czns%40

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

I think it would be a good idea to go out with an experienced fisherman before taking off on your own. For safety reasons mostly but also for tips on catching the fish.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

I worked in fishing boats for several years, but that was about 20+ years ago now. Also they were larger vessels, smallest being 55ft. It was crabbing though, not actual fish.

I have been out a couple of times in the last week just messing about seeing what the boat is like. I left from Wood Quarter and then Ramelton. I used Navionics on my phone, seems like a great equivalent to a chart plotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Oh to have that kind of disposable income!!

I 2nd the motion of going out with experienced fishermen or even spending money on tuition - the sea is unforgiving, I toyed with the idea of buying a sea boat but the one thing holding me back was I needed water time on someone elses boat to learn the ropes!

In saying that I do hope you have a superb time and wish you the very best with it :D

Has anyone used the Sonarphone system? The SP200 has a 12V transducer you attach to your boat and it sends the results by wifi to your mobile device. Im struggling to find reviews which dont seem to really be adverts. I like that it integrates with the Navionics app.

My thinking is that I could have a chart plotter and sounder for very little money. However Im unsure if they are comparable to more professional stand alone products.

Advertisement