Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a way to prevent a cake from freezing in the freezer?

Options
  • 13-05-2017 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Ok this sounds daft but here me out. So I want to bake a banana bread icecream cake. The cake involves icecream to be put between 2 layers of the cake and around the cake. I want to freeze this icecream cake for hours at a time because it isn't practicable for me to serve it immediately. Therefore I am basically wondering is there any ingredient that can be put into the banana bread to prevent it from freezing in the freezer ? I want to keep the icecream frozen yet keep the banana bread unfrozen. the icecream cake would have to be put in the freezer for at least 4 hrs so it's too long of a time for the banana bread to stay unfrozen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Typical domestic freezer is -18 or so.
    I'm speculating, but I'd doubt it would be possible for any additive to stop sponge freezing at that temperature.

I've a cake in the freezer right now. It says to remove from the freezer and leave stand for an hour before serving.

Does your freezer allow you to set it to -4 or so?
    If so then the ice cream should stay frozen, but the standing time would be reduced to minutes or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Ice cream cakes are usually made with thin layers of sponge cake because of its lighter texture - even when it's frozen, you can cut through it easily, and it melts in the mouth.
    A denser, heavier structured cake like banana bread has a higher level of moisture, so it freezes hard. This makes it unsuitable for use in frozen desserts, as it will thaw more slowly than the ice cream.
    You can't prevent that, because science.
    That's my take on it anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Jap Sigh!

Keep banana bread and ice-cream separate, putting the ice-cream in the freezer, and the banana bread in the fridge, combining them only when you have to - I.E at serving time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jap Sigh! wrote: »
    Keep banana bread and ice-cream separate, putting the ice-cream in the freezer, and the banana bread in the fridge, combining them only when you have to - I.E at serving time.
    thats what I'd be doing.

Keep cakes in airtight containers in the fridge or they will dry out. There maybe some prep work on the ice cream that you can do before hand. Like it its a round cake in shallow tins then you can turn the banana bread out and freeze those tins and slice the ice cream and put it into the tins and refreeze. So the prep time at serving is very fast, just turn out the ice cream onto the first layer and then top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

As other posters have mentioned banana bread will freeze quite hard because of the high moisture levels. However replacing some or all of the sugar in the recipe with an invert sugar such as trimoline, glucose or glycerin may help. invert sugar helps prevent crystallisation, and I have found it leads to foods not freezing as hard

Advertisement