Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sutcliffe BoxNation card.

• 13-05-2017 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭

On now..good scrap.,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Early stoppage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pac_man wrote: »
    Gutted for Phil. He was hurt but that fight was stopped too early.

Looked a little early, but Foster looked real close before deciding to call it. Phil looked hurt and ready to go.

Buncey spot on..

I don't think he did look real close.
    From what I saw, Phil got hurt with two shots. First landed and then Phil threw something back, second one landed and Phil instinctively held onto leather, like what any fighter would do when you get hurt. He jumped in too early.

He did look close. Watch it again. He was right up close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just in now and I know it's a good problem to have, but I hate when there's two boxing cards on two different channels at the same time. I inevitable end up missing important parts of some fights as I'm watching the other.

I think this Yafai / Davis fight could be a good one.

• Advertisement

Either way Phil was likely going to lose via KO or points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Foster in poor stoppage shocker. Buncey is pals with him so is never gonna slag him off.

Sutcliffe hung on to Leather's arm which is literally exactly what you're supposed to do when hurt. Eyes shouldn't be enough to jump in even if bad. He still had the presence of mind to hold and should've been given the time to clear his head. Brutal stoppage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Another dodgy Foster stoppage there. Adams landing **** all clean and opponent punching back. Decent British referees really are in short supply.

Sammy Eggington in another entertaining fight. I felt he was winning well, but the commentary had it level, when he landed a beautiful combination to KO the Spaniard.

Round 7 was a classic.

Kal Yafai looking very impressive so far, though the Japanese looks really up for it. I think Yafai will eventually stop him, but he'll be made work every second.

• Advertisement

F*cking hell, two very watchable fights on together. Yafai really being made to work hard, but Warrington's fight looks good too.

This Muranaka is unbelievably tough. Getting nailed over and over and just keeps coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭phily2002

Thought Kiko got robbed there. Hometown call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

No disrespect to Phil but he's not going much further than the level he's been fighting at...He's now gone life or death with Jenkins and while he was competitive last night he was being outclassed badly in spots each round.

I'm sure he'll rally and come again but he hasn't overly impressed me if I'm being totally honest.

I think the stoppage was premature and that seems to be the general concensus around social media etc but he was getting caught too often in the fight and it wasn't the first time he was hurt.

Warrington going nowhere..is he the most overrated in Britain? Seems to have this hype and following the past couple of years..

Kiko...you gotta love the guy. Pure grit and in your face effort..I admire him, and have for quite a few years. He grew on me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

walshb wrote: »
    Warrington going nowhere..is he the most overrated in Britain? Seems to have this hype and following the past couple of years..

Kiko...you gotta love the guy. Pure grit and in your face effort..I admire him, and have for quite a few years. He grew on me..

I missed last nights fight, I love watching Warrington, a really skillful fighter, probably my favourite fighter out there right now. The few reports I have read all seem to agree that he was more than fortunate to get the win. Kiko is a decent benchmark but nothing more at this stage, disappointing that he struggled.

Hopefully with the stable switch out of the way he will get fighting more regularily & it can bring him on again.

In terms of being overrated, depends on how highly you rate him. I would see it very hard for him to be a World Champion with his complete lack of power at that level.

I think there's a misunderstanding between hype and popularity. The only person I've seen hyping up Warrington was Steve Bunce, who was talking nonsense saying that he'd beat Gary Russell.

Love the Kiko comment. Gives it his all.I thought he was a shot fighter,
    he's certainly not like he's used to be but he did very well last night.

Maybe more popularity I suppose. Yes, that is it....

Kiko is definitely past his best days, but a real true and committed competitor.

Just saw the Sutcliffe fight for the first time and that was an absolute bullsh*t stoppage. Even Richie Woodhall, who is always very biased towards English boxers, believed it was premature. And the worst thing was that it was a very good fight, great two-way action.

Having said that I like the look of Leather. Worth keeping an eye on.

Classy interview from Phil aftewards too.

I watched it again, and yes, seemed a little premature, but Foster was looking closely and was looking concerned. It wasn't some con job. He acted right there and then being very close to Phil. Referees have at times a thankless job. They step in they get slated, then don't they get slated. It's far from an exact science in a sport where one extra shot could be the difference between life and death.

Phil was taking a few hard shots before he got stopped. They were hard and clean and consistent. Plus, he was rocked and wobbled. Yes, he held, and fired a shot or two back, but that doesn't mean the referee has to allow it continue. Phil didn't need to be completely helpless before Foster stepped in.

Advertisement