Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed contract, now a long wait?

Options
  • 13-05-2017 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi. I recently started a job. Got offered the job at the end of April, went in as instructed to sign my contract on Tuesday May 2nd. At this meeting, I was told that I would start that Saturday or Sunday, and would get an email before then with the roster.

Got no email that week. Emailed HR on Tuesday just gone to politely ask when I would be starting. They emailed me back on Thursday evening. This email said they'd get back to me and I would be starting that weekend. After hearing nothing else from them, I rang on Friday afternoon. On the phone, I was told that HR was busy. They'd email me.

Now it's Saturday night and I still haven't received another email. I can't help but feel a bit frustrated. I really need the work, so I can't wait forever to be given shifts. I'm a student so I don't have much experience with contracts and jobs. I don't know how normal this kind of wait between signing a contract and starting is. Am I being played around?

* It's a part-time job in a large hotel by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Yes, they are treating you very shabbily, and I would be looking elsewhere if you have other options on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Hi. I recently started a job. Got offered the job at the end of April, went in as instructed to sign my contract on Tuesday May 2nd. At this meeting, I was told that I would start that Saturday or Sunday, and would get an email before then with the roster.

Got no email that week. Emailed HR on Tuesday just gone to politely ask when I would be starting. They emailed me back on Thursday evening. This email said they'd get back to me and I would be starting that weekend. After hearing nothing else from them, I rang on Friday afternoon. On the phone, I was told that HR was busy. They'd email me.

Now it's Saturday night and I still haven't received another email. I can't help but feel a bit frustrated. I really need the work, so I can't wait forever to be given shifts. I'm a student so I don't have much experience with contracts and jobs. I don't know how normal this kind of wait between signing a contract and starting is. Am I being played around?

* It's a part-time job in a large hotel by the way.

Messing you about all right. What will they like when you are employed by them!
    Wait for them to get back to you but Keep looking elsewhere in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

I work in hotels and this is bad practice but not uncommon, most likely its not as busy as expected so they'll keep you waiting till they do,look else where now before all hotel jobs are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

thanks for your replies. I thought as much. It could be a not very busy as you said Eggox. Anyway, I'm going to keep looking elsewhere in the meantime and see what happens.

Advertisement