If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha RXV481

Options
  • 14-05-2017 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭

Some background:
    Was looking for a kitchen speaker to place over one of the cabinets ideally with radio (antenna or internet) and network functionality where I have a power source and network connection. Was decided on a Bose SoundTouch 20 Series III.

Kitchen is 5.6m x 3.3m with an open dining area of 3.8m x 3.2m so then started thinking dual speakers with one in each corner would be better so started looking at powered speakers such as the JBL C2Ps with the addition of a ChromeCast audio. I am doing some renovation work upstairs so can lay speaker cable overhead.  Powered speakers however I felt were somewhat lacking in functionality and value for money so I then started looking at passive speakers and an amp.

Initially I was looking at the cheapest possible amp but it was proving difficult to find anything with a bit of power.  I have future plans to put speakers in an upstairs bedroom so the idea of having a decent amp was appealing so was narrowing in on the Yamaha R-N301 until a boards member mentioned the Yamaha RXV481.  A different direction but an interesting one.

The reviews and functionality look good and there isn’t a huge step up in price.  The added benefit of the included wireless and bluetooth offer a good return for the bump in price.  I can adopt the separate zone B terminals for upstairs and operating it via the smartphone sounds great.  What would be your views of the Yamaha RXV481 given the above?

In terms of speakers I was thinking of the JBL Control 1.  Look like a good rugged and powerful set and the included wall brackets are very appealing especially when trying to minimise costs.  I was thinking of the JBL Control 1 Pro but I don’t think the lower 4 ohm impedance would suit the setup?

As such what’s the best EUR and GBP price you can offer on the Yamaha RXV481 plus two sets of JBL Control 1 (unless you can suggest better) delivered to Dublin. I did see you had the receiver on a Paddy’s Day sale for €299 but not sure if this was the older model with 6 hdmi inputs versus the newer model with 4 hdmi 2.2 inputs instead.

Thanks and apologies for such a long post.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Some background:
    Was looking for a kitchen speaker to place over one of the cabinets ideally with radio (antenna or internet) and network functionality where I have a power source and network connection. Was decided on a Bose SoundTouch 20 Series III.

Kitchen is 5.6m x 3.3m with an open dining area of 3.8m x 3.2m so then started thinking dual speakers with one in each corner would be better so started looking at powered speakers such as the JBL C2Ps with the addition of a ChromeCast audio. I am doing some renovation work upstairs so can lay speaker cable overhead.  Powered speakers however I felt were somewhat lacking in functionality and value for money so I then started looking at passive speakers and an amp.

Initially I was looking at the cheapest possible amp but it was proving difficult to find anything with a bit of power.  I have future plans to put speakers in an upstairs bedroom so the idea of having a decent amp was appealing so was narrowing in on the Yamaha R-N301 until a boards member mentioned the Yamaha RXV481.  A different direction but an interesting one.

The reviews and functionality look good and there isn’t a huge step up in price.  The added benefit of the included wireless and bluetooth offer a good return for the bump in price.  I can adopt the separate zone B terminals for upstairs and operating it via the smartphone sounds great.  What would be your views of the Yamaha RXV481 given the above?

In terms of speakers I was thinking of the JBL Control 1.  Look like a good rugged and powerful set and the included wall brackets are very appealing especially when trying to minimise costs.  I was thinking of the JBL Control 1 Pro but I don’t think the lower 4 ohm impedance would suit the setup?

As such what’s the best EUR and GBP price you can offer on the Yamaha RXV481 plus two sets of JBL Control 1 (unless you can suggest better) delivered to Dublin. I did see you had the receiver on a Paddy’s Day sale for €299 but not sure if this was the older model with 6 hdmi inputs versus the newer model with 4 hdmi 2.2 inputs instead.

Thanks and apologies for such a long post.
    Hi Dr_Colossus.

Thanks for the post.

The 481 is a cracking amp and has lots of functions as you mention.

It could be use as requested with no issues.

The JBL Control 1 pro are not a speaker that we keep stock of but maybe able to special order them in but 4ohms would give the 481 extra work to do to run them.

I'm not sure which amp was in the Saint Patrick's day sale but it could not have been an older version as they have been discontinued for over a year now. It may have been the 381 which is the model below the 481.

Best pricing would be:
    RXV481 priced at £269.00 or 349.99 Euro
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201987-rxv481.aspx

Control 1 speakers priced at £99.00 or 119.99 Euro per pair.
    I could drop to £89.00 or 109.99 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-910068-control-1.aspx

Total would then be £453.99 including delivery or 568.98 Euro including delivery.

Let me know what you think.

Any questions drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I'm not sure which amp was in the Saint Patrick's day sale but it could not have been an older version as they have been discontinued for over a year now. It may have been the 381 which is the model below the 481.

Best pricing would be:

Total would then be £453.99 including delivery or 568.98 Euro including delivery.

Thanks for the response.
    Is was the RXV481 alright for €299 as per below link as the RXV381 was that bit cheaper at €249.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057718607/1#post102941726
    Your FX rate looks off anyway on the receiver, £269 vs €350 works out at over 1.301 GPB/EUR which is extreme when the list price of the speakers at £99 vs €120 are a more realistic 1.212 GBP/EUR.

Regarding the speakers not seeing any major benefit to the JBL Control 1 Pro's over the ordinary variety so happy enough with those.

Can you price match the receiver sale price from a couple of months ago, would take it off your hands for the €299 or £250. It and the two sets of JBL Control 1s for £428?

Best pricing would be:

Thanks for the response.
    Is was the RXV481 alright for €299 as per below link as the RXV381 was that bit cheaper at €249.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057718607/1#post102941726
    Your FX rate looks off anyway on the receiver, £269 vs €350 works out at over 1.301 GPB/EUR which is extreme when the list price of the speakers at £99 vs €120 are a more realistic 1.212 GBP/EUR.

Regarding the speakers not seeing any major benefit to the JBL Control 1 Pro's over the ordinary variety so happy enough with those.

Can you price match the receiver sale price from a couple of months ago, would take it off your hands for the €299 or £250. It and the two sets of JBL Control 1s for £428?
    Hi Dr_Colossus,

Unfortunately I can't match the sale price from March. As Kenny says the best we can do on that bundle would be £269 for the RXV481 and £89 per pair of Control 1s so you would be looking at a total of £453.99.

Our Euro rate is not just worked out by straight conversion rates, it also takes into account Irish market prices for the same items so sometimes it works out cheaper to pay in sterling.

Let me know if you'd like to go ahead with that.

Kind regards

David

Fair enough, you drive a hard bargain, could you throw in delivery at least and leave it at £447?  Not in any rush so if you wanted to wait and bulk it with a few other Dublin based orders that would work also.  Unfortunately I'm never in Belfast to collect and miss having a good audio store here to browse.

Will send you a PM with my contact details and hopefully we can get the order rolling as I've spent enough time now looking and thinking of options.
    Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

£447 Boardie deal including shipping - Done :)

PM or email the guys your contact details ( sales@richersounds.ie ) and Kenny or David will give you a shout to arrange a delivery for you.

Best regards,

John Mc & crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Just a word of thanks, products arrived yesterday all present and correct in under 24hrs after ordering.  Courier very punctual with arrival time and a great service all round.  A busy weekend ahead setting up and learning the new system.

On a side note I was in Harvey Norman yesterday and by chance saw the same Yamaha RXV481 receiver on sale for a list price of €499.  Good old rip off republic still kicking. 

A first time but long term customer earned and will be recommending you to all who'll listen.

Just a word of thanks, products arrived yesterday all present and correct in under 24hrs after ordering.  Courier very punctual with arrival time and a great service all round.  A busy weekend ahead setting up and learning the new system.

On a side note I was in Harvey Norman yesterday and by chance saw the same Yamaha RXV481 receiver on sale for a list price of €499.  Good old rip off republic still kicking. 

A first time but long term customer earned and will be recommending you to all who'll listen.
    Hey Dr_Colossus.

Excellent news :D

It's always good to hear when we get it right. As we try really hard to provide a top class, hassle free experience for our customers.

Now for a few hours of getting things set up. It will be worth it!

If you do have any setup questions just drop me a PM or a post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.