Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden help

Options
  • 14-05-2017 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

I want to raise my lawn a bit, as I have a bit of left over gravel (1.5ton) in situ from another project. So it's sitting on grass right now, big pile.

I need to know do I need to put down membrane on the lawn, i.e. remove the gravel and apply the membrane then reapply the gravel, then top soil and finally sod or seed.

Or can I spread it out as is and put a membrane on the gravel which would be less Labour intensive.

History.

We had no drainage in the grass as we have dogs and they compacted the surface, so water would pool and not drain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not sure you are going to gain anything by putting soil/gravel on top of a compacted lawn. You will still have pooling water and less chance of the lawn growing with a layer of gravel just under the surface, and that will in turn be compacted.

I suggest you rotavate the lawn and break up the compacted soil. If it is clay then adding some of the gravel to it would probably help drainage. You need to look at how the lawn slopes and why and where the water is pooling. The gravel might be better used as deeper drains.

I am not sure why you would put in membrane, it will end up being a liability. I am not an expert in this area so you may get better advice, but this would be my gut feeling on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

What if I put in ballylusk instead of grass. Could I then use the gravel, weedblock and then a layer of ballylusk gravel.

Then I would have a low maintenance garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It won't be a garden then, it'll be a driveway without any cars.

edit: that's a bit negative, sorry. I just like grass.

Advertisement