Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling Windows 7 in 2017

Options
  • 14-05-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

As the title says doing a fresh install of Windows 7 (on an up to recently unused laptop) and in light of recent world events I might not be the only one.

I am looking for up to date (not before 2017) experience or advice on quickly, conveniently and SECURELY getting a fresh W7 install fully updated and patched.

Installing and updating W7 used to simple before W10
    Now it is being hobbled.

To begin everything installed fine and activated from my trusty DVD.
    However it is becoming obvious MS don't really want people to do this and seem to be making updating a bit more cumbersome and less reliable.
    And I suspect driver update is hobbled too (had to rescue some fairly standard drivers from the old install that used to be findable)

Updating to sp1 works fine through Windows update but after that it seems to stop finding new updates.
    Sp1 has had a big warning inserted to let you know you are using outdated software and pretty much what do you think you are doing.
    But I didn't want 10 and even if I did the laptop wasn't compatible anyway so boo 10
    And I was stuck with Internet Explorer 6.

A little digging reveals a Convenience roll up from April 2016 which seems to have been pretty much dodgy from release and rereleased June 2016, July and September so that really inspires me with confidence NOT.

Eventually I arrived at KB3172605 inks download centre and in MS Update catalog an 18.2mb (not quite what I was hoping for) and no info at all. Presume it just kicks off what is basically windows update, eh?

Where's my conveniently rolled up download, my ISO, my anything now that Digital River is gone?

So anyone got any up to the minute advice on recent W7 updating?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Just in case, I always have the SP and any other useful applications / drivers on a separate Hard Drive ready to go so I don't have to rely on the "oh so useful" Windows Updates.

Is it not allowing you to update? You may need to resort to an MS Fixit to get things going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It will update, its just a lot slower than before. Noticeable change this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If i am doing an install, i just use an offline windows update tool, which pre-downloads all the updates required to bring an Win7 installation up to do date, and then does all the installation/restarting required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Lu Tze wrote: »
    If i am doing an install, i just use an offline windows update tool, which pre-downloads all the updates required to bring an Win7 installation up to do date, and then does all the installation/restarting required.
    Which do you recommend? Wsusoffline.net?

I'd like to have a bulk download I could burn to DVD for future installs just like a sp.
    A slipstreamed install would be nice but haven't time at the mo to put one together.
    Little bit suspect of third party utils unless can be sure they are malware free.

me_irl wrote: »
    Just in case, I always have the SP and any other useful applications / drivers on a separate Hard Drive ready to go so I don't have to rely on the "oh so useful" Windows Updates.

Is it not allowing you to update? You may need to resort to an MS Fixit to get things going again.
    Normally that's the route I'd take but didn't get around to downloading all the offline updates for the past few years. I've noticed they like to mess with updates later such as putting in that warning in sp1. Should have used my original sp1 update wherever I put it.
    I'm actually updating a few out of date machines but just one from fresh install.
    The other machines are sort of updating in fits and starts, had several failed updates and many no show updates, but the fresh install is the one failing to find new updates.
    ED E wrote: »
    It will update, its just a lot slower than before. Noticeable change this time last year.

Yeah, it would appear MS are not really interested in supporting W7 for much longer. Learning from xp I'd say they don't want w7 to last as long. Making it too good in the first place isn't financially viable.
    I'll keep trying but realise I do need offline updates for if and when they get pulled completely as well as saving hassle for other machines I'd like to refresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

See if THIS helps any

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Installing KB3020369 and KB3172605 resolves the slow update checking issue.

But as mentioned above, KB3125574 saves a lot of time too.

I'm not convinced windows update is even finding all the required updates or even installing them correctly.
    Eg Nov 2016 and jan 2017 security monthly quality roll up for w7
    Kb3197868 and 3212646 showing as failed on one machine and not showing at all on the other, yet April kb4015549 is showing successful.
    No sign of dec 2016 or February/march. (Think they skipped one)
    Looking at the docs, 3212646 though for w7 and server2008r2 only lists server2008r2 in the applies to list.

I'm not even certain the wannacry vulnerability is addressed in the April roll up such is the lack of info on their documentation.
    As one observer noted even for W10 the April update was revised several times.
    Really annoying when they revise datestamped updates retrospectively. You never know what you're getting.

Are there any free security auditing tools to identify what's missing?

Advertisement