Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drop to pass English or Irish

Options
  • 14-05-2017 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I need drop to pass in a subject and I'm thinking between irish and English. I'm leaning towards irish as I don't think ill need it and i feel that having pass English doesn't look too good on a resume. Any feedback would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

How did you do in English and Irish in the Junior Cert?

I'd definitely recommend doing ordinary Irish unless you have a good reason to do ordinary English. Unless you want to do primary teaching, doing ordinary Irish will have no affect on your course choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Conor273

VG31 wrote: »
    How did you do in English and Irish in the Junior Cert?

I'd definitely recommend doing ordinary Irish unless you have a good reason to do ordinary English. Unless you want to do primary teaching, doing ordinary Irish will have no affect on your course choices.

I got a C in english and a B in irish and I'm pretty sure i won't go into teaching so irish is looking more likely.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

I'd say you're better off doing pass Irish, English would benefit you more in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Do Pass Irish, it's far handier get a decent grade in honours English than honours Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'd have to disagree with the above. If you've a good enough level of Irish (which a B in JC HL would suggest) it'd be easy enough to achieve a good grade in HL Irish. The course is way shorter than the English one and the Oral is worth 40% which is a godsend really. English is much more time-consuming. Also the only courses I've ever seen which require a HL in English are courses like Journalism which you'd obviously have to have an interest in English to want to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I would say keep Higher Irish and drop to Pass English. Considering you got a B at Higher for Irish, you should be able for it for the Leaving. In my opinion, Irish is easier to work on compared to English due to the course content, especially considering you have the 40% oral which you'll have done before the actual exam.

Advertisement