Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question proof of funds

Options
  • 14-05-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a question regarding Proof of funds when it comes to buying in cash.
    We're going to view a house within our cash budget.
    The thing is that a small part of the budget is yet to be released in a few weeks time. Can we make a bid and if so, how can we proof that there is this last bit coming into the account? Or do we have to wait?
    The payment is a lump sum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

I made a cash purchase last year and had some of the funds in a Share Portfolio. The selling agent would not accept a statement from the stock broker as proof of funds. They would only include funds in a bank account as accepted proof of funds. Maybe it depends on the agent you are dealing with, but I expect you'll have to wait for the funds to be in place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's no hard and fast rules, it really depends on the agent.

Most agents just want to know you're in a realistic position to complete a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Would you reckon that the EA could be satisfied with the proof we have and an explanation of the situation? I just don't want to give an EA too much information that wouldn't be none of his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

LirW wrote: »
    Would you reckon that the EA could be satisfied with the proof we have and an explanation of the situation? I just don't want to give an EA too much information that wouldn't be none of his business.

It rather seems it is his business though.

All you can do it try it tbh.

If we like it we can just hope that he's a chill lad since it's a rural EA.

Would they need a bank statement with exact numbers? (This was what I was referring to) Because I wouldn't want to give my whole budget in numbers to the EA in case of bidding or are they usually satisfied with a letter from the bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Be careful showing the EA your proof of funds.
    If he knows you have more money than the current bid he may attemp to drive up the price. you are essentially showing him your hand.

When I was buying (mortgage customer with some cash). I only ever showed the EA a letter from the bank indicating that I was approved for a mortgage. There was no figure on the letter.
    As you are a cash buyer and if you don't want to disclose your full finiancial details to the EA you could ask your solicitor to write a letter indicating that you have sufficient funds in place to complete the purchase.

That is actually an amazing idea, thanks a lot Brownej!

Advertisement