Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor

Options
  • 14-05-2017 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My dads work shop was broken into last nigh night tools taken and a few other bits .
    Question I have is this ...the shop has a good alarm system which is monitored.
    We have two 360 pir sensors each end on ceiling..person who broke in got down through the roof...and he spent a good 30 minutes trying to break into an empty safe 🙄 Still managed to rob two grands worth of stuff..
    Why didn't pir triger the alarm...our security firm just waffled on without giving a proper reason...not impressed that he was able to stay on premises that long...
    The location he spent most was about 30 foot away from nearest roof mounted pir...
    Anyone any idea

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

harr wrote: »
    Hi
    My dads work shop was broken into last nigh night tools taken and a few other bits .
    Question I have is this ...the shop has a good alarm system which is monitored.
    We have two 360 pir sensors each end on ceiling..person who broke in got down through the roof...and he spent a good 30 minutes trying to break into an empty safe 🙄 Still managed to rob two grands worth of stuff..
    Why didn't pir triger the alarm...our security firm just waffled on without giving a proper reason...not impressed that he was able to stay on premises that long...
    The location he spent most was about 30 foot away from nearest roof mounted pir...
    Anyone any idea

Thanks

Could of been the distance from the PIR to his location.
    Have the detectors being tested to rule this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

altor wrote: »
    Could of been the distance from the PIR to his location.
    Have the detectors being tested to rule this out?
    Getting them tested tomorrow but we were assured the two would cover the full the floor space...but seemingly because he came down from roof he didn't break the beams? Which is no good to us really...must be another option...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Getting them tested tomorrow but we were assured the two would cover the full the floor space...but seemingly because he came down from roof he didn't break the beams? Which is no good to us really...must be another option...

You may need extra devices installed if you feel you have a few spots not covered.

altor wrote: »
    You may need extra devices installed if you feel you have a few spots not covered.
    That won't be a problem I just wish the security company had of realised this...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Interested to know if the security company have any liability if their installation was sub-par?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Interested to know if the security company have any liability if their installation was sub-par?
    Insurance company calling out tomorrow as well ,interesting to see what they have to say..he has cctv as well so it's all recorded..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Was this a typical cheap alarm system?

kub wrote: »
    Was this a typical cheap alarm system?
    No was fairly expensive with full cctv system as well. It wasn't your typical domestic system..As he sometimes works with gold and silver he wanted the place well protected...luckily he wasn't working on any expensive items at the moment...the security company is well established and in business over 20 years.

No was fairly expensive with full cctv system as well. It wasn't your typical domestic system..As he sometimes works with gold and silver he wanted the place well protected...luckily he wasn't working on any expensive items at the moment...the security company is well established and in business over 20 years.

If i was you I would be asking them to call out and explain in plain English why the system did not activate. A limited system in a premises where there is gold and silver sometimes stored is not good enough.

If i was you I would be asking them to call out and explain in plain English why the system did not activate. A limited system in a premises where there is gold and silver sometimes stored is not good enough.
    My dad has the owner calling tomorrow and as you said it will need to be explained in lay man terms...the engineer out today was bombarding dad with technical stuff that went over his head..
    Don't know if it would have been possible for burglars to disarm the sensor...the alarm did trigger after the intruder left..alarm panel said alarm was triggered by the PIR ....monitoring company rang us then, not a lot of good after the ****er was walking around workshop for 30 minutes..

• Advertisement

Well the purpose of a professionally installed and monitored Intruder Alarm system is to notify a central monitoring station and activate as soon as an intruder either attempts to or has gained entry to a premises.

I could and indeed would like to establish a few things, but on a public forum I do not want to.
    By all means and if you want to, send me a PM in the morning and we can chat further then.

Well the purpose of a professionally installed and monitored Intruder Alarm system is to notify a central monitoring station and activate as soon as an intruder either attempts to or has gained entry to a premises.

I could and indeed would like to establish a few things, but on a public forum I do not want to.
    By all means and if you want to, send me a PM in the morning and we can chat further then.

Thanks PM sent

Advertisement