Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentation - What to carry at all times?

• 14-05-2017 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys, I'm new to riding in Ireland. Been over here from the states for almost three years and have finally got the bike and licensing all in order (jaysus, don't get me started..)

My question is what are the important docs that you're required/recommended to have on you at all times?

Ie. if the guards pull me over what are they gonna ask for?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

license, tax disc, proof of insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

license, tax disc, proof of insurance

I'm not sure about proof of insurance, you don't need it for your test and they seem to be as by the book as it gets. You just sign an affidavite type document. I stopped carrying mine cause the page was being destroyed from wear and tear. My dad has never carried his and he has bikes 40 odd year.

I think those three things are what you have to carry but I don't carry anything, sometimes the license if I can be arsed moving it from my wallet. tax disc is on the bike

and if you're on the provisional then your ibt cert has to be with you too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have to carry - tax and license.
    Should - insurance.

I don't carry my insurance but do have the details with me. I have never been asked for proof of insurance and been through a few checkpoints.

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Safe-driving/For-Motorcyclists/New-Regulations/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I haven;t displayed a tax disk on my bike in about 10 years. Touch wood I have not had any problems so far.

I only sometimes have my licence on me, keep meaning to photocopy and keep in my jacket or on the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Been pulled over a few times and was only ever asked for license and tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Never pulled over on the bike, never carry insurance with me and the only reason I carry a tax disc is to place it strategically.

Only thing I carry is my licence to kill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Contact number for next of kin, (paper, not hi tech) and hope it's never needed. Ride safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

You can get by without anything so long as you show up with it at a station within 10 days......I dont see a problem with that if you have everything legit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

sonofenoch wrote: »
    You can get by without anything so long as you show up with it at a station within 10 days......I dont see a problem with that if you have everything legit

Not legally true. You can be done for non-display of tax, and for not having your license with you. There are two charges - one for non-display and one for not having. The latter you can quash by producing within 10 days, but the former they can still do you for. All depends on their mood. :rolleyes:

Most of the time, you get away with producing, but you just never know.

• Advertisement

that is very good advice paul, you can get away with it but you have to be very sorry about not having it, not just "ah yeah well sure I have 10 days to show it" if they're in a bad mood or you fail the personality test; they can as you say get you even if it's all in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Legally, tax and licence is all that's needed. It's worth carrying insurance, it's not exactly heavy, I carry mine in a little zip lock bag in my bike jacket inside pocket. If you are stopped and show insurance (even though you don't need to carry it) it saves a bit of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I always bring licence and I've a screenshot of my insurance on my phone if they ever ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Where have all the "rebels" gone.....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I only sometimes carry my licence on me.

Sorry garda,I dont have it on me,but I will produce my licence,tax and insurance to my local garda station later on this evening or tomorrow.

Its as simple as that.

Advertisement