Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed about new job, unsure what to do, stay or go.

Options
  • 14-05-2017 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I graduated college there recently and started working in a role closely related to my degree however it's a badly paid sector and I am only on €10 an hour.
    I have been there a couple of weeks and I am still getting stressed and anxious when thinking about work, I am a worrier anyhow but I really hate it. The staff are all lovely and welcoming. I don't know if having to work 40 hours a week is just a shock to the system and maybe I am just being weak worrying about it. I just break down crying whenever I think about it. My doctor is well aware that I am a worrier before anyone suggests depression. Also done CBT to death, it works sometimes.
    It's a manualish job and I have already hurt my back and had restrictions placed on the type of work I can do. I did have a bad back beforehand from a lifetime of anxiety. I wanted to work in a different area of this sector (why I did the degree) however experience could be require from the current job I am, I just don't know how much longer I can stick. I know I probably sound like a child from the snowflake generation and maybe I just need to get on with it, but my anxiety comes with twitching, IBS, Shaking etc. People at work can tell something is wrong when my hands are shaking so much or my eye is twitching.
    I really don't know what to do, I don't want it to effect my CV. If anyone has any advice on what they think of my situation? Leave, Stay, Look for another job?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

How long is it since you finished your degree?

Personally I would not be too worried about handing in your notice considering it is such a low paid job. If you are only there a few weeks you could leave the job off your CV altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How many years work experience have you?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

BEaring in mind you should take all advice from the internet with a pinch of salt..
    First of all , unless you're working to keep your family out of the poorhouse ,your health and wellbeing are more important than a job.
    If its making you that stressed I'd say go , but have a chat with management , tell them how you're feeling and ask if there's any part time positions available?
    It'd either provide you an easier chance to get used to the role , or an easier way to deal with it.The worst they can say is no.And sorting it out now is better for them long term than in six months if you have to leave for your healths sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I feel your pain OP, I'm like that every time I start a new job (social and general anxiety) and it takes a few months before I feel calmer. How long are you working there?

Having said that, there were certain jobs that never settled for me, primarily retail. But if you know yourself that this role your in is only temporary until you have enough experience, i hope that that thought helps you get through the day.

Sorry I can't be more help, best of luck

Also I would go back to your doctor and tell him how your anxiety is affecting you. Remember you have done a fantastic job to get through all your exams and get your degree. Changes are always challenging for people suffering from anxiety.
    Although you are not suffering from depression some of the drugs used for depression can be prescribed for anxiety. You might just need a very very low dose to get you over this hump and to view things with a more clearer head and then make the right decision for yourself. Lexapro is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is this a sector you want to work in? I would be slightly concerned about throwing in the towel so soon because I know from experience anxiety starts to improve once your confidence improves. If you really don't think the work is for you then fair enough but I have friends that gave up on jobs who are long term unemployed because they never managed to control their anxiety. They are in their 30s, living at home and are basically unemployable now because they let their anxiety define who they are.

I just would like you to understand that I know anxiety is a very serious condition but also that just because it affects you it doesn't mean that you're not capable. I am sure you had to handle enormous stress in getting your leaving certificate and degree so you're more than capable of doing this job - you just need a little bit of support.

Would you visit your doctor and see if they can prescribe you something for you anxiety? And do you think it might be helpful to talk about this at work. You're not looking for special treatment but just maybe a little bit of understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hang in there OP. Starting a new can be very difficult. There is an awful lot to get used to. Another few weeks and you will be fine, don't worry. The people are nice and that's the main thing. You are just adjusting and that can be very hard at times. You're doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

Is there a particular aspect of the job that is making you anxious, and that you could address with your manager? Or is it the job in general? If it's just an aspect of it, addressing it could help. Otherwise my advice would be to consider moving on to another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Op here,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I finished my degree there at the end of April and I started working right away. So I am there about three weeks. I did gain some work experience from my course about 8 weeks every year in various areas of the sector.
    Regarding the anxiety, I have always been a worrier since I was a child, I think it's just my personality to be anxious. Me and my doctor have discussed at length the idea of medication to reduce the anxiety but it would have to be long term as short term is not something I could do. Make myself feel better but always have at the back of my mind that when I stop taking this medication the anxiety will come back. Secondary School and College were both hell and I don't know how I dragged myself through the four years but the idea of having to go through that kind of anxiety again with no end in sight, it just seems like it's never going to get better. I am half considering doing a post grad just so I would have an end to the anxiety.
    The job itself I am well capable to do. It is an area in the sector I studied but not the actual area of the sector I want to work in, however experience is needed for the area I want to go into.
    I honestly don't know why I am getting so stressed about the job, it's not one particular aspect, it's everything, I just don't get any happiness from it.
    The management terrify me even though they are nice, I stumble over my words when any of them ask me something because I am so nervous. So talking to them will be difficult.
    Thanks again for the replies. I will take them into consideration.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Me and my doctor have discussed at length the idea of medication to reduce the anxiety but it would have to be long term as short term is not something I could do.

Start by taking the advice of your doctor, if you don't try the meds you have no idea how it will actually work out. If a potential solution to your problem exists, then you owe it to yourself to at least give it a try.

• Advertisement

Quote/// Make myself feel better but always have at the back of my mind that when I stop taking this medication the anxiety will come back. Endof Quote
    //

That's the thing though, once you go on a low dose of antidepessant you will more than likely be on them for a year or so. During this time you will be able to look at things more clearly and also deal with your anxiety, you will be in a much better place and look at things differently.
    I am not talking about short term medication like Xanax they only mask everything for a short time. I mentioned Lexapro so talk to your doctor about that drug and have a think about trying it.

Advertisement