Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Sale - Purchaser didn't disclose they are in a chain

Options
  • 14-05-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

My property went sale agreed after receiving a number of bids over the asking price. We accepted a lower bid of a purchaser who was not in a chain. We discovered later by chance that the purchaser was in a chain too.

Should our estate agent have picked this up?

It didn't cause any problems. They sold their own property pretty quickly.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did they tell your estate agent?
    Your estate agent can only 'pick up' what they are told from the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The other side of the EA is asking for a load of stuff and I don't know why threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

How long did it take for them to sell ? im in a situation where im about to sell my house and looking at bidding in another house is this ok to do? Should I inform the estate agents when buying

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

How long did it take for them to sell ? im in a situation where im about to sell my house and looking at bidding in another house is this ok to do? Should I inform the estate agents when buying
    Absolutely. People fire in all sorts of bids in all sorts of scenarios.

The estate agent will usually ask what your situation is, as the purchaser will want to know if you're in a chain, etc etc.

Increasingly they're also looking for proof of funds, be that mortgage approval, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What you're doing is fine. Unless you're a first time buyer, most people are doing this.

Chains were a big problem 6-7 years ago when stuff was sitting on the market for years in a falling market but in a fast moving area like Dublin, an EA or seller is unlikely to be too bothered about a chain.

• Advertisement

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What you're doing is fine. Unless you're a first time buyer, most people are doing this.

Chains were a big problem 6-7 years ago when stuff was sitting on the market for years in a falling market but in a fast moving area like Dublin, an EA or seller is unlikely to be too bothered about a chain.

My question is should i start bidding on a house even though i havent got my house up yet? There is a house i want and was thinking id sell with estate agent selling the house so theyd know the situation im in? Im wondering if I got sale agreed wouldthey be ok with the waiting around? Would it work out cheaper also doing selling and buying with solictor also?
    Thanks for advice

seamus wrote: »
    Absolutely. People fire in all sorts of bids in all sorts of scenarios.

The estate agent will usually ask what your situation is, as the purchaser will want to know if you're in a chain, etc etc.

Increasingly they're also looking for proof of funds, be that mortgage approval, etc.

Should i tell the agent re my situation or keep it to myself? Was thinking if i let him sell my house he would give me time... ea jst want houses sold and off market quick these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you're sale agreed I'm sure you'll be fine. If it's not even on the market yet your bids most likely won't be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

My question is should i start bidding on a house even though i havent got my house up yet? There is a house i want and was thinking id sell with estate agent selling the house so theyd know the situation im in? Im wondering if I got sale agreed wouldthey be ok with the waiting around? Would it work out cheaper also doing selling and buying with solictor also?
    Thanks for advice

Yeah you can bid but you should get your house on the market asap if you're bidding. You can have a house in the market within a couple of days. If you get your house up now, both sales could close around the same time which is what you want.

Solicitor will probably not be much cheaper as it is two separate transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

We are currently in the market and need to sell our apartment to be in a position to buy.

Our apartment has gone sale agreed (for the second time). Our previous offers on properties before we put the apartment up for sale were being ignored on the whole.

Even now we are sale agreed we are still behind cash buyers in peoples preferences, and there seem to be plenty of them around. We just missed out on a great house because we are in a chain while the other bidders were cash, (I'm assuming). Never heard back from the estate agent after our second bid. We were willing to go higher, but never got the chance. Seemed like the estate agent had a couple of cash bidders and were happy to keep us on the long finger.

Our first buyers for our apartment told us they were cash buyers during the bidding process. One of the main reasons we went with them. Two months down the line we find out they actually needed a load, which the bank had just refused. Wasted two months of our time.

Going by our experience, if you are in Dublin you will really need to have your place up for sale at least before your bids will be considered.

• Advertisement

Yeh I probably wont say anything to estate agents? i want to sell mine so hoping if I go with estate agent of house I want to sell my house might give us an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Mad Benny wrote: »
    My property went sale agreed after receiving a number of bids over the asking price. We accepted a lower bid of a purchaser who was not in a chain. We discovered later by chance that the purchaser was in a chain too.

Should our estate agent have picked this up?

It didn't cause any problems. They sold their own property pretty quickly.

How can he, they lied, is he supposed to follow them home to check for a forsale sign or do a lie detector test?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gabico

How can he, they lied, is he supposed to follow them home to check for a forsale sign or do a lie detector test?

He should have asked for proof of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Gabico wrote: »

This is probably true but reality can be somewhat different. I would be really annoyed about it as basically they are getting a discount for being chain free.

When I was buying a house I told the vendor I was selling another house first but it was directly to a family member. He told the sellers I was chain free. There was delay on our sale because somebody spelt my relatives name wrong. Their surname the same as mine and it was their lawyer for years! Anyway the sellers went mental about it claiming I lied and their estate agent went to say I did until I sent him back the e-mail I said it in.
    I even heard about it from one of my new neighbours. Just told them the estate agent lied and was instantly believed

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Gabico wrote: »

And this is why we do. Yet you will see lots of posters saying that it's none of our business. Can't win!! Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

chris_d wrote: »

Our first buyers for our apartment told us they were cash buyers during the bidding process. One of the main reasons we went with them. Two months down the line we find out they actually needed a load, which the bank had just refused. Wasted two months of our time.

Going by our experience, if you are in Dublin you will really need to have your place up for sale at least before your bids will be considered.

I'd assume a "cash buyer" is a mortgage approved buyer with no dependency on a property sale.

I wouldn't think its a buyer with actual cash sitting in their bank account.

EA should have asked for the loan approval letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I'd assume a "cash buyer" is a mortgage approved buyer with no dependency on a property sale.

I wouldn't think its a buyer with actual cash sitting in their bank account.

EA should have asked for the loan approval letter.

This happened to me and I saw proof of funding. It was an investor and their accountant pointed out that it was more tax favourable to borrow some of the funds. Pushed the sale back by a month.

Advertisement