Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor John Devane R.I.P.

Comments

Myself and the family were only talking about him last night. I mentioned that he hadn't been well lately. Bit of a shocker reading that today. RIP.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I was chatting briefly to him just last week. He had been sick and didn't look great for the last while but I thought he was in good form.
    Very sad, may he RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

From what I hear he was a very nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Of all the people I ever met, John was easily the greatest defier of expectations.

A pleasant, mannerly, knowledgeable gent with no ego about him. Shame the politics route didn't open up for him.

I still can't square the guy I met with the character conveyed in newspapers over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I remember reading his book "Nobody Heard Me Cry" years ago. It was a shocking read of a despicable Limerick underworld of child abuse that made Angela's Ashes look like Mary Poppins. He was a brave man to come forward about it. I'm not that familiar about him in recent years but just reading of his passing, I see he represented some notorious criminals that would not endear him to many in mainstream society. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Palcare

I knew John all his life and the book was a total work of fiction! I used to tell him that he got his young life (which was a normal happy life without great wealth but with a lot of love and normal family issues of its time) mixed up with some of the stories he helped and defended!Amazing what one can imagine in certain situations---he had a wonderful family and an amazing mother who was so bright and clever. A widow who instilled a love of reading, study and interest in her family---a hardworking woman. John was naive and immature but his core was decent and kind---- his own worst enemy for always opening the mouth and putting the feet right in--- needed a bit of mouth management but just wouldn't take any good advice. Brain too big and maturity too small! Rest in peace John--- you will be missed by many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭elperello

RIP

De mortuis nil nisi bonum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Palcare wrote: »
    I knew John all his life and the book was a total work of fiction! I used to tell him that he got his young life (which was a normal happy life without great wealth but with a lot of love and normal family issues of its time) mixed up with some of the stories he helped and defended!Amazing what one can imagine in certain situations---he had a wonderful family and an amazing mother who was so bright and clever. A widow who instilled a love of reading, study and interest in her family---a hardworking woman. John was naive and immature but his core was decent and kind---- his own worst enemy for always opening the mouth and putting the feet right in--- needed a bit of mouth management but just wouldn't take any good advice. Brain too big and maturity too small! Rest in peace John--- you will be missed by many.

Well done for clearing that one up. Lots of people had been totally fooled by it.

Thanks Washman---- it was a sad time in lives of those close to John when that rubbish was published---- luckily his Mam never saw it --- it would have broken her heart after all she did for her family on her own and in hard times--- recognising that many many families in those times had little money but did have love and ambition for their children---- the backbone of what's standing tall today. It would have been too costly in time, emotion and finances to have gone public about that dross at the time---- just best forgotten. requiescat In pace John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Limerick's very own saul Goodman :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Palcare wrote: »
    I knew John all his life and the book was a total work of fiction!

Unless you actually lived his life you can't possibly know that. There are a lot of families out there that look like model citizens but as the saying goes "street angels - house devils".

Now I am saying this as someone who doesn't know anything about the back story here but think it is a weird thing to comment on after so soon after someone's death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

RIP John, a very nice man with a forgiving heart.

Unless you actually lived his life you can't possibly know that. There are a lot of families out there that look like model citizens but as the saying goes "street angels - house devils".

Now I am saying this as someone who doesn't know anything about the back story here but think it is a weird thing to comment on after so soon after someone's death.

As I wrote I have known John all his life ( take from that what you will) and let me reassure you he was not raised in a home of " street angels--- house devils" . There is no " back story" just correcting some fiction as written. The matter was raised elsewhere in this thread and the right of reply ensued.

Advertisement