Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

AidenL wrote: »
    I think you sum it up nicely !

Im not 200m back, so fingers crossed !

I emailed the fibrepower address last night, heres the response I received back today. Cut and paste job, I'd guess they didn't even look at the detail other than my Eircode.
    Hi Aiden,

Thank you for your email.

The plan that you will be included in is the National Broadband Plan.

The footprint of our rural 300,000 rollout is locked down and we have contractual milestones in place with the Department of Communications, Climate Change and Environment to deliver each specific address. As such additional premises that are currently outside of the footprint cannot be included.

By definition, our commercial rollout cannot not reach all the homes and businesses in the area. While the boundary of the rollout may appear arbitrary, in fact the network rollout is based on the best network planning practices and the key business variables required to make the investment commercial. Any address not covered by our commercial rollout will be included in the Government’s National Broadband Plan.

Under this scheme the Government intends to intervene in non-commercial areas of the market to ensure through State subsidy that all premises in the country will receive high-speed broadband regardless of location. The NBP bid process is currently at tender stage and will be awarded in 2018.

The Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment expect the NBP network roll-out to be completed by 2022.

Please visit the below website to learn more about the NBP and to keep updated on the programme’s progress.

www.dccae.gov.ie.

Kind Regards.

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I emailed the fibrepower address last night, heres the response I received back today. Cut and paste job, I'd guess they didn't even look at the detail other than my Eircode.

That's unfortunate but I would not give up hope just yet. There are similar situations to yours in Navan that should be going live in a few weeks. I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if houses not due to be passed were actually passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Similar wording to the reply I got from them a few months ago. Hopefully they'll come around. I'm hoping so when the cable passes in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭dollylama

Disappointing indeed. I should have made clear that the two houses I managed to get them change to green were in a live area and between houses already connected or being connected. The houses themselves were mapped too, just they were blue

Are you trying to get them to add a house to the map that isn't on it at present? To be honest, I wouldn't hold much hope on them obliging in this case. Changing a blue house to green likely costs them nothing and opens them to another subscriber, adding a house to the map that isn't on it may cost them or just might not fit on the network they've rolled out

I've just contacted AidenL with some, hopefully good, news about his situation. I have sent him some Eircodes of premises that are in the NBP according to the DCCAE and fibrerollout.ie yet have been passed and are live according to eir retail.

440480.PNG

All the amber dots in the purple area can order FTTH. The fibrerollout 300k checker is not totally accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The infill houses that missed out on being classified for the 300k rollout are almost certainly commercial given the infrastructure will be running by those houses. With Eir out of the NBP they aren't losing any subsidy by connecting those houses up.

I've just contacted AidenL with some, hopefully good, news about his situation. I have sent him some Eircodes of premises that are in the NBP according to the DCCAE and fibrerollout.ie yet have been passed and are live according to eir retail.

440480.PNG

All the amber dots in the purple area can order FTTH. The fibrerollout 300k checker is not totally accurate.

That would do nicely for me ! :)
    KOR101 wrote: »
    The infill houses that missed out on being classified for the 300k rollout are almost certainly commercial given the infrastructure will be running by those houses. With Eir out of the NBP they aren't losing any subsidy by connecting those houses up.

I was thinking that also - they could have left them out, assuming an easy connection, with a subsidy, if they won the NBP.

Now, they can still connect them easily, and accrue ongoing charges from now forward, years ahead of someone else signing them up under the NBP.

dollylama wrote: »
    Disappointing indeed. I should have made clear that the two houses I managed to get them change to green were in a live area and between houses already connected or being connected. The houses themselves were mapped too, just they were blue

Are you trying to get them to add a house to the map that isn't on it at present? To be honest, I wouldn't hold much hope on them obliging in this case. Changing a blue house to green likely costs them nothing and opens them to another subscriber, adding a house to the map that isn't on it may cost them or just might not fit on the network they've rolled out

Mine would be an amber dot, in a blue area, and its just at pole replacement stage at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

Noticed this from the last update,
    Shows a few houses Green
    440566.JPG

yet there is no sign of any fibre going in yet .
    nothing on the poles, and not fed by duct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

John mac wrote: »
    Shows a few houses Green

Seen the same around Tallow, Co. Waterford.

It's probably the same issue as with blue houses in areas, that are rolled out and overall green. Wrong data entry.

Tallow also doesn't have a sniff of fiber yet along the few houses that are green.

Check the Eircode checker on Eir or talk with one of the independant providers. They have a more precise database.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

John mac wrote: »
    Shows a few houses Green
    440566.JPG

yet there is no sign of any fibre going in yet .
    nothing on the poles, and not fed by duct.

Same in my area - just looks like random bad data

If you're positive that the cabling in direct proximity to you is not finished then you are probably just causing yourself hassle placing an order that is going to be cancelled or worse left in some limbo.

On the other hand if around you is done then it could be available as they tend to launch exchange areas bit by bit. In my own area a salesman called about a month before the area went live so if sales haven't been around it likely is not ready yet.

I went wild and ordered it before the go live - called just there and asked and they suggested I will get an installation appointment date info email on the go live day. If I don't, call them back so lets see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Looks like my local exchange has now gone Live for FTTH

Caragh Lake -Co.Kerry

Go live date was 7th Feb but seems to have gone llive today ..

Interesting question by Willie Penrose in the Dail on Wednesday about the number of non-FTTH premises in the project. eVDSL premises numbers so far are:

Quarter 2 2017: 0 premises

Quarter 3 2017: 2,918 premises

Quarter 4 2017: 392 premises

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-02-21a.401#g402.q

eir also have missed their Q4 2017 target. The map update seems to include areas that were due to go live in February 2018 so why they were included in the Q4 2017 numbers is puzzling.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/latest-news/Pages/Latest-News.aspx

Some good news for those not included on the map. eir have apparently included an extra 10000 premises so far that were not in the original plan.
    According to figures now verified by my Department eir reached this revised target with an overall total of 121,000 listed eircodes passed as of December 2017. I further understand that eir, in the process of including extra premises in their rollout where the situation on the ground required or allowed for, have in fact covered a total of 131,000 premises passed as of December 2017.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-02-21a.392&s=speaker%3A239#g393.q

Some good news for those not included on the map. eir have apparently included an extra 10000 premises so far that were not in the original plan.

Wonder will they update the maps to show these.
    Great news for some hopefully.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Wonder will they update the maps to show these.
    Great news for some hopefully.

I don't believe that they will update the maps to show them as they are not part of the commitment contract with the Government.

I don't believe that they will update the maps to show them as they are not part of the commitment contract with the Government.

A wait & see game so.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    Ah I see, I'll try that approach, thanks.

It is further back than other houses by about 10/15 metres max.

Another neighbour had it installed last week(his house was green on the rollout map), the KN engineer brought it so his house from about 100 metres away via 3 existing poles, engineer did it without issue.

They seem to have skipped homes that are very far back from the distribution points but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

You could also try emailing Openeir at fibrepower@openeir.ie

Send screenshots of the map with your home highlighted and explain that your neighbours have been connected. Get and send the label number (yellow sticker) of your nearest distribution point (the box on the pole). Ask for it to be escalated to the network team.

There's no guarantee that they will help you though but it can't hurt to try.
    Just circling back with an update on this. As Navi suggested, I sent a clear and concise email detailing my issue....pretty much a case of the map needing to be updated as FTTH passed right outside my home. Over 2 weeks later I had no reply, sent a follow up email to see if anyone could take a look last week, got a reply late last week to say they would get the network team to review it. I checked Eir's website on Friday, put in my Eircode to check and Voila, I was eligible for FTTH, rang Eir on Friday and they confirmed and put in my order, so after much persistence, I am delighted to finally be getting FTTH. FYI.....I did ring Eir 7/8 times while waiting to get a response from OpenEir, that was pretty much a waste of time as I couldn't get talking to anyone that knew how to resolve the issue(as suggested here before), but you would try anything I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    Just circling back with an update on this. As Navi suggested, I sent a clear and concise email detailing my issue....pretty much a case of the map needing to be updated as FTTH passed right outside my home. Over 2 weeks later I had no reply, sent a follow up email to see if anyone could take a look last week, got a reply late last week to say they would get the network team to review it. I checked Eir's website on Friday, put in my Eircode to check and Voila, I was eligible for FTTH, rang Eir on Friday and they confirmed and put in my order, so after much persistence, I am delighted to finally be getting FTTH. FYI.....I did ring Eir 7/8 times while waiting to get a response from OpenEir, that was pretty much a waste of time as I couldn't get talking to anyone that knew how to resolve the issue(as suggested here before), but you would try anything I guess!
    There is no reason this shouldn't work for everyone who has fibre passing their home as it's clearly a commercial proposition then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sorry I should have said. The tracker has been updated. An extra 5190 premises were passed with only one area delayed (Nenagh in Tipperary). The large amount of areas due in the next three weeks is also encouraging.

Kohen Blue Cannabis, what is the source of your data in your spreadsheet?

Is it a copy of the rural exchange rollout pdf on the fibre rollout website?
    http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Rural-Exchange-Timeline-24-April-2017.pdf

My eircode says "First half of 2018" on the fibre rollout checker as does the associated cabinet in the rural exchange rollout pdf but your spreadsheet says Q3/Q4 2018 for that cabinet. What is the source of your data?

KCross wrote: »
    navi, what is the source of your data in your spreadsheet?

Is it a copy of the rural exchange rollout pdf on the fibre rollout website?
    http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Rural-Exchange-Timeline-24-April-2017.pdf

My eircode says "First half of 2018" on the fibre rollout checker as does the associated cabinet in the rural exchange rollout pdf but your spreadsheet says Q3/Q4 2018 for that cabinet. What is the source of your data?

I use data from http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

If you click "All" under "SELECT EXCHANGE STATUS" then zoom into your exchange, click on the bubble and it should give you the most up to date estimate. For Q3/Q4 it should say Autumn/Winter.

There is another update due soon and unfortunately I am expecting some more delays as eir missed their due number in Q4 2017. Every red cell in the spreadsheet shows a delay in the promised due date for each exchange.

I use data from http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

If you click "All" under "SELECT EXCHANGE STATUS" then zoom into your exchange, click on the bubble and it should give you the most up to date estimate. For Q3/Q4 it should say Autumn/Winter.

There is another update due soon and unfortunately I am expecting some more delays as eir missed their due number in Q4 2017. Every red cell in the spreadsheet shows a delay in the promised due date for each exchange.

Thanks, yes it shows Autumn/Winter 2018 in that map.

However, there are two exchanges nearby. Both are green circles.

One of the exchanges has the larger green flag superimposed on it and the other doesn't. What does that mean from a rollout perspective?

The yellow line connecting my house goes to the exchange with no flag (just small green circle). Is one exchange a sub-exchange or something? They are pretty close together (350m).

The alternative map has been updated.

And what does this map represent?

Is it owned and updated by openEir (so somewhat reliable) and represents places where FTTH has actually been deployed to at least some homes?

e.g. My local exchanges are not shown on that map at all. How do I interpret that map?

Thanks, yes it shows Autumn/Winter 2018 in that map.

However, there are two exchanges nearby. Both are green circles.

One of the exchanges has the larger green flag superimposed on it and the other doesn't. What does that mean from a rollout perspective?

The yellow line connecting my house goes to the exchange with no flag (just small green circle). Is one exchange a sub-exchange or something? They are pretty close together (350m).

The little green circles also represent cabinets that are used in the FTTC (VDSL) service. In an exchange area, take Knock in Mayo as an example, the actual exchange is represented as a small circle labelled KNK1_E01, then there are two cabinets KNK1_001 and KNK1_002. All exchanges have the "E" in their label.

The cabinets are irrelevant in relation to the FTTH project all fibre cables eminate from the actual exchange building. Once your home is on a yellow line you should receive service when the area goes live.

And what does this map represent?

Is it owned and updated by openEir (so somewhat reliable) and represents places where FTTH has actually been deployed to at least some homes?

e.g. My local exchanges are not shown on that map at all. How do I interpret that map?

That map is badly out of date. I originally started it because eir had no easy way of displaying areas that were live. They then launched the fibrerollout map so mine became somewhat redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CrazyEight

https://youtu.be/sAN_Tpkrrtw

Anyone waiting on or planning to get ftth in please look at this video and especially keep in mind where it says the first visit is treated as a site survey and you are not guaranteed service that day.

The map was updated on Friday. The following areas have been given due dates:

21st March:

Clare Doonbeg
    Donegal Glencolumbkille

4th April:

Donegal Killygordon
    Galway Ardrahan
    Tipperary Nenagh

11th April:

Dublin Rush
    Kilkenny Thomastown
    Mayo Knockmore
    Wexford Killanne

Unfortunately several areas were pushed back. Look for the red cells under March 2018 to see them.

The tracker has been updated.

There is a new sheet entitled "Extra Premises" added to the tracker. It contains areas where Openeir have passed more premises than were due in their exchange timeline. The Extra Premises total is not included in the overall total as I don't believe these premises are part of the agreement with the government.

As ever if you spot any errors let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

118K premises passed, to date - 1.5 years into the project. 182K still outstanding. Most of those seem to be crammed into the second half of 2018, according to Eir's rural exchange timeline.

Based on historical progress, Eir should have some 200k premises passed by the end of 2018. It will be the end of 2019 before the 300,000 are done - if not a bit later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I know this is a rural focused tracker but is there anyway to track their urban rollout?

My house in an urban area is recently passed and I’ve just ordered!!

digiman wrote: »
    I know this is a rural focused tracker but is there anyway to track their urban rollout?

My house in an urban area is recently passed and I’ve just ordered!!

Not directly. You would have to subtract the planned rural number from the published live number so for example Letterkenny, which seems to be the largest deployment, has 6530 premises passed with 748 rural. Even this though is not foolproof as they seem to be mopping up premises that had <30Mb, which may or may not be urban, as well as extending the rural parts in certain areas.

I have it on good authority that as of 27/3/2018 there were 168454 premises passed by FTTH in total nationwide. The difficulty is that there is no way of knowing how many are urban and how many rural.

I know you are in the industry so would be aware of builds taking place but did eir communicate with you at all about the FTTH availability? Were there any letters or salespersons sent?

I don't know why they don't promote the service more. I believe they only made the rural map because the Department made them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I know you are in the industry so would be aware of builds taking place but did eir communicate with you at all about the FTTH availability? Were there any letters or salespersons sent?

I don't know why they don't promote the service more. I believe they only made the rural map because the Department made them.

No advertising of any kind so far that I have seen anyway, it is surprising. I had contacts that were able to advise me when it was ready to order but then again it only went eligible for order this week so plenty of time for the sales people to come knocking to drop some flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

The map was updated on Friday. The following areas have been given due dates:

21st March:

Clare Doonbeg
    Donegal Glencolumbkille

4th April:

Donegal Killygordon
    Galway Ardrahan
    Tipperary Nenagh

11th April:

Dublin Rush
    Kilkenny Thomastown
    Mayo Knockmore
    Wexford Killanne

Unfortunately several areas were pushed back. Look for the red cells under March 2018 to see them.

There is a new sheet entitled "Extra Premises" added to the tracker. It contains areas where Openeir have passed more premises than were due in their exchange timeline. The Extra Premises total is not included in the overall total as I don't believe these premises are part of the agreement with the government.

As ever if you spot any errors let me know.

Just called Eir today. While FTTH is showing as available in Ardrahan from April 4th, the date on their system is May 2nd. No problem at all with this, but just letting people know the kind of time differences between one and the other.

Hespy wrote: »
    Just called Eir today. While FTTH is showing as available in Ardrahan from April 4th, the date on their system is May 2nd. No problem at all with this, but just letting people know the kind of time differences between one and the other.

Not all segments get enabled at the same time. 4. April would be the date for the first cluster and people get enabled in stages from there then.

Airwire has a line checker at https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail that will give you out the actual date, it's available at, if OpenEIR has provided the providers with that information.

/M

• Advertisement

Anyone have Airwire.ie as their FTTH provider? I like the option of being able to buy a package with a larger data cap instead of having the Eir's 1TB limit worry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Anyone have Airwire.ie as their FTTH provider? I like the option of being able to buy a package with a larger data cap instead of having the Eir's 1TB limit worry

I think Airwire is only available to Eir/Siro FTTH premises in select western counties. Not sure about Dublin, Meath and Kildare etc.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think Airwire is only available to Eir/Siro FTTH premises in select western counties. Not sure about Dublin, Meath and Kildare etc.

Not correct.

SIRO: Athlone, Ennis, Limerick and Portlaoise.
    Soon going live: Carrick-On-Shannon, Celbridge, Galway, Kilcock, Leixlip, Longford, Maynooth, Roscommon, Shannon and Sligo.

Matter of fact, Sligo is only 4-6 weeks away for SIRO.

OpenEIR: nationwide, but can be selective. We have OpenEIR interconnects in Galway, Ennis, Athlone, Dublin and soon Sligo and Fermoy. We do have customers as far south as Dungarvan and Fermoy and as far north as Sligo currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not correct.

SIRO: Athlone, Ennis, Limerick and Portlaoise.
    Soon going live: Carrick-On-Shannon, Celbridge, Galway, Kilcock, Leixlip, Longford, Maynooth, Roscommon, Shannon and Sligo.

Matter of fact, Sligo is only 4-6 weeks away for SIRO.

OpenEIR: nationwide, but can be selective. We have OpenEIR interconnects in Galway, Ennis, Athlone, Dublin and soon Sligo and Fermoy. We do have customers as far south as Dungarvan and Fermoy and as far north as Sligo currently.

sounds great, good to see expansion taking place all over the country.

I checked the availability checker for myself on Airwires website and I am not passing, but the reason it is not passing is because my Eircode still does not pass due to some OpenEir database error. I have Eir FTTH over a year now as it passes using phone number. All my neighbours are passing however on Airwire's website.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I checked the availability checker for myself on Airwires website and I am not passing, but the reason it is not passing is because my Eircode still does not pass due to some OpenEir database error. I have Eir FTTH over a year now as it passes using phone number. All my neighbours are passing however on Airwire's website.

The underlying data is based on what OpenEIR provide us with. So yes, if they never fixed the mismatch between your address key and the eircode, then there's very little we can do.

We actually manually rectify known culprits and are working hard on optimizing the data for VDSL more accurately.

You're not the only one though. The Eircode in OpenEIRs database for our support office is 2 streets off. They wouldn't be able to find us either, if we were able to get FTTH. And our registered address doesn't even have an Eircode, plus was left out, as it's 100m of the road.

• Advertisement

How frequently does the map update I wonder?

It used to be every month or so. It now seems to take at least 2 months.

/M

The map data was updated today. 18960 premises were added since the last update bringing the total to 132671.

Only two areas were give due dates:

30th May: Ballyheigue (Kerry)

13th June: Kilbride (Meath)

Unfortunately there were lots of areas whose deadlines got pushed back. These can be seen on the tracker in red under the May '18 column.

Bugger, seems my eircode wasn’t included after all.

Seems I’m stuck in the NBP despite what Airwire were told. :(
    The map data was updated today. 18960 premises were added since the last update bringing the total to 132671.

Only two areas were give due dates:

30th May: Ballyheigue (Kerry)

13th June: Kilbride (Meath)

Unfortunately there were lots of areas whose deadlines got pushed back. These can be seen on the tracker in red under the May '18 column.

Where are you getting that idea from? This is only listing areas that are currently live or due live in the next few weeks. Ballyshannon is still due in Q3 - Q4 2018.

I put my eircode in the checker? I think Martin said my eircode would show as available on the next map update?
    Where are you getting that idea from? This is only listing areas that are currently live or due live in the next few weeks. Ballyshannon is still due in Q3 - Q4 2018.

I put my eircode in the checker? I think Martin said my eircode would show as available on the next map update?

This is separate to the file that is sent to ISPs which is what the Airwire checker uses. Martin will post when he updates his own sites checker. I have nothing to do with that.

My effort is really about tracking total numbers and delays.

Have they put the fibre on poles with distribution boxes in your area?

Confusion on my part then!

Nope, no fibre installed on the poles as yet, just more civil in the past week.
    This is separate to the file that is sent to ISPs which is what the Airwire checker uses. Martin will post when he updates his own sites checker. I have nothing to do with that.

My effort is really about tracking total numbers and delays.

Have they put the fibre on poles with distribution boxes in your area?

Confusion on my part then!

Nope, no fibre installed on the poles as yet, just more civil in the past week.

As far as I know the ISP file is updated weekly. It sounds highly unlikely that your Eircode would appear in the next update with so much work still to do.

You're being impatient. The map data does not necessarily change to include your home until the last second, when the roll-out goes live. It might not be listed at all in the map.

The list we get from OpenEIR can differ quite a bit, especially when it's cases that are outside of the original plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement