Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ranch - To buy or not to buy

Options
  • 14-05-2017 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey guys, looking at buying my first home with my partner. We are currently looking at a few places and The Ranch has caught our eye. We have been around the area a couple of times and the place seems quiet even though it's near a main road. After talking to some people about the area we have been advised that it is dodgy and might not be safe to walk around. I've looked through the older forums here and have read a mixed bag of reviews about the area. Can anyone give an opinion on what the place is like these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

As in Ballyfermot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Southfork?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 senorpuck

The Ranch in ballyfermot

senorpuck wrote: »
    The Ranch in ballyfermot

Its fine. Its quiet and in the older end of Ballyfermot. Close to town and inchicore village. The houses are old though so need to be checked out.

Ballyfermot might have had a bad reputation years ago but the first generation of kids to grow up there are now in their 60's, there's not really much social housing around there now as much of it was bought by the tenants. Crumlin was the same a few years ago only now you'll pay 100k more than Ballyfermot for god knows why.

Don't led old attitudes put you off a handy location. Most people who knock it couldnt find it on a map

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm not familiar with that particular part of Ballyfermot, but I often work near the shops in Ballyfermot and the area leaves a lot to be desired. Litter everywhere, dumping, people spitting on the pavements, feral children and scary teenagers. High rates of unemployment and lots of social problems. I hate walking around when it's dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I bought a house there ten years ago and have been very happy by and large. The Ranch is quite mixed, some families who've been there for generations, newcomers and rented houses.

I'm not familiar with that particular part of Ballyfermot, but I often work near the shops in Ballyfermot and the area leaves a lot to be desired. Litter everywhere, dumping, people spitting on the pavements, feral children and scary teenagers. High rates of unemployment and lots of social problems. I hate walking around when it's dark.

So you dont know where hes talking about but then label the whole place as a Kip ?

Ballyfermot has many many shops...... in many different places in fact....

These were the same types of things thrown at Donnycarney, Crumlin and Cabra on this website years ago and now you can barely get a house in those places for anything remotely near what you can still pay in Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Id agree with the above, ive no idea why ballyfermot house prices are not going the same way as crumlin or the likes... That end of ballyfermot is generally fine, and is so handy for town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

So you dont know where hes talking about but then label the whole place as a Kip ?

Ballyfermot has many many shops...... in many different places in fact....

These were the same types of things thrown at Donnycarney, Crumlin and Cabra on this website years ago and now you can barely get a house in those places for anything remotely near what you can still pay in Ballyfermot.

He didn't label the whole place as a kip, he labelled one part - the shops. And it's quite obvious what shops they're talking about, the ones near Tesco. And it's a fairly accurate statement.

OP as for The Ranch, it's one of the nicer and older parts of Ballyfermot. Quiet enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have t oagree with the above Poster. The village area by Tescos is really awful. I'vwe never seen so much litter around the place and some of the characters there look like extras from the walking dead.

However I'd agree about the area around the Ranch it's much quieter area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I live just up the road - about 3 minutes walk - from the Ranch. Just past the Applegreen petrol station.

Been there 14 years without a problem. Very handy for town too.

Advertisement