Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft gun self defense own home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No .

Using airsoft for self defense is both dangerous and stupid ,also you could find yourself on been arrested on firearms offences ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Open to correction here, but as a RIF (Realistic imitation firearm) owner the laymans version of the law is:
    If you point it at somebody and they think its real, its legally real. So you can be charged as if you pointed a loaded firearm at them.

Mostly applies to holding up a post office etc so not sure what, if any charges would/could be applied if used as self defence. A legally held firearm cant be used for such purposes again in my laymans knowledge (its one sure way to not get a licence) so it may be taken quite seriously.

ED E wrote: »
    Open to correction here, but as a RIF (Realistic imitation firearm) owner the laymans version of the law is:
    If you point it at somebody and they think its real, its legally real. So you can be charged as if you pointed a loaded firearm at them.

Your correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thierry14 wrote: »
    Just wondering is it legal to use Airsoft guns as self defense if you ever had to in your own home
    Just how would that work?

Say, you, half asleep with a toy gun and a pair of coke heads who aren't concerned with their own safety?

Or you, half asleep with a toy gun and a pair of coke heads with shotguns who aren't concerned with their own safety?

Get an monitored alarm. Get a phone(s). Get a dog. Secure your premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Victor wrote: »
    Just how would that work?

Say, you, half asleep with a toy gun and a pair of coke heads who aren't concerned with their own safety?

Or you, half asleep with a toy gun and a pair of coke heads with shotguns who aren't concerned with their own safety?

Get an monitored alarm. Get a phone(s). Get a dog. Secure your premises.

An airsoft gun is somewhat more than a toy gun. There's a reason they tell you not to aim at the head. I've known people up the damage by loading with marbles. Depending on where you live, it's possible to get pepper spray capsules that fit airsoft guns. Both those options would get you into serious trouble with the law here, but they have been used.

It also makes it easier to locate the burglar if they are now bright green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Gatling wrote: »
    No .

Using airsoft for self defense is both dangerous and stupid ,also you could find yourself on been arrested on firearms offences ,

What specific firearms offence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

seagull wrote: »
    An airsoft gun is somewhat more than a toy gun. There's a reason they tell you not to aim at the head. I've known people up the damage by loading with marbles. Depending on where you live, it's possible to get pepper spray capsules that fit airsoft guns. Both those options would get you into serious trouble with the law here, but they have been used.

It also makes it easier to locate the burglar if they are now bright green

I think you are mixing up airsoft guns with paintball guns.

If the Airsoft gun does not fall within the definition of a firearm is any offence committed by mere possession ?

If not, there seems to be no reasonable argument against "presenting" it to a threatening intruder as a deterrent within the context of self defence. Whether that act is reasonable is another question.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    If the Airsoft gun does not fall within the definition of a firearm is any offence committed by mere possession ?

The threshold is set at 1J of muzzle energy which is not enough to puncture the human eye. Seagull is definitely talking about paintball guns which are more like 13J and restricted by firearms legislation.

Possession is perfectly legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

How do you expect to defend your home against invaders with a bb gun? Are you planning on purchasing in bulk and using the gun itself as a projectile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Moderation note:

People tend to conflate two broad issues on these types of threads; firearms legislation and the law surrounding self-defence.

They are separate and distinct issues.

A person can kill another and successfully use the defence of self-defence to achieve acquittal from a homicide charge (murder/manslaughter). At the same time, it is possible that such a person may have committed firearms offences, on the same set of facts.

For the avoidance of doubt, posters are free to discuss self-defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

This is like asking can you use a knife to protect yourself...and then pulling out a butter knife.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I would say more likely by intimidation, if it was to come down to it. They are highly realistic looking depending on the model

Which would be a firearms offense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

A baseball bat (or hurl if you want to be culturally aware) would be considerably more effective and have none of the same legal difficulties; "It was only to hand because I was at training that very evening your honour, the multiple strikes to the assailants head were due to an unfortunate spasm I suffer from in my right arm due to a trauma caused by excessive masturbation"

Gravelly wrote: »
    A baseball bat (or hurl if you want to be culturally aware) would be considerably more effective and have none of the same legal difficulties; "It was only to hand because I was at training that very evening your honour, the multiple strikes to the assailants head were due to an unfortunate spasm I suffer from in my right arm due to a trauma caused by excessive masturbation"

That old credibility issue just keeps sticking it's head up again with that argument....

Mind you, I have never come across a formal definition of a weapon. I suspect that is because, in context , any object can actually constitute a weapon.

That old credibility issue just keeps sticking it's head up again with that argument....

Mind you, I have never come across a formal definition of a weapon. I suspect that is because, in context , any object can actually constitute a weapon.

Isn't that the point alright, so that screwdriver you were carrying around in your bag and just happened to be at hand when you attacked that man can be classed as a weapon in this case. And to avoid the situation of every young fella in Cork, Kilkenny and Tipp being arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A weapon is defined by it's design, not an objects potential. A weapon is designed to inflict damage to a person or object.

A pencil is not a weapon by design, but it may be used as one.

Used "normally", a RIF is a not a firearm and is not a weapon.
    Used "abnormally"* a RIF may be a firearm and is a weapon.

The question I have for the pros on here is:

If I own a licenced firearm stored in my house as per the rules, an intruder breaks in and I aim it at them down the stairs, not discharging any rounds, is there any plausible case for assault with a deadly weapon or any such charge as applicable (I dont know what theyd be precisely). Or does the self defence defence completely acquit me in any potential case?

NB: Lets exclude consequences when the licence then comes up for renewal with the local Chief Super.

* To threaten, or to shoot at unwilling targets, to shoot at wildlife

A weapon is defined by it's design, not an objects potential. A weapon is designed to inflict damage to a person or object.

A pencil is not a weapon by design, but it may be used as one.

Is that not dealt with by the phrase 'weapon of offence'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Forget about using a toy gun for home defense.

If you pull your fake-ass bb gun to try and scare a burgler three things might happen.

1) He might Flee
    2) He might call your bluff then 1a)You flee or 2b) he might attack you
    3) He might produce an actual weapon and hurt you very badly.

Get a legally-held firearm if that's what you want to do, BUT taking aim at a person and shooting them might not be as easy as you think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ganmo wrote: »
    This is like asking can you use a knife to protect yourself...and then pulling out a butter knife.

Nah, for a proper analogy it would have to be a plastic steak knife in a fancy colour like black. ;)

seagull wrote: »
    An airsoft gun is somewhat more than a toy gun. There's a reason they tell you not to aim at the head. I've known people up the damage by loading with marbles. Depending on where you live, it's possible to get pepper spray capsules that fit airsoft

Where did you get that from ,

They shoot 6mm plastic bbs and nothing else no marble or Pepper sprays ,
    And the ones available here only shoot a maximum 328 fps with a .20 plastic bb,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

CRIMINAL LAW (DEFENCE AND THE DWELLING) ACT 2011

If I had a loaded paintball gun handy I wouldn't stop until they stopped screaming. However I do wonder about how effective it'd be without some well aimed shots. Surely a knife or aforementioned baseball bat would be more effective. You could buy those yokes that fit under the mattress to give you somewhere to rest your shotgun.

CRIMINAL LAW (DEFENCE AND THE DWELLING) ACT 2011

If I had a loaded paintball gun handy I wouldn't stop until they stopped screaming. However I do wonder about how effective it'd be without some well aimed shots. Surely a knife or aforementioned baseball bat would be more effective.

Not effective at all.
    A paintball gun isnt going to kill or immobilise a burgler no matter how well-aimed the shots are.
    Chances are he'll either flee or attack you.
    If,on the otherhand his guts are full of "00" buckshot he's going nowhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I believe the op may have been referring to a new video being shared on facebook in which a paintball gun is shooting pepper spray balls which allegedly take down any attacker and which are not yet banned. I cannot be sure but I have seen this discussed locally and the common view is that they are perfectly legal for home defense. Of course this is coming from people who have no dealings with the law and use their "common sense" approach to all laws/rules etc.

I would also be interested to know if such guns and balls would be considered legal if there is no law saying otherwise.

this is a video similar to the one i was shown, can't find original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN3SwVKVXxY

soups05 wrote: »

I would also be interested to know if such guns and balls would be considered legal if there is no law saying otherwise.

Airsoft and paintball guns come under firearms laws here ,
    Pepper spray is considered a weapon too I believe also illegal here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

good to know Gatling, thank you.

And there's a BIG difference between so-called pepper spray and CS gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Gatling wrote: »
    Airsoft and paintball guns come under firearms laws here ,
    Pepper spray is considered a weapon too I believe also illegal here

There's a big difference between air guns and airsoft guns. Air guns above 1 joule are considered firearms. Airsoft guns (under 1 joule) are not firearms. And all airsoft guns are supposed to be under 1 joule. If they aren't, then being in possession of them without a licence is illegal.

Paintball guns are another thing. The Gardaí tend to turn a blind eye due to the legislation being screwed up but most paintball guns accidentally fall into the restricted short firearm category and can't therefore be licenced. There might be a blind eye turned on people shooting them for fun on a day out, but try using one at home for self defence and you might find yourself in a whole lot of bother.

As a side note, getting hit with a paintball in the face is a hell of a lot worse than getting hit with a bb out of an airsoft gun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement