Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaf abnormal tyre wear

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

BoatMad wrote: »

It does look like the leaf wears the nearside rear a bit more then the others

Funny, I've seen a few Nissan Notes scrub the outside thread of this tyre position. Any relevant suspension parts commonality ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Funny, I've seen a few Nissan Notes scrub the outside thread of this tyre position. Any relevant suspension parts commonality ?

I don't know anything about the Note but the Leaf has a solid beam rear axle. It can't be adjusted and it is obviously a manufacturing defect. Maybe the Note has the same rear beam.

Can people get to the likes of advanced and get exactly the amount these axels are off ?

Despite me giving barlo the details they were denying there was any manufacturing defect.

My rear passenger wheel is 2mm out.

Can people get to the likes of advanced and get exactly the amount these axels are off ?

Despite me giving barlo the details they were denying there was any manufacturing defect.

My rear passenger wheel is 2mm out.

Any tyre fitting outfit can put the car on a 4 wheel laser alignment machine and give you a printout of the alignment and how far off manufacturers recommended figures it is.

You don't need that in any case.... you eyeball the tyre and if the wear is off by 2mm it is undeniable. They can blame potholes for the front being off and readjust but for the back there is no adjustment as it is a solid beam with no adjustment.... thats the issue. Only fix is a rear axle replacement.

Yep I was through that with them. Unfortunately they just fobbed me off, I didn't really bother pursuing it and I probably won't with less than 6 months lease left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

KCross wrote: »
    Any tyre fitting outfit can put the car on a 4 wheel laser alignment machine and give you a printout of the alignment and how far off manufacturers recommended figures it is.

You don't need that in any case.... you eyeball the tyre and if the wear is off by 2mm it is undeniable. They can blame potholes for the front being off and readjust but for the back there is no adjustment as it is a solid beam with no adjustment.... thats the issue. Only fix is a rear axle replacement.

I don't think 2mm will be noticeable. On the Civic the alignment has been slightly out (according to the NCT) both front and back for the last 10 years and tyre wear has been normal. I don't rotate tyres and get the expected even wear on them all. Rears last a long time. Need to check but it's around 5 years since they were changed and they probably have 2or 3 years left. Average mileage is about 9-10,000 a year.

Rears are on since December 2011. Will check NCT reports tomorrow and post alignment numbers.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I don't think 2mm will be noticeable.

2mm is a lot and is easy enough to see.

A new tyre has typically about 8mm of wear. So it means you are losing 25% of the value of the tyre due to premature replacement.

2mm is a lot and is easy enough to see.

A new tyre has typically about 8mm of wear. So it means you are losing 25% of the value of the tyre due to premature replacement.

Sorry, we're talking about different things. By 2mm I thought you meant 2 metres slip per km, which is how alignment is reported by the NCT.

@Mad_Lad are you talking 2mm wear or 2mm side slip?

• Advertisement

No, the wheel is off alignment by 2mm which the lads in Advanced said was significant. They showed me where it should be on the monitor.

No, the wheel is off alignment by 2mm which the lads in Advanced said was significant. They showed me where it should be on the monitor.

What's that in NCT language? 2m per km?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Sorry, we're talking about different things. By 2mm I thought you meant 2 metres slip per km, which is how alignment is reported by the NCT.

Regardless, the issue in this thread is primarily about the rear passenger side tyre wearing more on the outside edge to the inside edge. It varies as to how much it is out but it can be clearly seen by just eyeballing the tyre. No reports required.

If you see the example pics earlier in the thread you'll see it. 2mm+ difference between the inside and outside edge of a tyre is very easy to see.

Regardless, the issue in this thread is primarily about the rear passenger side tyre wearing more on the outside edge to the inside edge. It varies as to how much it is out but it can be clearly seen by just eyeballing the tyre. No reports required.

If you see the example pics earlier in the thread you'll see it. 2mm+ difference between the inside and outside edge of a tyre is very easy to see.

I know what the problem is, and I know 2mm across the tread is noticeable. I have had tyre wear problems in the past on other cars. As I said I understood you were talking about the 2mm that Mad_Lad is.

Advertisement