Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthotics woes

• 14-05-2017 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All
    Can any one answer this query on custom orthotics which I have now been wearing for five months? Let's say that I am less than impressed in that I have noticed little/no improvement from wearing them. when I got the orthotics, I bought two identical pairs of shoes and have regularly used one pair casually but forgot about the other pair, so they are unworn. Essentially a "control" pair!!!
    When I compare the two pairs , the worn pair have the same wear pattern as I exhibited pre orthotics -that is , lots of uneven wear on the outside rear of each heel. So is this not exactly the thing that the orthotics were meant to correct?
    Would appreciate guidance on this please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Orthotics is mostly "snake oil" ime

There's a lot of money to be made in prescribing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

The over used / seller pushing ( foot solutions ) of them is a problem, I have them, not at all cheap then again I no longer have knee/foot pain from basic walking and shoes not just fit.

If you need them you need them, just be careful who is telling you that you need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

AnnaJane1 wrote: »
    Hi All
    Can any one answer this query on custom orthotics which I have now been wearing for five months? Let's say that I am less than impressed in that I have noticed little/no improvement from wearing them. when I got the orthotics, I bought two identical pairs of shoes and have regularly used one pair casually but forgot about the other pair, so they are unworn. Essentially a "control" pair!!!
    When I compare the two pairs , the worn pair have the same wear pattern as I exhibited pre orthotics -that is , lots of uneven wear on the outside rear of each heel. So is this not exactly the thing that the orthotics were meant to correct?

Time to go back and see whoever sold them to you? If it wasn't an orthotist or a podiatrist then unfortunately you did get one of the snake oil ones. Other option is to try something like Pilates which might help remove the need for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Clearlier wrote: »
    Time to go back and see whoever sold them to you?

That's what I was going to say, I'm using custom orthotics for a foot problem around 6 months now and I'm very happy with them, I'm running more miles and more days now than I ever have and at one point last year I couldn't even walk for 30 mins without being in agony. An added bonus is the lower back stiffness I've been plagued with for years and just accepted as part of running has gone away also.
    They were pretty expensive but worth every cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have custom Orthotics for the last 6 years. Work a threat for me.

I would go back to the person that gave you them or go somewhere else for a second opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

They worked great for me. I was retiring from rugby aged 28 due to heel/achilles pain but I kept going another 5 years with the orthotics.

I could have went longer too just got fed up but the injury was not to blame thanks to the orthotics.

But not everything works for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

How much can one expect to pay for assessement and a pair ?

How much can one expect to pay for assessement and a pair ?

I paid €340.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

ooter wrote: »
    I paid €340.

Yeah mine were 350. So there's your ballpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnnaJane1

Thanks everyone. Yes I will go back to the podiatrist concerned. And I paid €400 for them by the way .

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. Yes I will go back to the podiatrist concerned. And I paid €400 for them by the way .

You've every right to expect results having shelled out that kind of money, definitely go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

....... wrote: »

I've being going to Mike Davis too, for the past 3 years and I no longer have any problems with alignment of my pelvis or problems with my knees and I only wear my orthotics when running. He is gradually reducing the height of my raised one to wean me off them! My problems were sorted with in a few months and the pain in my back/hip disappeared.

Highly recommend him.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I am booked to see Mike Davis in a few months time! Happy running to you all.

Hi All

Just to follow up on my earlier posting to say thank you for recommending Mike Davis at Well Shod. It did take a few months to get an appointment but it was well worth the wait. He was able to identify the broader issues behind my achilles injury and gave me what I needed to get better. Mike is the best person who I have seen over the past four years in dealing with this issue (physios, podiatrists etc) and has the ability to identify the underlying issues. The orthotics which he gave me really relieved my pain and helped the healing process immensely. I am just sad that I did not find him earlier - so thanks to the community for helping me with this. And a big thankyou to Mike.
    AnnaJane1

replacement periods would vary from person to person - Mike has altered my orthotics as the condition improved - so best speak to him.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I go back every six months for assessment and they is never a charge. I've had to have minor adjustment to the orthotics over the years and i get 2 new pairs every few years as I'm happier doing that.
    I also always wear the runners he recommends for me and I've never had a issue with them.

Heading there this Friday actually so it will be interesting to see what he says with my current ongoing problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

You can claim 50% up to 200 back on laya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Hi All

Just to follow up on my earlier posting to say thank you for recommending Mike Davis at Well Shod. It did take a few months to get an appointment but it was well worth the wait. He was able to identify the broader issues behind my achilles injury and gave me what I needed to get better. Mike is the best person who I have seen over the past four years in dealing with this issue (physios, podiatrists etc) and has the ability to identify the underlying issues. The orthotics which he gave me really relieved my pain and helped the healing process immensely. I am just sad that I did not find him earlier - so thanks to the community for helping me with this. And a big thankyou to Mike.
    AnnaJane1

I have had recurring Achilles problems in both feet for the past 8 years. I clicked on this thread just now in the hope that it was Achilles related and I might come across something that would cure me. I've never been so glad to open a thread as I have this one. Have emailed Mr. Davies.

Thank you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Just to add a different viewpoint. I got orthotics off Michael and although I found him personally excellent, the orthotics did not work for me. I had to take them out after a year as they caused me to pick up a mild case of plantar fasciitis in both feet. Orthotics are usually not a magic bullet. You need to manage your training load very carefully to get to the bottom of long term injury issues, as well as building your capacity to manage load. A bandage like orthotics won't always work for everyone, every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Thanks. Appointment made.....May 1st was the earliest they had available!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Hi All

Are orthotics supposed to change how you wear the outside of the shoe? They should alter what happens after you land (control any over-pronation) but I am not sure the actual landing point of contact should change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nonsense.

Advertisement