Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a road bike

Options
  • 14-05-2017 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I am a relative newbie in cycling. I used to cycle to work in a city on a hybrid. Now I'd like to try more long distance stuff. I need a road bike.

I'd say my budget is around 1200 euro. I've been told this one is a great bike.

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caad10-105-2015-road-bike-EV214031

Any suggest a good bike / advice? I'm told carbon is better and an 11-speed is valued over 10.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the CAAD bikes are quite racy in their geometry; so it's probably a good bike, but may not be suitable for your purposes?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Carbon does not mean better. Some carbon is, some isn't. High end aluminium is as good.

I've a Steel Bike, 2 Aluminium and a Carbon bike. The steel is the work horse go anywhere , jump on and be relaxed for distances from 10km to 200km.

The carbon comes out on the dry days, and good months and such when I want to fly about the place. The other 2 are just in case bikes or something.

For 1200 you'll get plenty of bike. Are you looking for leisure cycles, sportives and just general long distance or a racing machine?

My advice is normally something good looking and Italian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Weepsie wrote: »
    Carbon does not mean better. Some carbon is, some isn't. High end aluminium is as good.

I've a Steel Bike, 2 Aluminium and a Carbon bike. The steel is the work horse go anywhere , jump on and be relaxed for distances from 10km to 200km.

The carbon comes out on the dry days, and good months and such when I want to fly about the place. The other 2 are just in case bikes or something.

For 1200 you'll get plenty of bike. Are you looking for leisure cycles, sportives and just general long distance or a racing machine?

My advice is normally something good looking and Italian

I am considering joining a cycling club where they do 60-100km cycles every weekend. I know I'm nowhere near that right now. That's all I'll be doing for now. If I really get into it, you never know where it might take me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

I would like a reccomendation for this question too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any suggest a good bike / advice? I'm told carbon is better and an 11-speed is valued over 10.
    Valued more on the second hand market, probably, but you pay more up front for the privilege

Yes many have switched, but the difference between 10 and 11 speed is very small - you can still get the same range of gears, but marginally different increments. You may find some better bargains with surplus 10 speed stuff being sold off and 6/7/8 speed are still very well supported so I would not worry about not being able to get hold of spares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Something like this is a lovely bike - http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3094/cube-attain#description-tab-tab
    Great value in Cube or Scott bikes for €1200

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

jamesd wrote: »
    Something like this is a lovely bike - http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/3094/cube-attain#description-tab-tab
    Great value in Cube or Scott bikes for €1200

the bike you quoted is €800 over the OP's budget. Nice bike though.

the bike you quoted is ?800 over the OP's budget. Nice bike though.

Mid-read the price - Cube do road bikes for ?1200 though with good specs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm in pretty much the same boat. Looking to move up from simple recreational cycling to more long distance road stuff (and becoming a fully fledged MAMIL).

I've seen this http://www.mycycle.ie/Futura-Neon-105-Road-Bike-p/futuraneon105.htm

but I can't find any reviews or anything for Futura Bikes online. Has any one come across these before?

• Advertisement
Advertisement