Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent in Dublin for the summer

Options
  • 15-05-2017 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment in Dublin for the summer, June-July.
    Airbnb is proving to be too expensive for this length of time.
    I thought there would be lots of places available due to people going on holidays or back home after college but not finding many ads on daft and what is available is crazy expensive.
    Are there any other options or sites that I'm overlooking?

Comments

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I thought there would be lots of places available due to people going on holidays or back home after college but not finding many ads on daft and what is available is crazy expensive.

Have a look on some of the University online notice boards, you might find some students looking to sublet for the summer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Have a look on some of the University online notice boards, you might find some students looking to sublet for the summer there.

This would be a great business for someone to set up. An agency of properly vetted short term house minders.

You get a house free while the owners are on holidays. You feed the dog, sleep in the house.

Win/win.

I know lots of home owners who would sign up to this if it existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Thanks, great idea! Will look around.
    This would be a great business for someone to set up. An agency of properly vetted short term house minders.

You get a house free while the owners are on holidays. You feed the dog, sleep in the house.

Win/win.

Yeah, it would be a great idea indeed. There are websites like this (don't think I'm allowed name websites here) but I don't think it's taking off in Ireland, seems to be more common in the likes of France and that. Even a house swap would be ideal for me but after joining about 5 websites, no one is available for a swap or no replies.

Thanks, great idea! Will look around.

Yeah, it would be a great idea indeed. There are websites like this (don't think I'm allowed name websites here) but I don't think it's taking off in Ireland, seems to be more common in the likes of France and that. Even a house swap would be ideal for me but after joining about 5 websites, no one is available for a swap or no replies.

I'd be interested in the Irish websites if you have any. Always looking for a house sitter when we are away. We won't be going away this summer so unfortunately we can't help each other out this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Win/win.

There already is that business. It is very common for trophy homes in Dublin which are occupied for only a few days a year to have a house guest staying in the property for security purposes

• Advertisement

There already is that business. It is very common for trophy homes in Dublin which are occupied for only a few days a year to have a house guest staying in the property for security purposes

I was kind of think lower down the scale than trophy homes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The issue with all of this is in the OP - if you're smart (and to be fair they won't as they're students but maybe the LL is) the place will be up on AirBnB.

The issue with all of this is in the OP - if you're smart (and to be fair they won't as they're students but maybe the LL is) the place will be up on AirBnB.

That involves tidying up your house before going on hols . Never gonna happen in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That involves tidying up your house before going on hols . Never gonna happen in my house.

More for students - they'll take all their stuff with them.

That's about the only time I do a good tidy - makes come back less of a downer and we ask the neigbours to feed the cats to appearances and all that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

Try Maynooth for the summer - a lot of student place on rent now,:D Direct Train bring u to IFSC within 40 mins:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭sheroman01

you2008 wrote: »
    Try Maynooth for the summer - a lot of student place on rent now,:D Direct Train bring u to IFSC within 40 mins:D

True, I am also considering this option :) However, I am already commuting from Meath so if possible I would like to stay in Dublin....I like my sleep too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭you2008

True, I am also considering this option :) However, I am already commuting from Meath so if possible I would like to stay in Dublin....I like my sleep too much :)

Never slept in Meath, but for 40min in IFSC will beat a lot of towns in Dublin, if u r even dreaming to get something in city center, u can 4get about it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

You can always make an offer on Airbnb - message the host and ask if they would give a big discount for a longer rental.. although it may be too late now as lot of airbnb's already have bookings for July / Aug

Win/win.

Yep I did this for a summer. Owners were away for the summer travelling, I rented their place for the summer and minded their pets. Found it on my college's noticeboard.

It worked out fine except their dog turned out to be a spoilt little brat :pac:

Advertisement