Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Space Rental - Is it regulated at all?

Options
  • 15-05-2017 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

I'm currently renting in HSQ in Dublin 8 and received an email regarding an increase in parking rental rates.

I have been paying €50 a month for parking for the last 6 years, which is pretty standard around Dublin 8. The mail has indicated that the management company want to bring their rates up to market rates, so far I have no issue.

Except they consider market rate to be €205 a month. A jump of 155 euro a month or €1860 a year.

Now I don't mind increases to market rates, looking on daft.ie and rent.ie parking spots are between 50-80 euro generally. What I'm wondering is, is there any recourse here. The management company are not my landlord, my landlord is a private landlord but the management company have provided parking for rent.

Is there any regulation of the size of increases or somewhere I can turn to get some form of assistance with this. It's making for a case where I might need to reconsider where I'm living. Appreciate any ideas or pointing in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Is there any regulation of the size of increases or somewhere I can turn to get some form of assistance with this.

I don't think there is any regulation at all. Best advice - find somewhere else to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

What you have now is the end of the recession.
    Also landlords are using their parking spaces to add to their controlled rent so they can bring the rent up more than 4%. So landlords whonhad rented parking spaces separately will want them back and will now require tenants to rent the space with the property at a high rate.
    Best to just find another space and hope it doesn't happen to you again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Is there any regulation of the size of increases or somewhere I can turn to get some form of assistance with this. It's making for a case where I might need to reconsider where I'm living. Appreciate any ideas or pointing in the right direction.

Welcome to the free market. Either suck it up or move! There is absolutely no regulation of parking unless it is included with a dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I'm currently renting in HSQ in Dublin 8 and received an email regarding an increase in parking rental rates.

I have been paying €50 a month for parking for the last 6 years, which is pretty standard around Dublin 8. The mail has indicated that the management company want to bring their rates up to market rates, so far I have no issue.

Except they consider market rate to be €205 a month. A jump of 155 euro a month or €1860 a year.

Now I don't mind increases to market rates, looking on daft.ie and rent.ie parking spots are between 50-80 euro generally. What I'm wondering is, is there any recourse here. The management company are not my landlord, my landlord is a private landlord but the management company have provided parking for rent.

If the parking is part of the apartment the leaseholders might have courses of action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

So I rang PRTB and they said since landlord and parking renter (the management company) are separate, they have no power. They recommended Threshold.

I rang Threshold and they said they weren't sure, could they ring me back. The didn't ring me back, but the next morning the management company emailed stating I could keep my rate at the original rate. No idea if Threshold did something in the background, but delighted I can keep my car with my apartment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement