Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The North South Divide

Options
  • 15-05-2017 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I was visiting the GoCar website this morning and wanted to see where the electric cars were located. To my disappointment, they were all located in the city centre. What really struck me, was that there was a notable difference between the number of GoCar bases for EVs based Northside and Southside. Only 3 on the North and 7 South. I then turned the filter off and noticed that there is a less obvious difference (due to a high number of locations on the map) between north and south. It got me wondering two things.

1) Why are there more GoCar locations on the Southside...especially EV cars?

2) What other perceived, or real inequalities exist between North and South Dublin?

In my perhaps biased view, it seems like the southside is given priority/preference, but I may be totally wrong. The Luas doesn't run very far to the Northside for example.......and yet, the Airport is Northside.

This thread is not in After Hours, so please keep this in mind when posting. We all know that both sides of the city have all classes of people and developments, so it would be best to avoid calling out certain areas for their advantages, or disadvantages.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

goz83 wrote: »
    The Luas doesn't run very far to the Northside for example.......and yet, the Airport is Northside.

Thats due to metro north, not biased planning. Luas reoccupied the Harcourt Line which was 90% intact just overgrown. That said, ride the red line and then the green, you'll see a stark difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

IMO the north inner suburbs are better serviced by buses. If you go to Phisboro, Dorset St the number of buses is massive. Drumcondra is well serviced due to routes to the Airport. Ballymun has a ton of buses. Likewise Finglas isnt too bad. The Northside has not gotten that bigger since the 1960's, so it it very well serviced by buses. Whereas a fair amount of the southside was built in the last 30 years with a lack of decent buses in some areas

Another thing to consider is that the northside is a lot smaller than southside. The M50 is only about 5km from the GPO. Whereas if you go 8km from the GPO to the southside you are around UCD. The Southside is a lot bigger than the Northside. Also construction beyond on the M50 on the Northside is heavily restricted due to the airport and the fact they want North Co Dublin to remain farmland. Whereas the M50 on the Southside has a ton of construction.

The Southside is just bigger with less buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

In general, there are more businesses, offices etc in Dublin central and south than the north. When I used to work as a pushbike courier in Dublin, you would regularly come south as far as Donnybroook, Rathmines, Ranelagh, but rarely went very far to the North.

I think that If you were to draw a meaningful border for Dublin's business district it would fall about 66% south of the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There's probably another pattern which you will see in a lot of cities which is East-West because of the coast.. I think North-South is about 66% of the divide, but the coast accounts for the rest.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

They're a business, they want to make money. If they saw a clear opportunity to make money by putting in 4th base, they would have done it. I don't think snobbery comes into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There's probably another pattern which you will see in a lot of cities which is East-West because of the coast.. I think North-South is about 66% of the divide, but the coast accounts for the rest.

I'd kind of agree with this. I live north side but I wouldn't have a clue after the airport, but am pretty ok Southside. By the way for the poster saying that the Southside is bigger...both Blanchardstown and Tallaght are bigger towns in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Bus services in the leafier southside suburbs are awful but there are less people living there and perhaps they are more likely to walk. Plus some places have the Dart. I wouldn't say services are better in nicer areas either, maybe schools are but I would say I was far better catered to when living on the northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

goz83 wrote: »
    In my perhaps biased view, it seems like the southside is given priority/preference, but I may be totally wrong. The Luas doesn't run very far to the Northside for example.......and yet, the Airport is Northside.

Well the Luas is being built up to Carbra, I guess they were just waiting for the new DIT campus to be built.

And I think part of the reason in the delay to build a train/tram line to the airport is because IR claim they can extend the dart there for less cost and inconvenience than the proposed metro north.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Chargepoint locations Goz?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

There is a huge population difference between North and South Dublin, that's why. It's not a discrimination campaign OP!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think Dublin has more of an East-West divide than Northside/Southside. The areas around Dublin bay and the coast trend to be more affluent while the Western suburbs, many of which were built in the past 40 years, tend to be more deprived. The North/South divide is most marked in the inner city.

The south side was actually developed a good bit earlier than the north side for complex reasons, much of it to do with religious institutions owning vast land banks on the north side. Areas like Rathgar and Terenure, located about 6 km from the city centre were developed a century ago. There was housing development along the coast out to Dalkey well before WW2. On the Northside very few areas developed before the 1930s/1950s. If you look at street maps of Dublin between, say, 1915 and today you can clearly see the pattern of development of the city. It was basically south side first, long the coast and out to Terenure, then inner suburbs of the Northside and a good bit later the outer Northside and west Dublin last.

Also, the south side is considerably bigger than the Northside in area. I do think the Northside inner suburbs are well serviced by busses which is to my advantage as I happen to live there!

Advertisement