Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for Childcare in Cork

Options
  • 15-05-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,
    Just posting during a slightly frustrating search for a crèche/childminder for my (will be) 10 month old baby. I had made some headway on Friday - had a lengthy conversation with manager/owner of Orchard childcare in Douglas, I had agreed on days and had arranged a viewing for this coming Wednesday. She had discussed payment methods and everything. Then a TEXT MESSAGE arrives this morning saying that had decided over the weekend not to take babies anymore - just like that! - and sorry, we can't take your baby. Just like that.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    If anyone can recommend a professional service (unlike the above) in the Douglas area, or a good childminder, please let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am not in Cork, but could I suggest trying the following (if you haven't already)....
    Check the HSE lists for registered childminders in your area and contact them.Easily found online.
    Check if your local county council has a jobs board, online or in an office somewhere.Recently one opened up for our coco, so you never know
    Put an ad on schooldays.ie, and consider doing a month's registration with mindme.ie to place an ad/search minders.
    Check local shops and community centres for ads on noticeboards.
    Ask some of your neighbours.

Apologies if you have done any or all of those already.Also I know you probably want someone registered etc and so may be confining yourself in order to get that but
    if you open your search to some of those
    places you'd be very surprised at what might pop up.....one thing can often lead to another.

That creche's behaviour was quite unprofessional.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

www.childminding.ie are worth contacting and Cork Childcare Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 trions01

Thanks so much to you both for that advice, I have since joined schooldays.ie and have had a response from a childminder there already!
    So it looks like a childminder will be the way to go, as at least there is a bit of flexibility. Another Douglas crèche told me that I would have to pay for 3 full days (9-6pm) as that's their minimum. I just find that for us that's too long in a crèche for a 10 month old baby.
    Many thanks again for yer helpful responses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I found my own excellent childminder on schooldays.ie and I find it to be quite good.Glad you're making some progress :-)

Advertisement