Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new hose

Options
  • 15-05-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭

So the old one has fallen off the wall. It was a nice reel, simple and straight forward but ultimately a cheap B&Q own brand. The hose was dire though, always kinking on me and lately leaking around the tap, despite using quality hoselock fittings. So while I could probably save the hose and just run with a new reel, I figure it is about time I just chucked the whole lot in the bin and splashed out.

Anyone know of any good deals going at the moment or good places to buy, online or bricks and mortar. I'm looking for a wall mounted reel with about 25 meters of hose. I think 20 may just leave me wanting and stretching a bit. It will be mounted on the wall, side passage of house for use in back and front garden.

I like Karcher stuff so have been looking at this premium reel but can't find a stockist anywhere that I can look at the actual unit. Even the Karcher centre didn't even know about it when I went in a while ago. I like the box to hold the accessories. I'm forever leaving the guns out year on year and they always end up getting destroyed in the bad/cold weather. It only comes with 20m hose, but I could go with a bare unit and buy a 30m karcher hose separate.. The only thing about this though is it appears to be rolling away from the wall, so I'm not sure how it will unroll at right angle when mounted in the side passage of the house

Hozelock are another brand I like but think I would have similar mounting issue with this compact 25m one but a good deal here. Also I seen this in a shop and it does stick out a bit more that ones mounted parallel to the wall.

The Hozelock auto reels look good but I can't find a 30m one, only 20m and 40m. Very expensive.

Theses http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/hose-reels/wall-mounted-fast-reel-with-40m-hose/ look good if they did them in a shorter version, 40m way to long for me.

This simple hoselock looks very similar to what I already have, but anywhere I find it, it only has 15m of hose. Anywhere I might buy this with a longer hose or even bare unit?

Looked at some gardenia, but prices are very tasty... ?200+, good luck to that!

Anyone care to share their tupence worth me about their hosepipes :)

Comments

30m hozelock on Amazon for £99 but yud have to use Parcel motel/wizard or other.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hozelock-Auto-Reel-30m-Hose/dp/B0046REBRQ/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1494857305&sr=8-15&keywords=hose

few other choices on Amazon too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I was in the exact same situation recently so just bought a 40m one in BandQ and cut 10m off it. I needed this for the pressure washer.

If you arent going to be using the hosewith a pressure washer I got an exandable hose over a year ago and its still going perfectly, they are about 1/3 the size advertised when not in use and dont kink. I got a 30m on Amazon for about 20GBP. You wont need a reel either.

If you get one, let it expand fully before using it or they can split.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so a bit of research on the way home this evening and i have come up with a few options

i do like the idea of the auto reels and at least these seem to turn 180deg so don't stick out all the time
    Gardena 25 roll up automatic available in Homebase for E124
    Hozelock Auto reel 30m available in B&Q for E135 -think it's way to big to use parcel motel etc.
    not auto, slightly bigger unit sits flush sideways on wall Hozelock Fast reel 40m amazon for E99 or available in B&Q for E119
    Karcher used to do a 30m auto reel but seems to be a thing of the past

Or a mishmash, which i think might actually be neater and comes to a mere E77. on top of this, i think it is probably the best hose of the lot
    this hozelock reel, the set is stupid though, it can take 30m but only comes with 15m! but its only about 6 quid extra to get the set so i'd run with that as you get the connections and they would cost that anyway. + would have to go on net to buy bare unit & can can get the set in home base for E44 and then add add this hose, even though website says it only is in 30m or 50m, they have 25m in b&q for E33

favouring the gardena idea at the moment, 60:40 but the hose quality has me on the mishmash fence!

i feel like a bird choosing between handbags!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Seve OB wrote: »
    i feel like a bird choosing between handbags!!!

Buy both! :)

Haven't purchased just yet, but have been on to Hozelock customer service. So the hose that comes in the reels is what they call a premium hose. It s not a hose they sell seperately and they were relucant in telling me anything about it, but a bit of persistance leads me to believe that it seems to be one step above a starter hose, but not in the same league as the ultimate or ultra max.

• Advertisement

Just want to give Fredshed a quick shout out. Fred is the man for reviews and he replied v quickly to an email. Would recomend him if anyone needs any advice on lots of things shed orientated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Hozelock are the best there are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

_Brian wrote: »
    Hozelock are the best there are out there.

The best one is the enclosed, fix on the wall Hozelock with a Handle. I have fitted lots of these & they all work well years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Discodog wrote: »
    The best one is the enclosed, fix on the wall Hozelock with a Handle. I have fitted lots of these & they all work well years later.

I have a 50m hose. Is it possible to get a reel like this for a hose that long? Who sells them?

edit: like this?

WALL-MOUNTED HOSE REEL 60M
    http://www.ie.screwfix.com/wall-mounted-hose-reel-m.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwjPXIBRDhwICRg-DbgHISJADP6QXppzNsmjY0mS4_34HJivfQJQS7BLqm01ls9_9z5okaMRoCL0Tw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

^ crap reviews, maybe the Hozelock one

60m Wall Mounted Reel without Hose
    http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/60m-wall-mounted-reel-without-hose/
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Watering-Hoses-Accessories/Hozelock-Wall-Mounted-Reel-without-Colour-Vary/B000TAP524

well i always thought Hozelock were the best, but apparently there are better.
    Gardena being one of the more well known brands, but there are other better brands never before heard of on these shores! Also Karcher apparently have better connections, not so sure about hoses though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Seve OB wrote: »
    well i always thought Hozelock were the best, but apparently there are better.
    Gardena being one of the more well known brands, but there are other better brands never before heard of on these shores! Also Karcher apparently have better connections, not so sure about hoses though
    Assume you read Fred's stuff since you posted a link earlier.

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/watering.htm

I would discover this thread a week after buying a new hose. It's like some rule-of-boards. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    Assume you read Fred's stuff since you posted a link earlier.

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/watering.htm

I would discover this thread a week after buying a new hose. It's like some rule-of-boards. :pac:

yea, i read it and dropped him an email. dude knows his stuff!

typical lol

For anyone interested, Gardena came back to me and again said the hose that comes in their reel is a specific one just made for the reels, but this is comparable to their high end superflex hose.

decision made, homesbase it is so on the way home!

For anyone interested, Gardena came back to me and again said the hose that comes in their reel is a specific one just made for the reels, but this is comparable to their high end superflex hose.

decision made, homesbase it is so on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This is the best by a mile. It comes with the hose. Available in B&Q

http://www.hozelock.com/our-products/watering/hose-reels/wall-mounted-fast-reel-with-40m-hose/

Advertisement