Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonos Speakers

Options
  • 15-05-2017 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Looking to get Sonos speakers installed in my new build

I would like them in my kitchen/dining area & tv room. Looking to get ceiling speakers installed & then hook up all my devices, TV, phones etc & control what speakers I use for which. Example hook up TV to the ones in the tv room, hook up phone(Spotify) to Kitchen ones

http://www.sonos.com/en-ie/home

Anyone have experience using these? How many speakers are sufficient? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I don't have ceiling speakers but I do have their own standalone speakers around my house and I'm very happy with them.

Sitting room: 1 x Playbar 1 x Sub 2 x Play 1's for surround. Brilliant sound from them. Mainly used for TV audio and streaming music from Spotify.

Kitchen: 1 x Play 5. Fantastic sound and mainly used for listening to Radio and streaming.

Kids bedrooms: 1 x Play 1 each. Streaming music. Small speaker but great sound and loudness if needed.

The app pretty much runs flawlessly and they're always looking for ways to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Sonos don't do ceiling speakers as far as I am aware.

I have a few PLAY 1's and 3's like Fred above and the quality of them is second to none. Remarkable sound from the PLAY 1's even though they are small.

Be careful as buying Sonos becomes quite addictive and costly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Sponsorgate - be careful though; Sonos speakers need power cables not speaker cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Try posting in home AV they are great on this stuff.

The boys in here all listen to Status Quo on vinyl.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Stoner wrote: »
    Try posting in home AV they are great on this stuff.

The boys in here all listen to Status Quo on vinal.!!!

Vinal? Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yeah it's great better quality sound than vinyl , deeper grooves, holds the needle better in workshops, less skipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Looking to get Sonos speakers installed in my new build

I would like them in my kitchen/dining area & tv room. Looking to get ceiling speakers installed & then hook up all my devices, TV, phones etc & control what speakers I use for which. Example hook up TV to the ones in the tv room, hook up phone(Spotify) to Kitchen ones

http://www.sonos.com/en-ie/home

Anyone have experience using these? How many speakers are sufficient? Any advice appreciated

I have recently bought 2 of the Play:1s and a Soundbar. Initially wanted ceiling speakers, but having researched it in detail, opted against them.

Basically what it came down to for me was, if you have ceiling speakers they have wires that have to go back to a box of some sort. What box is that going to be, will it have Spotify etc, and how will you control it, where will you put it etc?

Instead, I went for all Sonos speakers, each with a data point and power socket in the wall behind it, up in the corners of the room. This means they are connected via the broadband and are solely controlled by my phone or iPad. No box / CD player etc at all.

You don't have to have a physical data connection for them. They work off wifi too, but for a new build (when the walls are open already), it's a nice to have.

Broadband connectivity for Sonos is different to Bluetooth, so it's not like the song is interrupted when your phone rings, and it doesn't kill your battery.

It is possible to take ceiling speakers and buy a Sonos box that ties it up with other Sonos speakers, but it seems to me that that's more for people who have already invested heavily in wired speakers, and they just want to add a digital / wireless control to them.

A good thing about the Sonos option is that you can dip a toe by buying one or two of the smallest speaker (185 quid approx) and see what you think. If you like the system, you can just add more of them, or the sound bar etc. They work as a portable speaker you plug in anywhere and connect to via wifi. They don't have to be fixed on the wall.

Hope that's of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭eireyiddo

the 60000 library song limit does my head in with Sonos app. Really are the best speakers on the planet but they need to sort the limitations on library size.

Before someone states on here, run the Google Play app/ apple music app/plex app on it and add your library to get around the limitations, I don't think I should I should have to pay for a service on top of a system that's already cost me over €1500

Really annoying when search for a song and cos of this stupid limitation can't be found.

If anyone can tell me a free alternative to get my very large music library accessible please do.

Cheers

Advertisement