Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended phone cable

• 15-05-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭

Firstly apologies if this is not the correct place for this question.

I'm in the process of having some decorating done and while I'm at it I'm trying to put my phone extension cable and coaxial behind some skirting board I bought which has cable channels in them. To do this the phone line had to be made bigger because the phone position is changing.

I went and got some rj11 cable and crimped the wires in the same order the old line was before. When I connect the phone to it though it's just a dead line. I made up a second cable of about a foot in length which I crimped in the same way but yet this works no problem when the phone is connected. The Extended cable is plugged into an Eircom fibre box just inside the front door.

Is there something I've done wrong? Could the coaxial be causing an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

markc1184 wrote: »
    Firstly apologies if this is not the correct place for this question.

I'm in the process of having some decorating done and while I'm at it I'm trying to put my phone extension cable and coaxial behind some skirting board I bought which has cable channels in them. To do this the phone line had to be made bigger because the phone position is changing.

I went and got some rj11 cable and crimped the wires in the same order the old line was before. When I connect the phone to it though it's just a dead line. I made up a second cable of about a foot in length which I crimped in the same way but yet this works no problem when the phone is connected. The Extended cable is plugged into an Eircom fibre box just inside the front door.

Is there something I've done wrong? Could the coaxial be causing an issue?

It is not clear that you tested the short cable in the same sockets as the longer cable.
    If you did then examine the longer cable for damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭markc1184

It is not clear that you tested the short cable in the same sockets as the longer cable.
    If you did then examine the longer cable for damage.

Yes all tested on the Eircom socket inside the front door. I'll check for damage tonight but I'm pretty sure it's ok because it was a new roll of wire and there is no nails or screws through the skirting yet that could snag the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

markc1184 wrote: »
    Yes all tested on the Eircom socket inside the front door. I'll check for damage tonight but I'm pretty sure it's ok because it was a new roll of wire and there is no nails or screws through the skirting yet that could snag the cable.

The next most likely cause is that the crimping is not making proper contact with some wire.
    Examine them closely to ensure the wires were inserted fully prior to crimping and did not pull back at the wrong time.
    You might need extra light and even a magnifier to get a really good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭markc1184

The next most likely cause is that the crimping is not making proper contact with some wire.
    Examine them closely to ensure the wires were inserted fully prior to crimping and did not pull back at the wrong time.
    You might need extra light and even a magnifier to get a really good luck.

Bingo. Turns out one of the contacts hadn't gone in as far as the rest. My crimpers must be a little worn so I tapped it in a bit further with a small flathead driver. Seems to be working well now. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement