Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is McAfee Any Good?

• 15-05-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have a brand new laptop that comes with 30 days of Mcafee antivirus. Is it actually any good or will i go for the Norton one instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

I have a brand new laptop that comes with 30 days of Mcafee antivirus. Is it actually any good or will i go for the Norton one instead?

i dont know if its any good or not tbh but we take it off and install the free avast version. its what i use on my own computer. never had any issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭darrenw5O94

Yeah....i did install the free Avast software too......to be sure :)

Might go with Norton like on my old laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Yeah....i did install the free Avast software too......to be sure :)

Might go with Norton like on my old laptop

make sure u delete the mcafee one.
    having two of them on isnt a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

I find mcafee to be poor, seems a magnet for malicious files as much as anything.
    There are better ones for free online

MySandwich wrote: »
    I find mcafee to be poor, seems a magnet for malicious files as much as anything.
    There are better ones for free online

Yeah.....i am thinking McAfee is not the best one to rely on, especially if you have to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

AV Test is a good website for comparing free and paid antivirus programs if you're wondering.

https://www.av-test.org/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭MySandwich

Yeah.....i am thinking McAfee is not the best one to rely on, especially if you have to pay for it.

Exactly, the free tools mentioned in this tread are perfectly fine. The pay ones are a bit of a racket to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

Their is no program that offers virus protection

Best to just install all updates, avoid dodgy websites and dodgy emails and click no to all uac prompts unless your install ot updating something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I just use Windows defender, if you use common sense, it is more than ample for the job.

Is that enough protection because i do use internet banking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Firefox, No script.

Use 2 step authentication if you are that paranoid.

Run Malwarebytes on your machine occasionaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CrazyDizzy

I had many of them, finally I downloaded free Avast that has rather high ratings. It works OK for me.
    But, I absolutely agree with Phonics 
    Phonicks wrote: »
    Their is no program that offers virus protection

Best to just install all updates, avoid dodgy websites and dodgy emails and  click no to all uac prompts unless your install ot updating something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Panda free antivirus is one I have used for years...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ItsRisteard

It probably wouldn't be my go to AV but does the job.

Malwarebytes premium is very underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JamesAlison

I don't think McAfee is good. As per my experience, Avast is good enough for antivirus removal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

McAfee isn't great and once the trial is up you will get pop ups quite often to subscribe.

Avast free is great for just a normal home PC, put it on silent mode and it will rarely bother you with pop ups unless it actually detects something. If your using windows 10, windows defender is perfectly adequate.

For removal I have always used malwarebytes. It used to be a one off purchase but I think it's a subscription now as well.

Advertisement