Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro 2017, Stage 10: FOLIGNO - MONTEFALCO 39.8km ITT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

neris wrote: »
    thomas takes proviosnal 1s, 51 seconds quicker then sanchez

Thomas could be back in the top-10 of GC by the end of today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

48 secs already.

Wow, 48 seconds gained after only 10km! :eek:

Says a lot about Thomas and his attitude to go out and put in an effort like that after the other day.

Says a lot about Thomas and his attitude to go out and put in an effort like that after the other day.

It also says a lot about my ability to predict performances :o
    He stacks up quite well. Thomas has consistently done pretty good in ITTs when riding for GC, but I'd still expect Jungels to gain between 30-60 sec on Thomas.

Thomas gained 7 sec on Jungels :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

2:09 down for nairo

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Now we have a race. Could be 3 minutes by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

It's shake up time! Doumoulin to crush it and then some.

lissard wrote: »
    Now we have a race. Could be 3 minutes by the end.

I think he needs 3 minutes to make it a real race.

holy sh1t that was sum ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

It's shake up time! Doumoulin to crush it and then some.

That was an unreal performance

That was an unreal performance

That was the kind of performance that you just have to stand up and applaud!

Sunweb really need to step up to the plate now. He was let down big time by his team in the Vuelta, last time he was in contention.

2:53 slower for quintana.

+2:53 to Doumoulin for Quintana.

Now, for all us sportive riders, we have learned something. We need to have the BBQ before the cycle, not after!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Some ride from Dumoulin.

last day could be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

that's rightly shaken things up, think i might need to work from home next tuesday!

Could be 1989 all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

All things being equal - and that Movistar and Quinatana don't ambush him like they did with Frome at the Vuelta - he should win with his advantage and another TT to come.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If that Crash hadn't taken Thomas out he might have gone even better today and made the top 5 even more interesting. Quintana lost time to all around him pretty much. Hopefully a few from Pinot, Mollemma, Jungles, Thomass and Nibbles attack frequently over the next two weeks and make it a real exciting watch (I doubt they will though)

Any one of stages 16,18,19 and 20 could result in big time gains for Quintana. Also have a feeling that Nibali could yet feature. The last week should be absolutely gripping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Yeah, this looks to be set up to be fascinating. Could be attacks from all angles, & presumably even someone like Thomas hoping that his kind of time-gaps might give him a bit of leeway in getting up the road at some stage. These grand tours tend to be down to one of two riders quite early on but quite a few realistically in the mix here & doubtful Dumoulin has the strongest ranks to be closing everything down. Hopefully will be as great as it looks like it could be.

At only 26 years old & really very early on in terms of focusing on overalls in grand tours, Dumoulin is looking like he could be stepping up to be a proper superstar. I thought it was a mistake him placing his focus last year very much on the Olympics TT when he could have been kicking on as a GT rider, though i suppose it's up to him what he feels are the big targets.

The Irish Times.... facepalm!

417540.PNG

I dunno, it looked like Tom was doing a 40km sprint at times.

Weepsie wrote: »
    If that Crash hadn't taken Thomas out he might have gone even better today and made the top 5 even more interesting. Quintana lost time to all around him pretty much. Hopefully a few from Pinot, Mollemma, Jungles, Thomass and Nibbles attack frequently over the next two weeks and make it a real exciting watch (I doubt they will though)

niballi, mollema and jungels might. nibbles has attacked before in races and jungels & mollema just seem the others more likely from those mentioned

GC Standings after today

1 Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb 42:57:16
    2 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:02:23
    3 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:02:38
    4 Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 0:02:40
    5 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida 0:02:47
    6 Bob Jungels (Lux) Quick-Step Floors 0:03:56
    7 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:05
    8 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin 0:04:17
    9 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:04:39
    10 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:05:19

Worth mentioning Thomas is 11th at 5:33 down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It will be a fantastic second half to the Giro if guys really give it a go and attack with some intent on the stages next week. Quintana probably lost a full minute more than he (or most commentators) expected and it will be very interesting to see when picks as a moment to try to claw that back. There are plenty of climbs left in the race, but not many of them will hold real fears for Dumuolin, I suspect - no Zoncolon, at least :) On this form, he could easily gain two further minutes in the 30Km ITT on the last day so Movistar possibly need a plan to put 5 minutes into him over the next week. Add to that the fact that attacks will come from other contenders and it could be a great final week to this Giro

Hopefully Sunweb have a plan for how they are going to support TD in the tough stages next Tuesday and Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

From a quick look at a profile of tomorrow's stage, that looks like it might be an exciting one. Looks classic terrain for Contador type unexpected aggression. GC guys could just let it go by but the position Dumoulin is in, passive racing is hardly what's called for.

Advertisement