Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nutritional timing

• 15-05-2017 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

How important is the timing of meals, particularly PWO?

Unfortunately the only time I can train during the week is after 11, but usually closer to midnight. So I finish up around 12:30/1:00 and quickly cool off and go straight to bed. I don't feel like throwing down a shake as I don't like sleeping after throwing it down. I am then awake any time from 6 onwards depending on when the children decide to wake, I get them ready for creche, get into work at 10 and usually only have my first meal around noon.

I am currently trying to put on some weight, but progress is very slow. I feel I could probably better optimise my meal times, but not sure how.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

jester77 wrote: »

Unfortunately the only time I can train during the week is after 11, but usually closer to midnight. So I finish up around 12:30/1:00 and quickly cool off and go straight to bed. I don't feel like throwing down a shake as I don't like sleeping after throwing it down. I am then awake any time from 6 onwards depending on when the children decide to wake, I get them ready for creche, get into work at 10 and usually only have my first meal around noon.

I am currently trying to put on some weight, but progress is very slow. I feel I could probably better optimise my meal times, but not sure how.

Meal timing will have little difference.

Meal quantity will. Add more to meals, add more meals...it's not the time of day you have the meals that is preventing progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Meal timing will have little difference.

This. I'd go as far to say as it'll make pretty much zero difference to your average Joe, not worth even thinking about although the pre,intra and post workout heroes will say otherwise.

As long as you have enough gas in the tank to train properly don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Would echo the above, though when is your last meal before training? If it's a very long gap 5+ hours you could consider moving the meal to 2-3 hours pre workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Could you dilute your post workout shake abit and sip it during your workout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Honestly i think an extra hour of sleep would do you more good as 6hrs sleep is way low

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    Honestly i think an extra hour of sleep would do you more good as 6hrs sleep is way low

Would you mind having a word with my little one?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I would love to get an extra hour sleep :D But it is only on nights I train that I don't get as much sleep, other nights are not too bad... if they don't keep me awake for a few hours at 3 or 4AM!

I usually have my last meal 90 mins before I workout.

My main reason for asking is that I always read how important the PWO shake is, followed by a meal 2 hours afterwards. This is practically not possible for me except on weekends.

I could try diluting the shake and having it during the workout, that could help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I could try diluting the shake and having it during the workout, that could help.

Won't make any difference don't worry about it

Would you mind having a word with my little one?

Thanks.

I've one of those little ones also but I'm in bed for 10 - 1030am to be ready for her.

Overall total calories per day matter more than what you have post workout

I've one of those little ones also but I'm in bed for 10 - 1030am to be ready for her.

It's the constant waking during the night. I'm up first in the morning :pac:

• Advertisement

It's the constant waking during the night. I'm up first in the morning :pac:

Been that solider

Been that solider

Periodized sleeping :D

OP, what do you actually eat once you have your first bite to eat at 12?

Advertisement