Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alcohol problem

• 15-05-2017 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I've been struggling with binge drinking every Friday or Saturday night for the last while now. I've started from nagins to a couple of beers to drinking a full 750 bottle of cheap vodka on a single night. I'm finding it extremely difficult to quit the habit. I have very bad depression and anxiety and drinking gives me such a boost until I blackout and forget a lot of stuff that happened the night. And spend the rest of the week depressed and paranoid. How do I give up the booze and somehow be happy again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Find something else to fill your time...from experience it gets far far worse

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have a look here. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1015

I'm sure others have gone through this before you.

I suppose you know that alcohol is a depressive. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the best advice I got about giving up drinking is -

ask yourself before you pick up your first drink , will my life be better or worse if I take it ?

You decide ...

But go to a professional , your GP should be able to refer you ....

Happiness once sober is another challenge you can tackle when you get a stretch of sobriety - exercise usually helps.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Hi OP, I've moved this thread from After Hours to the Personal Issues forum as you will get much better responces here than in AH.

Please take a look at the PI charter before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Get a Friday night hobby, a Saturday morning hobby and a Sunday morning hobby ...

I've been where you are and Friday and Saturday nights were solely for going out.

Roll on a number of years and I got a hobby where I had to get up for on Saturday or Sundays . Invites to the pub seemed a lot less enticing but I'd go down for one and leave at eleven - just showing my face really. Drinking friends couldn't understand it but given the choice between heading to the pub at 10 and waking up the next day feeling awful versus getting a decent night's sleep and hitting the road excited about my day of activity and fun, I would always choose the latter.

Doing something you love will boost your confidence and interacting with like minded people means you'll need less of a crutch on nights out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dannybyrnes198

Thank you for the replies.im going to start hitting 30 mins every Friday and Saturday nights on threadmill to take my mind of drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thank you for the replies.im going to start hitting 30 mins every Friday and Saturday nights on threadmill to take my mind of drinking

Consider running with a group instead of training alone. It will be more fun and you could make friends and be more motivated to keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dannybyrnes198

True yes a running club is what I need.messed up today at a communion had one to many as my relatives made me feel down. I love to DJ so much but without alcohol my confidence is so low. And even saying to my relatives that's what I want to do. They pull a face and then I'm on the booze. I just want to stop drinking and have the confidence to interact with other people

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

had one to many as my relatives made me feel down.

You need to stop drinking for a while and manage without it. There will always be an excuse. There will always be a reason why you drank too much. It'll nearly always be someone else's fault.

You need to learn how to cope with people who might not agree with you, or who might question or not understand your choices. That's life! Not everyone is going to be patting us on the back at every opportunity. If you can't handle normal day to day interaction with people without drinking too much then you're only heading one way.

Your GP should be your first stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've been where you are, some great advice here already so I won't repeat but I would recommend some counselling. I wish you the best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Danny you know you should quit drinking which is a good thing but I don't think you want to. At the moment excuses to drink are overcoming reasons not to.

Advertisement