Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/15329166.No___60m_bid_for_van_Dijk/?ref=twt&cid=dlvr.it

"Southampton have not received any offer for Virgil van Dijk with Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea interested

However, it is all quiet at St Mary’s, with no offers for van Dijk having come in and, for now at least, no imminent sense that another club is going to try and prise him away."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Burial. wrote: »
    It's truly amazing the information one can get from YouTube highlights with non copyright EDM music in the background.

Cant say I have ever used it for highlight reels ,prefer to actually watch a game .Good for you if you are amazed by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Dijk rumours make Pogba look a bit of value, 60 million and 200 grand a week you'd want to be getting a young Sergio Ramos for that kind of package.

If he was that good surely someone else would be in for him, he's 26 soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If he was that good surely someone else would be in for him

There was by all accounts. Chelsea and Man City.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There was by all accounts. Chelsea and Man City.

Has he been sold to anyone yet?
    People are acting as if he's had a medical. For all the talk & speculation the last few weeks nothing has really happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

ERG89 wrote: »
    People are acting as if he's had a medical. For all the talk & speculation the last few weeks nothing has really happened.

I posted a link above where it appears that Southampton have briefed their local paper. They are saying they have had no bids, they don't want to sell and it will take more than £60 million to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Well I wouldn't say nothing has happened. I presume his agent has leaked the information to the papers that he wants to move to Liverpool. As they all had the story at the same time. I'm sure Liverpool are well aware of what the transfer fee to get him will be and his wage demands and by all accounts seem prepared to pay both. I don't think this story has been pulled out of the air. It doesn't take much reading between the lines to see that here's obviously been contact between Liverpool/Klopp and Van Dijk and his agent.

Obviously nothing is ever really done until negotiations are over and everyone signs the contract though. Or who knows? Maybe he even fails a medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's truly amazing the information one can get from YouTube highlights with non copyright EDM music in the background.

Not everyone has the same level of knowledge as you. Some watch matches not youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

If Liverpool end up paying 60 million and 200 grand a week then that will be a big chunk of their transfer budget spent on 1 player.. It could weaken their hand when trying to sign other targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Judging a player off one season is meh tbh.

But you can juidge player based on 5-6 games and call Gabriel Jesus as wonder boy or whatever **** that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    But you can juidge player based on 5-6 games and call Gabriel Jesus as wonder boy or whatever **** that is.

Touché

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    If Liverpool end up paying 60 million and 200 grand a week then that will be a big chunk of their transfer budget spent on 1 player.. It could weaken their hand when trying to sign other targets.

Not really Liverpool have a zero net spend under klopp, there is plenty of money there.

rob316 wrote: »
    Not really Liverpool have a zero net spend under klopp, there is plenty of money there.

Don't they already spend 68% of the revenue on wages? Read Swiss ramble reporting it and it's not a healthy situation to be in.

Well I wouldn't say nothing has happened. I presume his agent has leaked the information to the papers that he wants to move to Liverpool.

More on about all the speculation. It's too early to say a player is going somewhere. Most are away with their national teams now or on holiday.
    Giggsy11 wrote:

I'm using Wunderkind all the time these days tbh. Especially since I discovered it's not Wunderkid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd take Van Djik at Chelsea but that price does reflect the nature of the league and why its going to be increasingly hard for clubs to find any decent value in the market and any window going forward.

God help anyone trying to buy a star player from a PL rival, they'll be quoted a small countries GDP.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Don't they already spend 68% of the revenue on wages? Read Swiss ramble reporting it and it's not a healthy situation to be in.

Very little debt to service though.

There revenue is in the £300m range, I've read the wage bill reported to be anywhere between £160m and £200m. Most premier league clubs are operating on this ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

There revenue is in the £300m range, I've read the wage bill reported to be anywhere between £160m and £200m. Most premier league clubs are operating on this ratio.

And a 20 million pounds loss last year

If FFP is a real thing then the limit is 70%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reading between the lines I'd say he is off to Chelsea anyways

https://twitter.com/hlninengeland/status/871999200053125120

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    Reading between the lines I'd say he is off to Chelsea anyways

https://twitter.com/hlninengeland/status/871999200053125120

I said it in the Chelsea thread, I'd be surprised if he ended up elsewhere and I cant see Costa leaving this summer either but would expect him to go next summer.

It depends on the price for Lukaku, I dont think hes worth more than 60m but 50m seems to be the new 20m, so he could go for something close to a world record, again, I dont think hes worth that at all but thats the nature of the market unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How much did ye sell him for Gav?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How much did ye sell him for Gav?

28m I think was the figure at the time, I think.

Paid 32m then for Costa.

Everton apparently still owe Chelsea some of the transfer as it wasnt paid in full, but its not reported to be very much.

I'd say when he does leave, it will be for 70-75m, hes come out saying he wants to leave and hes rejected a new contract already.

Lord TSC wrote: »

I think Chelsea were linked with him in January, looks to be a good bit of business from Arsenal.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/872018848748380160

Bellerin pretty much saying come and get me to Barca.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seeing some of the figures being quoted for Van Djik really show just how much of a bargain Spurs got Alderweireld for (?11.4 million). Crazy for one of best CB's in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

zerks wrote: »

He won't be going anywhere. Long term contract at Arsenal. Meanwhile Kolasinac has finally been announced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Southampton to report Liverpool to the PL for an illegal move after VVD. A load of journalists dropping the story at once makes it look like a brief.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Seeing some of the figures being quoted for Van Djik really show just how much of a bargain Spurs got Alderweireld for (?11.4 million). Crazy for one of best CB's in the league.

I think had he not been on loan at Southampton, that fee would have been 2 or 3 times higher. Didnt Southampton threaten Atletico with legal action as they had an option to buy him for something like half of what Spurs paid for him in the end.

But ya, quality CBs are thin on the ground, while not a natural CB, Azpilicueta for us has taken to the position with ease and only cost about £7m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

zerks wrote: »

Hopefully we can ship him out ASAP.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Southampton to report Liverpool to the PL for an illegal move after VVD. A load of journalists dropping the story at once makes it look like a brief.

Ouch..

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Kiith wrote: »

Alderweireld is obviously a brilliant signing, but transfer fees have gone bat **** crazy even since then. Add in the EPL premium and the deals of a year or 2 ago don't stand up to comparison tbh.
    Don't get me wrong, 60M for vvd is mad Ted, but just wait and see over the summer where the bar rests on these big transfers. Even 90 for Pogba looks sensible compared with what 120 odd for mbappe.
    Truth is, the likes of Southampton don't need to sell, they don't really need the money.
    From Liverpool's pov, I hope they have some kind of loyalty/discount card from the Southampton store by now.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ouch..

Link?

BBC reported it.

Here's one of many links.

It's up on sky sports now too

• Advertisement

Southampton trying to save face I'd say, surely there fans are sick of been a feeder club to Liverpool.

Southampton trying to save face I'd say, surely there fans are sick of been a feeder club to Liverpool.

https://twitter.com/adamblackmore/status/872033749453737984

He signed a 6 year contract last season I read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/adamblackmore/status/872033749453737984

He signed a 6 year contract last season I read

I was about to look up his contract situation. Southampton can certainly make this extremely difficult in that case!

pjohnson wrote: »
    I was about to look up his contract situation. Southampton can certainly make this extremely difficult in that case!

Their finances are in a good place too apparently so there is no need nor desire to sell players,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Lord TSC wrote: »

This is them trying to save face , vvd has decided he wants out and well if they say he was tapped up means it is easier to sell him if the fans hate him

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »

Not like they are losing him on the cheap. The quoted price has been north of 50M for a couple of months now. Just seems like posturing to appease the fans. We know how these things usually go when the player wants out. Occasionally they stay but more often than not they are sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭finno

This is them trying to save face , vvd has decided he wants out and well if they say he was tapped up means it is easier to sell him if the fans hate him

Looks like it is.

https://twitter.com/Shakacarnage/status/872043390799663104

finno wrote: »

Who is he? Just looks like a fan account.. they could well have contacted them in march and were told no tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If Southampton were to sell to Liverpool I'd try and get Sakho in a part exchange, with the fees being quoted they could maybe get 30m plus a ready made replacement with a lot of potential.

If Southampton were to sell to Liverpool I'd try and get Sakho in a part exchange, with the fees being quoted they could maybe get 30m plus a ready made replacement with a lot of potential.

And I'm sure Liverpool would bit there hand off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

And I'm sure Liverpool would bit there hand off.

Tbh If the lad at Southampton is valued at 50/60m in today's market and people are actually willing to pay that much I could see a lot worse ways for a deal to be structured for the saints. Not everyone rates Sakho but for a club at Southamptons level he wouldn't be bad (I think he'd actually do very well) but They could even spend the full 30m on another CB to partner him and in doing so potentially upgrade their defense as a whole despite selling

Milan signing Ricardo Rodriguez for €15m from Wolfsburg. A sane fee at least.
    Looking increasingly like Donnarumma is going out the door this summer mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Tbh If the lad at Southampton is valued at 50/60m in today's market and people are actually willing to pay that much I could see a lot worse ways for a deal to be structured for the saints. Not everyone rates Sakho but for a club at Southamptons level he wouldn't be bad (I think he'd actually do very well) but They could even spend the full 30m on another CB to partner him and in doing so potentially upgrade their defense as a whole despite selling
    Southampton are probably not keen on Sakho, he turned down the opportunity to join them on loan last season.

Donnarumma dunarunna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Milan signing Ricardo Rodriguez for €15m from Wolfsburg. A sane fee at least.

That the Swiss left back? If so that's a brilliant bit of business who I seen linked with united a year or two ago for 40 million!

• Advertisement
Advertisement