Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pjohnson wrote: »
    So WTF is the point of these loans with a compulsary buy if the money changes hands anyway?

You pay a small sum for the loan, and then a big sum to buy them a year later. The big money isn't paid until the following year so doesn't become an FFP issue until then, but the deal is still basically done. Just no money has changed hands (apart from the loan fee, which would be included in FFP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You pay a small sum for the loan, and then a big sum to buy them a year later. The big money isn't paid until the following year so doesn't become an FFP issue until then, but the deal is still basically done. Just no money has changed hands (apart from the loan fee, which would be included in FFP).

Thats what I thought. I just forgot Keita inn't actually being loaned anywhere so his case is different to the others I was thinking off. My bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sky have their big deadline day transfer saga no one gives a **** about anyway with Jonny Evans. :rolleyes:

Wait apparently City want to just pay cash for Sanchez but Wenger wants Sterling and is willing to give them Sanchez AND Cash for him??? Sanchez is the makeweight in the deal NOT Sterling

How drunk is Arsene after the Liverpool match :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

pjohnson wrote: »
    Wait apparently City want to just pay cash for Sanchez but Wenger wants Sterling and is willing to give them Sanchez AND Cash for him??? Sanchez is the makeweight in the deal NOT Sterling

How drunk is Arsene after the Liverpool match :O

NOT ACCORDING TO THIS!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/29/manchester-city-arsenal-raheem-sterling-alexis-sanchez

They say its City who have offered Sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Liverpool reject bid from Palace for Sahko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

What?

So if United buy a player for 100million, on a five year contract, FFP would only look at 60million of the fee? That makes no sense? Surely that can't be right.

The rest will be included in the review for the next term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

City and Arsenal never seem to grasp that their defensive problems are not down to personnel.

Evans is still the same player who wasn't quite good enough for United. He is not good enough for an attacking side when he will have to deal with being exposed in one on one situations. It reminds me of Scott Dann many years ago when he had a great partnership with Roger Johnson, and Dann was linked with all sorts of clubs. But the style of football played by Birmingham then and WBA now is like another sport compared to City and Arsenal.

City have some fantastic centre backs as it is so I know he wouldn't be starting but I still don't get their interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

City and Arsenal never seem to grasp that their defensive problems are not down to personnel.

Evans is still the same player who wasn't quite good enough for United. He is not good enough for an attacking side when he will have to deal with being exposed in one on one situations. It reminds me of Scott Dann many years ago when he had a great partnership with Roger Johnson, and Dann was linked with all sorts of clubs. But the style of football played by Birmingham then and WBA now is like another sport compared to City and Arsenal.

City have some fantastic centre backs as it is so I know he wouldn't be starting but I still don't get their interest.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »

I was going by SSN Transfer Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

beakerjoe wrote:
    They say its City who have offered Sterling

Apparently arsenal are willing to pay for sterling with Sanchez going though. Makes sense no sense though. Sterling will be worth nothing towards the Euro next year..........

I'll grab my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If there was ever a time for Arsenal to show they aren't a club of cowards it would be to not sell their best player to City and watch them win the league.

Unless they sell to United of course

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Roma have signed Patrik Schick from Sampdoria for 42 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Chelsea gonna be the busiest this week

https://twitter.com/matt_law_dt/status/902599950974017537

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Apart from the ox for moses possibly. You couldn't see any of them being starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Apart from the ox for moses possibly. You couldn't see any of them being starters.

They're not too bothered about that you'd think, very few games last year and their starting eleven did the business, just needed to add some depth this year and they're doing just that. Only real loss is Costa, but Morata could be just and doesn't come with the horrible attitude as a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Matias Nice Toenail

Michy's place on the bench is in danger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Chelsea's targets are very strange. Barkley & Drinkwater both not good enough. Ox-Chamberlain would be a good signing.

Conte can get the best out of players many would not deem good enough though.

astradave wrote: »
    Chelsea gonna be the busiest this week

https://twitter.com/matt_law_dt/status/902599950974017537

Arsenal surely, they are trying to sell Gibbs, Wilshere, Chambers, Perez, Debuchy and likely to loose Mustafi, Sanchez, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Chelsea's targets are very strange. Barkley & Drinkwater both not good enough. Ox-Chamberlain would be a good signing.

All Homegrown players so they tick the quota box. Not strange at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Matias Nice Toenail

Homegrown but they should've never sold ake, charbaloah at all imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

What is "good enough" though? I mean you have to have a squad of 27/28 players these days, if not more. You can't just hope for a team of average considered fifty million superstars

Ross Barkley is 23 and certainly has plentiful talent to be in a title winning squad, Drinkwater was one of the central figures in a title winning first 11 for a very average squad just last year. Both are on the fringes of the English squad

I mean, are they really not good enough? Chelsea's main problem is that they lack in depth, they don't lack in quality in general with their "top players" so they need decent PL experienced players to cover the squad.

I mean what is the scenario a Chelsea fan would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

What is "good enough" though? I mean you have to have a squad of 27/28 players these days, if not more. You can't just hope for a team of average considered fifty million superstars

Ross Barkley is 23 and certainly has plentiful talent to be in a title winning squad, Drinkwater was one of the central figures in a title winning first 11 for a very average squad just last year. Both are on the fringes of the English squad

I mean, are they really not good enough? Chelsea's main problem is that they lack in depth, they don't lack in quality in general with their "top players" so they need decent PL experienced players to cover the squad.

I mean what is the scenario a Chelsea fan would want.

Ross Barkley is one of the most overrated English footballers to ever play in the Premier League. He can pull an amazing top corner strike out of his arse every so often, but his general play is just terrible. I can't see him becoming any more than a Charlie Adam type career.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Ross Barkley is one of the most overrated English footballers to ever play in the Premier League. He can pull an amazing top corner strike out of his arse every so often, but his general play is just terrible. I can't see him becoming any more than a Charlie Adam type career.

Ah come on there are plenty who fit that criteria. Jack Wilshere for one. But Im sure I could rattle off a few like Micah Richards, Aaron Lennon, Chris Smalling and Jonjo f'n Shelvey.

Loads of English players are over rated. Just remember when Januzaj was elegible for England??? I rememebr a lot of United fans thinking he was better than Sterling and saying he was the best young talent in the league. To be fair Macheda was also rated as highly but wasnt english. Maybe its just fans of english clubs over rate their players on a regular basis. Dani Pacheco, Connor Henderson, Kleberson, Bendtner and even though he is english he needs to be mention, David (the new Beckham) Bently.

Barkley is a decent player who would be the best player at a bottom half table side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Mr.H wrote: »
    Ah come on there are plenty who fit that criteria. Jack Wilshere for one. But Im sure I could rattle off a few like Micah Richards, Aaron Lennon, Chris Smalling and Jonjo f'n Shelvey.

Loads of English players are over rated. Just remember when Januzaj was elegible for England??? I rememebr a lot of United fans thinking he was better than Sterling and saying he was the best young talent in the league. To be fair Macheda was also rated as highly but wasnt english. Maybe its just fans of english clubs over rate their players on a regular basis. Dani Pacheco, Connor Henderson, Kleberson, Bendtner and even though he is english he needs to be mention, David (the new Beckham) Bently.

Barkley is a decent player who would be the best player at a bottom half table side.
    Im not disagreeing with the theme of your post, but dont put Smalling and Lennon in the same posts as Micah Richards
    They have had very successful careers
    Smalling you could say had a season where he was in talk for best in the league

irishman86 wrote: »
    Im not disagreeing with the theme of your post, but dont put Smalling and Lennon in the same posts as Micah Richards
    They have had very successful careers
    Smalling you could say had a season where he was in talk for best in the league

They all had great seasons at one stage or another (to some degree). Thats why they where rated. But over rated.

For example Albrighton was over rated by Villa fans but now they can point to his Premier league winning medal where he was a first team player...............

Micah Richards was a "great young talent" who won the league as a first team player with Man City................

Smalling won two premier leagues but was not a first choice center back. He played games but he was a back up at most. As for the talk of the best in the league that just proves my point. He had a great season but other than that season he was always and is again slated as not being good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Barkley is underrated here. Clearly he needs to stop holding onto the ball but he has bucket loads of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

They all had great seasons at one stage or another (to some degree). Thats why they where rated. But over rated.

For example Albrighton was over rated by Villa fans but now they can point to his Premier league winning medal where he was a first team player...............

How was Albrighton overrated by Villa fans? He was a guy that should never have been let go by the club, even worse when he was an ideal player for someone like Benteke at the time. He went on and did way better as a player than the manager who sold him thought he'd do.

Corholio wrote: »
    How was Albrighton overrated by Villa fans? He was a guy that should never have been let go by the club, even worse when he was an ideal player for someone like Benteke at the time. He went on and did way better as a player than the manager who sold him thought he'd do.

If he was transfer listed now how many clubs in the top 10 would actually take him and give him a starting spot??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If he was transfer listed now how many clubs in the top 10 would actually take him and give him a starting spot??

Someone in Prem. would definitely take him. Villa were struggling at the time so him not playing for a Top 6 team or whatever is hardly a slight on him or being 'overrated'. I don't think any Villa fan would say he was a constant top 6 player but he'd easily get another decent team in the Premiership.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Someone in Prem. would definitely take him. Villa were struggling at the time so him not playing for a Top 6 team or whatever is hardly a slight on him or being 'overrated'. I don't think any Villa fan would say he was a constant top 6 player but he'd easily get another decent team in the Premiership.

I didnt say top 6. I said top 10. I dont think he would even get into a top 15 starting xi to be honest.

Albrighton is a good player dont get me wrong. But he isnt an elite player and was definitely talked about in the same breath as Ashley Young, Barry and Milner. The same as Gabby was. Over rated.

Just because I think they are over rated doesnt make it so. Obviously thats my opinion and I am just a guy on the internet. Not exactly a go to for an expert opinion. I doubt Jim White will have either of us on Thursday night evaluating the movements.

While I say they are over rated I dont mean they are not good players. I just mean those fans felt that they would go on to be GREAT players

Micah Richards was a "great young talent" who won the league as a first team player with Man City................

Smalling won two premier leagues but was not a first choice center back. He played games but he was a back up at most. As for the talk of the best in the league that just proves my point. He had a great season but other than that season he was always and is again slated as not being good enough.

I think you are under rating Smalling by a fair bit he was more than back up for most of his United career
    Albrighton is a hard working winger, hes exactly what Villa fans thought he would be, i never in my life heard a Villa fan say he would be anything else
    Grealish would be the one hyped there
    Richards had he not been injured and stayed at fb was rightfully a talent but like Wilkshire injuries ruined rather than being over hyped
    I stand by my statement Smalling shouldnt be in this conversation, hes had a stellar career, maybe because hes English and a United player people under rate him

I didnt say top 6. I said top 10. I dont think he would even get into a top 15 starting xi to be honest.

Albrighton is a good player dont get me wrong. But he isnt an elite player and was definitely talked about in the same breath as Ashley Young, Barry and Milner. The same as Gabby was. Over rated.

Just because I think they are over rated doesnt make it so. Obviously thats my opinion and I am just a guy on the internet. Not exactly a go to for an expert opinion. I doubt Jim White will have either of us on Thursday night evaluating the movements.

While I say they are over rated I dont mean they are not good players. I just mean those fans felt that they would go on to be GREAT players

I never heard this once, Young was at one time the best winger in the league and Barry is to this day a very good player and as Milner showed class players can play anywhere with the right attitude.
    Agbonlahors attitude is what ruined him he is infact the opposite to James Milner
    But i never once heard anyone say Albrighton would be a great player in the same vein as Bentley/Richards/Wilkshire
    And dont get me started on Jim White

s

Eh, Albrighton is already first choice in a top 15, arguably top 10, a team that bloody won the league. He would get into or at least wouldn't be out of place or rotate in any of Huddersfield, West Ham, Stoke, Swansea, Burnley, Brighton Bournemouth, Palace, Newcastle, Watford, Southampton, West Brom.

Eh, Albrighton is already first choice in a top 15, arguably top 10, a team that bloody won the league. He would get into or at least wouldn't be out of place or rotate in any of Huddersfield, West Ham, Stoke, Swansea, Burnley, Brighton Bournemouth, Palace, Newcastle, Watford, Southampton, West Brom.

Exactly he would be rotated in those teams and to be honest he would be lucky to get into a team that isn't a relegation candidate.

That's of course if he left Leicester
    irishman86 wrote:
    I think you are under rating Smalling by a fair bit he was more than back up for most of his United career Albrighton is a hard working winger, hes exactly what Villa fans thought he would be, i never in my life heard a Villa fan say he would be anything else Grealish would be the one hyped there Richards had he not been injured and stayed at fb was rightfully a talent but like Wilkshire injuries ruined rather than being over hyped I stand by my statement Smalling shouldnt be in this conversation, hes had a stellar career, maybe because hes English and a United player people under rate him

He played about 15 league games that season not exactly a fair bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/902793397173444609

Everton reject £25 million bid bid from Chelsea for Barkley.

Danny Drinkwater hands in transfer request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Toljan moves from Hoffenheim to Dortmund for a reported €5m. Very good business done there, long term successor to Piszczek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Andros Townsend chat is a a bit mad.

• martyos121 wrote: »
    Toljan moves from Hoffenheim to Dortmund for a reported €5m. Very good business done there, long term successor to Piszczek.

5 million is monkey nuts...you see good business can still be done without spending ridiculous amounts of money.
    It seems most of the northern European teams still keeping a level head in the transfer market. And moping up when it comes to English, Spanish & French clubs spunking money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    5 million is monkey nuts...you see good business can still be done without spending ridiculous amounts of money.
    It seems most of the northern European teams still keeping a level head in the transfer market. And moping up when it comes to English, Spanish & French clubs spunking money.
    It's just the English teams, PSG and Barca. Monaco have bought some great players for not a lot of money. Bonucci to Milan, Matuidi to Juventus - Europe doesn't care that England has piles of cash, only when their players are involved.

Dortmund also sent Passlack on a 2 year loan as well as the 5 million.

I wouldn't say it's "monkey nuts".

It is just about right in the present market. Could turn out to be very good long term business but there has to be context also.
    He is 18, in his last year of contract, not getting any game time (nor will he get much at Dortmund at the moment) and regardless of potential, which, again is potential, not guaranteed to be a top level player either , 5 million for an 18 year old with the addition of another player going the other way wouldn't be seen as an astonishing bargain in the Premier League.

But, yeah, German market is definitely less inflated than other "top" leagues, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Dortmund also sent Passlack on a 2 year loan as well as the 5 million.

I wouldn't say it's "monkey nuts".

It is just about right in the present market. Could turn out to be very good long term business but there has to be context also.
    He is 18, in his last year of contract, not getting any game time (nor will he get much at Dortmund at the moment) and regardless of potential, which, again is potential, not guaranteed to be a top level player either , 5 million for an 18 year old with the addition of another player going the other way wouldn't be seen as an astonishing bargain in the Premier League.

But, yeah, German market is definitely less inflated than other "top" leagues, no doubt.
    Toljan is actually 23, and has played 21 League games last season for Hoffenheim and both League games so far this season as well as the CL qualifier. The games he missed last season were related to a Tendon Injury that ruled him out for January/February, otherwise he would probably had 30 League games. So he was pretty much a core part of their team, and not some sidekick.

DubDani wrote: »
    Toljan is actually 23, and has played 21 League games last season for Hoffenheim and both League games so far this season as well as the CL qualifier. The games he missed last season were related to a Tendon Injury that ruled him out for January/February, otherwise he would probably had 30 League games.

:D Oopps

Well that shut me up!

But, a lot bit of the above still applies. Not sure who I was thinking of?? Maybe it is Passlack who is 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Kieran Gibbs off to West From for 7 million. Quite a bargain there in this market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Kieran Gibbs off to West From for 7 million. Quite a bargain there in this market.

would not understand why Arsenal rejected the first offer a month ago

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/10957255/arsenal-reject-10m-west-brom-bid-for-left-back-kieran-gibbs

• Advertisement

Gibbs is almost 28! wow, would have put him 24 or 25.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

5star02707 wrote: »

I believe they had accepted an offer from Watford and the negotiations with them may have been the reason why but Gibbs himself turned down that offer and as a result with little time left in the window they accepted less as they want him off the wage bill. It's good business for West Brom but he is also Arsenal's 3rd choice LB / LWB now so getting rid is the main objective for him (even if Wenger keeps playing one of his LBs in CB atm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Llorente to Chelsea "almost complete".

Liverpool officials are headed to Monaco to try to complete £74 million deal for Lemar. It must be the Coutinho money they are spending, no way would FSG sanction a bid like that unless big money was coming in to finance it.

City up bid to £70 million for Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

zerks wrote: »
    Llorente to Chelsea "almost complete".

Liverpool officials are headed to Monaco to try to complete £74 million deal for Lemar. It must be the Coutinho money they are spending, no way would FSG sanction a bid like that unless big money was coming in to finance it.

City up bid to £70 million for Sanchez.

You do know liverpool have virtually spent nothing in the last few years so have got money lying around plus champions league aswell

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can Lemar play through the middle at all or is he purely a winger?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
Advertisement