Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

markc91 wrote: »
    That the Swiss left back? If so that's a brilliant bit of business who I seen linked with united a year or two ago for 40 million!

He apparently had a dreadful year this year gOne, hence the low fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This whole Southampton to Liverpool thing is an embarrassment to Liverpool. They have given them tens of millions (may even be in the hundreds), when what they should have done is invest in the Southampton scouting system. The analysts cost a lot less than player after player after player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

This whole Southampton to Liverpool thing is an embarrassment to Liverpool. They have given them tens of millions (may even be in the hundreds), when what they should have done is invest in the Southampton scouting system. The analysts cost a lot less than player after player after player.

Their giving Southampton 50 million to buy their centre back. Southampton bought this centre back for 11 million AFTER Liverpool paid them 20 million for their previous centre back. This previous centre back we speak of is the one Liverpool want to replace today with the 50 million pound player!

You couldn't make this stuff up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

It could be worse, we could have released him when he was younger and buy him back for a world record fee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm outraged even though it hasn't even happened I'm moaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Can't say I've ever been too embarrassed about the club's finances tbh, I would imagine most fans aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's Celtic Liverpool should be buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Milan are blaming Madrid for Donnarumma refusing to sign a new contract according to Cope, Tweets in italian but thats the list of it.

https://twitter.com/partidazocope/status/872208025339150336

sword1 wrote: »
    It could be worse, we could have released him when he was younger and buy him back for a world record fee

Who did we realise? He was offered a contract, declined, left when it was over and we were paid compensation.

Cool story tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/elspanishgooner/status/872225953912631297

Reports from a lot of Spanish media outlets that Bellerin has agreed terms with Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It's not as simple as Liverpool just buying the players at the right times

If they bought him 2 years ago who knows how he would have turned out and how these 2 years playing for Southampton have progressed his career, and you can say the same for all the players they've signed from them and the same for Pogba coming from Juve, who knows how he would have turned out if he stayed at United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Can't say I've ever been too embarrassed about the club's finances tbh, I would imagine most fans aren't.

It's not just the finances, its the fact that a club like Liverpool relies on Southampton to find their players for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who did we realise? He was offered a contract, declined, left when it was over and we were paid compensation.

Cool story tho

Why bother? They live in their dream world where everything they say is true in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yay, another thread with Man United and Liverpool fans making childish comments to each other.
    This thread is (was?) quite useful for some of us not closely following all stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

lads **** off with the dick swinging of united are better than liverpool, it's boring and clogging up the thread for transfer chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A Bola saying Liverpool are launching a bid for Gelson Martins, €60 million being the reported buyout fee.

Aubameyang to PSG getting nearer,€70 million fee.
    https://twitter.com/FourFourTweet/status/872361175622746112

Le Parisien saying mBappe will stay at Monaco.
    https://twitter.com/mattspiro/status/872346709531275265

Surprised the Mendy links have died down

https://twitter.com/skyfootball/status/872370079660466177

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Dortmund have signed Maximilian Philipp, a 23 year old offensive Midfielder, from Freiburg for some 20 mil. Euro. Believed to be a high quality backup for the "glass man" Reus, who is injured again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Interesting season ahead for Dortmund with their new manager and their lead goalscorer looking like he will leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

klose wrote: »
    Interesting season ahead for Dortmund with their new manager and their lead goalscorer looking like he will leave.

Looks like balotelli going there, on a free isnt bad business but they will need him at his best.

• Advertisement

Breaking on Sky Sports

United confident on Morata

Liverpool end interest in Virgil VD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/265720-liverpool-fc-statement

Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs.

We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk.

We respect Southampton's position and can confirm we have ended any interest in the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Didn't want him anyway :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A simply astonishing display of incompetence by Liverpool.

You have to get up really early in the morning, **** your pants and set fire to the kitchen, to get the better of Liverpool's astronomical level of cluelessness.

Didn't want him anyway :o

I'm using that line when United get Fabinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sounds like they are guilty. Wonder will anything happen with this

Imagine a scenario -

City offer 50 million,
    Southampton don't accept as they want more but give permission to talk to VVD
    City offer ?125,000 a week

Liverpool offer 40 million
    Southampton outright reject and don't give permission to talk to VVD
    Liverpool talk to him anyway
    Liverpool offer ?175,00 a week

VVD declares he only wants to move to Liverpool
    City withdraw their interest

This could potentially have cost Southampton millions of pounds and if that is the scenario then I am not sure an apology will appease them.

rwbug wrote: »
    Imagine a scenario -

City offer 50 million,

This could potentially have cost Southampton millions of pounds and if that is the scenario then I am not sure an apology will appease them.

Nothing to stop City or Chelsea coming back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Surely Liverpool are only issuing an apology as they have an agreement with Southampton that they won't push the tapping up any further.
    Ok you caught us, we'll stop pursuing VVD and take our lumps in the media by issuing an apology etc.

And Liverpool just got in trouble over tapping up youth players as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Breaking on Sky Sports

United confident on Morata

Liverpool end interest in Virgil VD.

Has Morata not already agreed to AC Milan? :confused:

• Advertisement

Should the EPL investigate wrongdoing anyway, they accepted the "sincere" apology last time.

“Please also consider this letter from me to be an additional expression of sincere regret and apology from our club to your club for our actions last summer.

Our club can do better and we pledge that it will.”

Ian Ayre when Liverpool tapped up Dempsey of Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Bad start to the transfer window for both United and Pool now. VVD and Griezmann probably very high on both's high priority transfer list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Should the EPL investigate wrongdoing anyway, they accepted the "sincere" apology last time.

“Please also consider this letter from me to be an additional expression of sincere regret and apology from our club to your club for our actions last summer.

Our club can do better and we pledge that it will.”

Ian Ayre when Liverpool tapped up Dempsey of Fulham.
    If I was to guess, Southampton will accept the apology and the PL will let it lie at that. They won't want to rock the boat, especially with one of their most marketable clubs involved. No, not Southampton!
    ;)
    Or maybe I'm just getting cynical in my old age!
    :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Imagine a scenario -

City offer 50 million,

Imagine a scinario:

Liverpool tap up a player without the permission of his club.

His club get p!ssed off with liverpool for tapping up their players and demand a public apology and for them to drop interest in the player, in order to embarrass liverpool.

Another club transact their business in a legal and professional manner and sign the player for the asking price.

This won't have cost Southampton a penny and sends a message to bigger clubs that there are still some morals at corporate level in football.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Has Morata not already agreed to AC Milan? :confused:

Just reporting the breaking news on sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Time for Liverpool to have the book thrown at them now. Repeat offenders at academy and first team level.

Paully D wrote: »
    Time for Liverpool to have the book thrown at them now. Repeat offenders at academy and first team level.

Right.

Unlike all the other clubs who certainly never tap players up.

I'd say the main reason why the league dropped this was because if they had to investigate tapping up, they wouldn't have time for anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Paully D wrote: »

Nonsense. Every club is at it (tapping up, I mean), the only difference here is that Southampton chose to report it, leaving Liverpool embarrassed. The fact that the PL are taking no action shows it really isn't that big of a deal, but as with everything these days it's being blown way out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

martyos121 wrote: »
    Nonsense. Every club is at it (tapping up, I mean), the only difference here is that Southampton chose to report it, leaving Liverpool embarrassed. The fact that the PL are taking no action shows it really isn't that big of a deal, but as with everything these days it's being blown way out of proportion.

But the fact that it has been reported should mean it has to be investigated. Was this really a 1 day investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

But the fact that it has been reported should mean it has to be investigated. Was this really a 1 day investigation?

That appears to be the case, unless I'm missing something. I'm not defending the act of tapping up as it is against the rules it seems, but the fact that this happened to Liverpool and not a smaller club means everyone is out in force to condemn it when in fact their own clubs are almost certainly doing the same thing as I type this, so it's utter hypocrisy. The fact that so many are up on their high horses about this is annoying but honestly not surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That appears to be the case, unless I'm missing something. I'm not defending the act of tapping up as it is against the rules it seems, but the fact that this happened to Liverpool and not a smaller club means everyone is out in force to condemn it when in fact their own clubs are almost certainly doing the same thing as I type this, so it's utter hypocrisy. The fact that so many are up on their high horses about this is annoying but honestly not surprising.

I'm sure most clubs are at this.

The fact that liverpool are facing a youth transfer ban just adds fuel to the fire.

There were reports a couple of days ago that he could be for sale for 20m Euros and its now jumped to 30m GBP.. Lazio know Liverpool have money and are desperate now

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/872562223880785922

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool desperate? the window hasn't even opened yet ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

astradave wrote: »
    There were reports a couple of days ago that he could be for sale for 20m Euros and its now jumped to 30m GBP.. Lazio know Liverpool have money and are desperate now

That lad has absolutely no idea, no idea why he's so well regarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

astradave wrote: »

That's right yeah, sure they'd no idea how much money Liverpool had before this. Those premier league TV riches were kept well under wraps until now.

As for desperate, it's not like it's the last days of August - the transfer window doesn't even open for another 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

jesus lads my wording was a bit off, i wasn't trying to rile ye up or anything, just throwing up a link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Every other club may be at it, but every other club doesn't 'leak' the story to local press about a deal being agreed with the player. Whoever fed the story ought to have his desk cleaned out by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gbear wrote: »
    Right.

Unlike all the other clubs who certainly never tap players up.

I'd say the main reason why the league dropped this was because if they had to investigate tapping up, they wouldn't have time for anything else.

Every club does it, I don't deny that, but if you're stupid enough to get caught repeatedly, punishment is deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Every other club may be at it, but every other club doesn't 'leak' the story to local press about a deal being agreed with the player. Whoever fed the story ought to have his desk cleaned out by now.

It probably was somebody related to the club, but how do we know it wasn't from the player's side?

Benzino wrote: »
    It probably was somebody related to the club, but how do we know it wasn't from the player's side?

Pretty sure it was the likes of the Echo reporting it and quoting a source from LFC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement