Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd agree with Mourinho's assessment of the Neymar transfer.
    So I think the problem is not Neymar, I think the problem is the consequences of Neymar

The price of players seemed to increase 25% if not more across the boards after that signing happened. PSG have shattered the the transfer record twice in one window and not even batted an eyelid. Pogba last season, which many people baulked at and were shocked at the figure, broke the previous transfer record by 5%. Neymar broke the record by 111%. I don't see any problem with a financial backer investing in a club, but at same stage it has to be limited or the game is going to be ruined more than it is.

It'll drive the TV deals up even more, in 5 years season tickets will probably be more than double the price they are now. The fans always ends up paying long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fans can make a stand though. If they had the will.
    I don't think fans going through turnstiles are that important any more. I'd say gate receipts are a small percentage of the incomes of the top clubs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'd agree with Mourinho's assessment of the Neymar transfer.

The price of players seemed to increase 25% if not more across the boards after that signing happened. PSG have shattered the the transfer record twice in one window and not even batted an eyelid. Pogba last season, which many people baulked at and were shocked at the figure, broke the previous transfer record by 5%. Neymar broke the record by 111%. I don't see any problem with a financial backer investing in a club, but at same stage it has to be limited or the game is going to be ruined more than it is.

It'll drive the TV deals up even more, in 5 years season tickets will probably be more than double the price they are now. The fans always ends up paying long term.

Does the Neymar deal technically break the transfer record? Since PSG didn't actually pay the money, and since the money didn't actually go from one club to another, does it still count? Technically Neymar bought himself out of his own contract...

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Does the Neymar deal technically break the transfer record? Since PSG didn't actually pay the money, and since the money didn't actually go from one club to another, does it still count? Technically Neymar bought himself out of his own contract...

PSG paid the sum to Neymar who paid Barcelona for his economic rights. Creative accounting doesn't get around the fact! It's not like PSG could have given Neymar the money and he was a free agent and could have signed for anyone. The money paid was for his registration rights.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't think fans going through turnstiles are that important any more. I'd say gate receipts are a small percentage of the incomes of the top clubs now.

Gate receipts for teams with big grounds still provide a decent chunk of revenue. Less important recently, but big attendances provide more commercial opportunities in itself, so it's still quite important.

This is from year 2015 so the data isn't quite up to date. However it shows gate receipts were still a massive chunk of revenue 2 years ago. I'd expect it to be a bit lower now but still significant.

arsenal2.jpg?w=620&h=493&crop=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    This is from year 2015 so the data isn't quite up to date. However it shows gate receipts were still a massive chunk of revenue 2 years ago. I'd expect it to be a bit lower now but still significant.

arsenal2.jpg?w=620&h=493&crop=1

German clubs well down the list because they have very reasonable ticket prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

NIMAN wrote: »

I'm making a stand with a dodgy box

Good on ye!
    Haven't paid a subscription for football for 7 years now.

I never subscribed, the parents would have never entertained paying that much growing up and I just got used to using alternative means. I've been using a small site with a nominal subscription that was offshoot of a popular site on here some time ago when we were allowed to discuss such matters.

• Advertisement

Great to see Barcelona not getting their own way for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Great to see Barcelona not getting their own way for a change.

The ever moving excuses in the aftermath will be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Claims that Liverpool wanted €200 million for Coutinho.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/09/02/59aa8ba422601d692e8b4585.html

He is no Neymar.

RobertKK wrote: »

http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/09/02/59aa8ba422601d692e8b4585.html

He is no Neymar.

Not even close but they are right to demand that much so late in the window.

He is no Neymar.

Nobody said he is.

Great how things worked out for all in the end.

Nobody said he is.

Great how things worked out for all in the end.

Yes, most pleasing was City not getting Sanchez. Though city look like they need better defenders lol

Lot of disgruntled players at clubs they'd rather have left.

It'll be interesting to see how they play now until January. Of course they can't go lazy, a Jan move might fall through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,926 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did Mahrez ever turn up or is he still on his way to a club of clubs?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Apparently he is now looking for a January move after it was left too late for a deal to be done when he left the Algerian camp to try and push for one on deadline day. Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs linked along with Barca & Roma who both were expected to sign him at different times over the Summer

• Advertisement

Net spend for Champions League teams in the past 5 years, by group:

cMzpnhy.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

He is no Neymar.

Which is more bull from Barca to save face

Duncan Castles says Ronaldo wanted to return to United, and Real Madrid were prepared to sell him back to United for around £100 million, but only if they got Mbappe whom they were prepared to pay £165 million for.
    Mbappe didn't want the pressure of being the replacement for Ronaldo, Real Madrid then tried to sell Bale to United who refused to leave the club.
    Mbappe as we know then ended up at PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Duncan Castles says Ronaldo wanted to return to United, and Real Madrid were prepared to sell him back to United for around £100 million, but only if they got Mbappe whom they were prepared to pay £165 million for.
    Mbappe didn't want the pressure of being the replacement for Ronaldo, Real Madrid then tried to sell Bale to United who refused to leave the club.
    Mbappe as we know then ended up at PSG.

I'm sorry but honestly there's not one part of that I belive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm sorry but honestly there's not one part of that I belive.

Ah now that's harsh. I for one believe someone like Duncan Castles would say that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Paully D wrote: »

Not waiting till the last day to try do 5 deals is the better way he doesn't seem to be able to figure out from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Duncan Castles The Talking Bread says Ronaldo Messi wanted to go to West Ham United, and Real Madrid Barcelona were prepared to sell him to West Ham United for around £100 700 million, but only if they got Mbappe Jon Walters whom they were prepared to pay £165 million for.
    Mbappe Walters didn't want the pressure of being the replacement for Ronaldo Messi, Real Madrid Barcelona then tried to sell Bale Suarez to West ham who refused to leave the club.
    Mbappe Walters as we know then ended up at PSG Burnley.

See how it easy it is to be a football journalist these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

If Duncan Castles told me my own name, I'd be looking for two or three pieces of evidence off him to check if it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Eh same Duncan Castles who said Coutinho has stopped training and was mocked saying how crap journalist he is, then Coutinho stopped training with "back injury".

I don't believe the Ronaldo story though, it's just annual trash thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But Duncan Castles assured us all that Coutinho would move to Barcelona? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But Duncan Castles assured us all that Coutinho would move to Barcelona? :(

Was that not AIG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anybody read about this story?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41146009
    A La Liga statement released on Monday confirms it wrote two letters to Uefa on 22 August - one to express concerns over the French club, and another relating to City.

The body claimed that "both PSG and Man City benefit from sponsorships that make no economic sense and lack any fair value".

The statement continued: "La Liga calls on Uefa to proceed with its investigation, taking into account the full history of PSG's actions. Additionally, La Liga calls on Uefa to open a similar investigation into Man City."
    So La Liga are getting their knickers in a knot because now there are other teams that can rival Madrid and Barca's spending power. It is quite entertaining to see them throw the toys out of the pram, what with this and trying to block the Neymar deal. Real and, to a lesser extent, Barca's spending have their part to play in the reason why these clubs have to spend big to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anybody read about this story?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41146009

So La Liga are getting their knickers in a knot because now there are other teams that can rival Madrid and Barca's spending power. It is quite entertaining to see them throw the toys out of the pram, what with this and trying to block the Neymar deal. Real and, to a lesser extent, Barca's spending have their part to play in the reason why these clubs have to spend big to compete.

Toys well and truly out of pram

Its like Barca "not getting involved in this market" yet spent about 1m a week on the MSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I find it very funny that La Liga, on behalf of Barca or Real or both, are complaining about FFP.

Wasnt it Real Madrid who had hundreds of millions of debt cleared by the government about a decade ago, didnt they also sell their training ground for property development for about 100 times what it is actually worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm glad the Paella Old Firm are now on-board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who lent Real the money to redevelop the Bernabeu stadium?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not sure it matters with regards to FFP. Pretty sure stadium and youth development expenses are exempt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Silva isn't eligible to play for Leicester until January. Seems a very big mistake by someone.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41118927

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

:) I really hope they call it the Abu Dhabi Bernabeu.

http://sport360.com/article/football/la-liga/196923/abu-dhabi-complete-deal-for-bernabeu-naming-rights-as-part-of-real-madrids-ipic-funded-stadium-development/

Abu Dhabi complete deal for Bernabeu naming rights

Spanish giants Real Madrid on Tuesday relaunched their 400 million euro [Dh1.6bn] bid to modernise their Bernabeu stadium paid for by an Abu Dhabi investor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It doesn't count towards ffp. But I would compare that more, to city and west Ham having stadiums pretty much built and handed to them by the fa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Mr.H wrote: »
    It doesn't count towards ffp. But I would compare that more, to city and west Ham having stadiums pretty much built and handed to them by the fa

Except City and West Ham dont slag off the FA and accuse them of all sorts....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mr.H wrote: »

The Commonwealth and Olympic stadiums were UK taxpayer build stadiums that the FA had no involvement in. So handing them over to City and West Ham had nothing to do with the FA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41188235

Premier League clubs have voted to close next summer's transfer window before the season starts.

I find this very strange tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41188235

Premier League clubs have voted to close next summer's transfer window before the season starts.

I find this very strange tbh.

Why strange?

Think its a brilliant move. They have 2 and half months to get business done, its bad planning leaving it to the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

rob316 wrote: »
    Why strange?

Think its a brilliant move. They have 2 and half months to get business done, its bad planning leaving it to the last minute.

Because other countries won't close their windows early. So you'll have players heads being turned by European clubs but no hope of signing a replacement for them.

Because other countries won't close their windows early. So you'll have players heads being turned by European clubs but no hope of signing a replacement for them.

The PL clubs can't buy or sell anyone once the PL Transfer Window closes. Doesn't matter if the other windows are still open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The PL clubs can't buy or sell anyone once the PL Transfer Window closes. Doesn't matter if the other windows are still open.

They can sell players to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

emmetkenny wrote: »

Other leagues can buy player from PL once the PL window is shut. Only PL clubs can't buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well that would be stupid, surely it will closed to buying and selling?

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Well that would be stupid, surely it will closed to buying and selling?

That's what I got from the BBC article. Maybe I picked it up wrong.

Advertisement