Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

astradave wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was the likes of the Echo reporting it and quoting a source from LFC.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Be interesting to see what happens with VVD now, no doubt he wants a move. I'm glad we aren't the money rumoured for him however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If clubs didn't talk to players before negotiating with their respective clubs, getting deals done would be a nightmare. Southampton didn't go in blind to their negotiations with Celtic over VVD, they knew well he was interested in the move and they know this through agents.

While I don't for a second doubt Liverpool's ability to put their foot in it, Southampton are being a bit precious here IMO. Liverpool are simply doing to them what they do to Celtic and the likes of City or Chelsea can do to Liverpool; tempting their better players away with the offer of more money. That's how football works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Didn't Spurs threaten United with similar a few years ago over either Berba or Carrick, only to drop the complaint once they got the fee they wanted. I think Arsenal too may have done this with Ashly Cole's move to Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What am absolute ****show that vvd transfer turned into. Shocking at this stage that liverpool don't have good relations with Southampton, or maybe sotn are just pissed off being known as a Liverpool feeder club after the last few years.

Look, every club is at it, Southampton are surely at it all the time but this is embarrassing for the pool whatever way you look at it. I don't think they're going to get a transfer ban though.

Whoever said the scenario first that this could cost Southampton money is right. As it stands now the players value has gone down as one of the most interested parties has withdrawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

His agent Jorge Mendes is due to meet with AC Milan.

zerks wrote: »

The sith Lord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Jayop wrote: »
    What am absolute ****show that vvd transfer turned into. Shocking at this stage that liverpool don't have good relations with Southampton, or maybe sotn are just pissed off being known as a Liverpool feeder club after the last few years.

Look, every club is at it, Southampton are surely at it all the time but this is embarrassing for the pool whatever way you look at it. I don't think they're going to get a transfer ban though.

Whoever said the scenario first that this could cost Southampton money is right. As it stands now the players value has gone down as one of the most interested parties has withdrawn.

I dont get that though. Why is it embarrassing? most people agree that this sort of crap happens all the time. It just seems that Liverpool apologized to be diplomatic and cool things down so there is no off field distraction. I mean nobody actually gives a crap about Liverpool apologizing. Surely it will be used by opposition fans to have a giggle but even they will secretly think "who gives a f@ck?"

They wont serve any ban as the league already said the case was dropped.

Soton likely made a complaint and the league approached Liverpool about it. Liverpool obviously felt they may have over stepped the line by talking to the player, so their owners decided that we should just say sorry and move on. So the League most likely said that would be enough to drop the investigation.

The weird thing is that we see this stuff all the time. Whether it is Spanish players putting a Barca jersey on Cesc or a manager and player with an agent in common getting a deal done............. I bet when Ibra was signing for United they at least had the chat with the agent about signing Pogba as well.

Anyone who thinks that this situation is farcical is talking nonsense as IT IS THE NORM

Instead of spoofing about united read your own thread where people say it's embarrassing.

This isn't a united vs Liverpool thread and my post wasn't sending it that way so don't go there.

Instead of spoofing about united read your own thread where people say it's embarrassing.

This isn't a united vs Liverpool thread and my post wasn't sending it that way so don't go there.

What spoofing are you on about??? Your really telling me that what Im saying isnt true?

Im not trying tio make it about United. I also mentioned Barca and Arsenal so what are you on about? They are examples of deals where it could be seen as talking to players without agreements made.

People saying its embarrassing are just talking rubbish

• Advertisement

Go ask your own supporters why they're embarrassed. The club having to make a public apology is embarrassing because they were so stupid to get caught with the hand in the cookie jar. It's moronic that they should be so poor at the dodgy dealings to be caught and forced to make the second public apology I'm recent years over dodgy transfer dealings.

Yeah every club does it. Only one is forced to make a big act of contrition. That alone is bad enough to but not you have had to step away from a transfer you badly wanted and burn the club who you do the most dealings with is worse.

Maybe I'm wrong and your negotiation team have played an absolute blinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Go ask your own supporters why they're embarrassed. The club having to make a public apology is embarrassing because they were so stupid to get caught with the hand in the cookie jar. It's moronic that they should be so poor at the dodgy dealings to be caught and forced to make the second public apology I'm recent years over dodgy transfer dealings.

Yeah every club does it. Only one is forced to make a big act of contrition. That alone is bad enough to but not you have had to step away from a transfer you badly wanted and burn the club who you do the most dealings with is worse.

Maybe I'm wrong and your negotiation team have played an absolute blinder.

*shrug* can't say i'm all that embarrassed....

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    *shrug* can't say i'm all that embarrassed....

Maybe not but a lot of people in your thread were. Is that untrue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Maybe not but a lot of people in your thread were. Is that untrue?

Some people liked to claim embarrassment, but some people like to claim a lot of emotions when it suits their already firmly held positions.

It was unfortunate, and weird, and i'd rather it hadn't happened... but embarrassment all seems a bit 'knee-jerk-social-media-pretend-outrage' for me...

An auld bit of faux-emotion over things that are actually very quickly forgotten is just the done thing these days amongst some I guess. And it's a bit of fuel to the existing arguments of others. I'm almost surprised someone hasn't blamed John Achterberg for it yet!

It goes without saying that's it's John's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

rwbug wrote: »
    Imagine a scenario -

City offer 50 million,
    Southampton don't accept as they want more but give permission to talk to VVD
    City offer ?125,000 a week

Liverpool offer 40 million
    Southampton outright reject and don't give permission to talk to VVD
    Liverpool talk to him anyway
    Liverpool offer ?175,00 a week

VVD declares he only wants to move to Liverpool
    City withdraw their interest

This could potentially have cost Southampton millions of pounds and if that is the scenario then I am not sure an apology will appease them.

Or Southampton wants to retain player and don't need money for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mr.H wrote: »
    IT IS THE NORM

Doing it so blatantly and amateurishly to the point a public apology was necessary is most certainly not the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Aaaaand it's back to pool vs utd very quickly,get a room lads ffs

Aaaaand it's back to pool vs utd very quickly,get a room lads ffs

In fairness it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He spoke to the media after Spains game last night, not really surprising with the Lukaku to Chelsea links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mino doing everything in his power to keep his employers happy :D

https://twitter.com/sport_witness/status/872695939932336129

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Personally I would call it hilarious more so than embarrassing
    Extremely amateurish behaviour from Liverpool FC
    Can Southampton still proceed with the complaint regardless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Personally I would call it hilarious more so than embarrassing

They can but it may not be politic to do so, as noted everyone taps up to some degree. It might be best to take the victory they have and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

They probably could, but I reckon that the statement was agreed with Southampton in advance as part of an agreement not to pursue the allegation.

Reading up a bit on this it appears the problem is with leaking to the media the fact LFC met VVD, rather than that the meeting took place - it seems to be common practice that clubs meet players all the time, which doesn't surprise me in the least.

Whoever briefed the press should be sacked TBH.

• Advertisement

It would be more common practice that the clubs would meet with the players agent rather than the player themselves, that's how they get around the "tapping up" as it's too hard to prove that it was in relation to a certain player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

zerks wrote:
    Walker refuses to commit to Spurs.

Maybe I'm wrong but if City don't pay top dollar for Mendy I can't see them doing it for Walker.
    zerks wrote:

He's Belotti's agent. I can't see Milan paying what is wanted for Belotti or Morata. Think both are valued at 70-90m euros.

Doing it so blatantly and amateurishly to the point a public apology was necessary is most certainly not the norm.

Ah now it was hardly more public than any other deal. Fact is Soton just wanted to stop the deal and after VVD said Anfield was the only place he wanted to go, it kinda was their only way to stop the transfer

It sounds like the league acted as an intermediary between the two clubs and got Liverpool to make an apology and drop the pursuit in turn for dropping the investigation.

The league have already said the matter is dropped

As for the behavior................ How is this any more amateurish than approaching the parents of a kid in Lens or LeHarve and giving them a huge financial package to move to England?

Liverpool talking to the player is no different to certain managers getting in touch with players through their own agent or players that might know said player on international duty.

There are loads of examples of tapping up but I dont want people thinking this is a liverpool vs <insert name of any team> thing

This is just an instance where the line was over stepped and the matter was dropped after an apology. Trying to claim embarrassment is just pathetic and is just faux outrage.

This matter will be forgotten next week

Ah now it was hardly more public than any other deal. Fact is Soton just wanted to stop the deal and after VVD said Anfield was the only place he wanted to go, it kinda was their only way to stop the transfer

It was the apology that was public, nobody pays any attention to any of the other crap which exactly why it takes something special to actually get caught doing it wrong.

And its simply untrue to say it was Southamptons only way to stop the transfer, they have the player on a 5/6 year contract to the best of my knowledge, so they have plenty of negotiating power in that situation.

• Advertisement

It was the apology that was public, nobody pays any attention to any of the other crap which exactly why it takes something special to actually get caught doing it wrong.

And its simply untrue to say it was Southamptons only way to stop the transfer, they have the player on a 5/6 year contract to the best of my knowledge, so they have plenty of negotiating power in that situation.

Yea loads of negotiating power if your talking about the end game being losing said player.

I said they wanted to stop the deal as in keep the player.

If things pushed on with Liverpool being the only club he wanted to go to it would have led to a transfer request and the fee not really rising as there was no competition for his signature.

Do you really think the actual football world (not just opp. fans) think the apology was embarrassing?

When you do something wrong you should apologise and then things move on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They can but it may not be politic to do so, as noted everyone taps up to some degree. It might be best to take the victory they have and move on.

I agree that tapping up goes an all the time, but its usually agents feeling out club reps. Having a personal meeting between Klopp and Van Djik is on the upper scale of things and could have serious ramifications, especially given Liverpools recent academy tapping up case.

Do you really think the actual football world (not just opp. fans) think the apology was embarrassing?

The fact that they had to do it at all is the embarrassing part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

City have signed a keeper if anyone is interested......

The fact that they had to do it at all is the embarrassing part.

They had to? You have a source on that?

They made the apology. Facts are they didnt have to. If they wanted to keep going they would probably get the player for about 60 million after a transfer request. The club would probably get a suspended points deduction and the key people would be a fined a couple of hundred thousand.

They didnt have to do sh@t

They chose to repair relations and do things the right way after they were caught.

City have signed a keeper if anyone is interested......

Who cares:D

Ederson?? Is he now the most expensive keeper on the planet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

zerks wrote: »

Walker is contracted until June 2021 by which time he will be 31. Jeez we love him and all but we don't want him to move in entirely.

I feel an apology coming on from somewhere beginning with "M".

In Levy we trust. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The apology is weird, imo.

It doesn't apologise for tapping the player up (would be crazy to do so!) - it apologises for recent media speculation. It doesn't say liverpool created or informed that speculation - so why apologise at all? Saying sorry because papers wrote about a transfer is insane on the face of it. Are United going to apologise to every club whose players they have been linked to? Would be a full time job doing that....

I get that their is more behind the scenes and an argument that the media were briefed by Liverpool - and that Southampton were annoyed by these media briefings (having been annoyed, apparently, by similar actions regarding Lalana, Clyne, Lovern) but the actual apology doesn't address that stuff (and I'm not saying it should cause it would leave the PL with little options but to pursue punishment) so it just seems so empty and pointless.

Also - in no way am I having a go at Liverpool over this as I believe that basically every transfer involves tapping up to some extent so i'm throwing no stones anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I have to agree.

I'm wondering if the problem between Liverpool and Southampton is that, by letting it be known that VVD had chosen them, Liverpool basically stopped any bids from City or Chelsea?

Essentially, Southampton are not annoyed over the 'tapping up' (it goes on everywhere) and were (are?) even willing to sell the player but wanted a bidding war to maximise their return?

If the idiot who briefed the press had merely said that Liverpool were interested in making a bid for VVD, Southampton wouldn't have had any issue - IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Did anything happen over the Pogba transfer 'investigation' or was that just a load of raimeis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sterling yes, in euros no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Until De Gea goes to Madrid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Burial. wrote: »
    Did anything happen over the Pogba transfer 'investigation' or was that just a load of raimeis?

Slap on the wrist fine for the agent and Juventus, nothing for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

96cbfd6ba6f212af544a0905fdb96a0d.png

My French isn't the greatest but something along the lines of I still maintain Mendy is going to City based on my information. He's the same lad who ran the Bernardo Silva news. International duty bound to be affecting quite a few moves atm. If City pick up Bertrand as well they'll have fine LB options with Kolarov around too.

96cbfd6ba6f212af544a0905fdb96a0d.png

My French isn't the greatest but something along the lines of I still maintain Mendy is going to City based on my information. He's the same lad who ran the Bernardo Silva news. International duty bound to be affecting quite a few moves atm. If City pick up Bertrand as well they'll have fine LB options with Kolarov around too.

Yeah I'd expect things to start moving quicker from Monday.. another reason to hate internationals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It doesn't apologise for tapping the player up (would be crazy to do so!) - it apologises for recent media speculation. It doesn't say liverpool created or informed that speculation - so why apologise at all? Saying sorry because papers wrote about a transfer is insane on the face of it. Are United going to apologise to every club whose players they have been linked to? Would be a full time job doing that....

It implies they're sorry for tapping up with enough wiggle room to prevent the PL from charging the club with an official admission of guilt on their website used as evidence.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Slap on the wrist fine for the agent and Juventus, nothing for United.

I assumed you meant when Pogba signed for United?

Did anything happen with that?

Lol you can't help yourself can you.

Fifa cleared united of any wrongdoing whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

There don't seem to be any work permit questions being raised regarding City signing Ederson, but he's 23 and has no senior international caps. Anyone able to shed some light on it? Seems unusual.

Advertisement