Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

rob316 wrote: »
    I'd like tadic but I hope that's not instead of salah.

Looks like that is the case with the reports in Italy

https://twitter.com/footballitalia/status/873867169343451139

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Serge Gnabry has signed for Bayern Munich from Werner Bremen. Apparently he had some kind of clause in his contract.

Pretty underwhelming business by them. Even though he had a good season himself & Coman aren't great understudies for the mid 30's Robben & Ribery. Long term it's quite a drop in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ERG89 wrote: »
    Pretty underwhelming business by them. Even though he had a good season himself & Coman aren't great understudies for the mid 30's Robben & Ribery. Long term it's quite a drop in quality.

Who knows how they'll turn out in 5 years

Ribery was playing in Turkey when he was 22, same age as Gnabry in a few weeks and Robben was joining Chelsea when he was 20 like Coman is now and Coman has done more than Robben did before turning 21

Bayern don't usually pay mad prices for players (Renato Sanches aside) like other clubs do so you'll see them go for prospects like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Juventus reject £52 million bid from Chelsea for Sandro.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/873997050836287491

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Italian media reporting that Milan will sign Porto striker Andre Silva for 38m. His medical will be tomorrow. Good signing if true. He looks like being Portugal's top striker for the next decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Tadic is quality. Best Southampton player by a mile.

ok, lots of weird thoughts will be spouted over the transfer window, but this nonsense might top the lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Italian media reporting that Milan will sign Porto striker Andre Silva for 38m. His medical will be tomorrow. Good signing if true. He looks like being Portugal's top striker for the next decade.

Wow that could be the signing of the summer, the kid looks amazing. When you see the figures quoted for Morata and Mbappe thats a super bargain

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/874178220928753664

"Klopp has talks with mBappes agent over possible transfer."

No way are Liverpool offering the kind of money that's being talked about for this kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Typical nonsense where every second day a new team is linked to the flavour of the month. Sick of it already. Anyone down for a tenner charity bet? I say Mbappe doesn't leave this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is this kid really going to cost £100m?

Burial. wrote: »
    Typical nonsense where every second day a new team is linked to the flavour of the month. Sick of it already. Anyone down for a tenner charity bet? I say Mbappe doesn't leave this summer.

He'll end up at Madrid, they'll sell Morata and James then spend the money on a shiny new toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

rob316 wrote: »
    Is this kid really going to cost £100m?

Minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Now Sport are saying Chelsea are going to gazump United for Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Everton in talks with Sandro

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40244847

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

rwbug wrote: »
    ok, lots of weird thoughts will be spouted over the transfer window, but this nonsense might top the lot.

Who do you think is better ?

Vvd... forster....meh. I'd have tadic over both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Tadic is the epitome of a hot and cold player. Can look like he should be playing for one of the bigger teams one week and the other he seems utterly disinterested.

astradave wrote: »

How much did they bid? They must have Wenger on duty for transfers:)

Jayop wrote: »
    Now Sport are saying Chelsea are going to gazump United for Morata.

Barca biased outlet, I would ignore that.

zerks wrote: »
    Barca biased outlet, I would ignore that.

Ya I know. Sports witness were pretty dismissive.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    How much did they bid? They must have Wenger on duty for transfers:)

Most of the reports are saying £24m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Does anyone know how much Cork City received from Preston for Sean Maguire?

Cervantes2 wrote: »

I don't think there was any figures released about it, he is staying with Cork till July isn't he, might not hear anything until it becomes "official"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Cervantes2 wrote: »

He had a 150,000e release clause in his contract.

Coutinho on Barca talk; "it's complicated"

https://twitter.com/IndyFootball/status/874258134751162368

Joe Hart could go on loan to West Ham,wages a problem for permanent deal.

Liverpool reported to have made improved offer for Salah and deal could be done soon.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/874261256219365376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He had a 150,000e release clause in his contract.

City won't receive 150,000. Clauses were inserted, that was the delay in the official announcement when most people knew about the move already.

That's not the kind of chat you'd be too happy to head about if you're a Liverpool fan. Of course it could be 1) BS or 2) lost in translation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its complicated? It's an international break during a transfer window more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

First summer in about a decade I've been excited about the prospect of Milan next season. Have gone in big on youth already and still look to bolster.
    But probably equally important to not lose the most sought after keeper in Europe.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    First summer in about a decade I've been excited about the prospect of Milan next season. Have gone in big on youth already and still look to bolster.
    But probably equally important to not lose the most sought after keeper in Europe.

Reports this morning that they will go for Pepe Reina as a short term option should Donnarumma leave.

Speaking of keepers,Everton working on a £30 million deal for Pickford.

https://t.co/8eXbfFlLw3

• Advertisement

At 30m I'm surprised Klopp hasn't been snapchatting him all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

30m for Pickford is madness, hes a decent GK, nothing more.

• GavRedKing wrote: »

English & 23
    Not that suprising anymore tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

GavRedKing wrote: »

Same age as Ederson, neither capped at senior level, both have limited top flight experience. Ederson played in the Olympics, Pickford has been capped at every youth level for England.

I don't disagree that £30 million is madness but it really is all relative nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think he is better than decent in fairness to him.

His distribution is excellent for the most part, bit don't suspect Everton will utilise his long punts as much as Sunderland did.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wardling

zerks wrote:
    Speaking of keepers,Everton working on a £30 million deal for Pickford.

It's a big price for a keeper who's had 1 good season. Most people's fears on pickford is his distribution, but that can easily be taught/coached. Shot stopping is excellent. I suppose with the transfer prices mooted this window 30mil is probably the market price. He'll be giving time at Everton too and be under less scrutiny than at Liverpool/arsenal.

Better option than Hart who will probably go for the same price if a permanent deal is done. How much would butland or forster cost if they want to buy english? If pickford succeeds 30mil for a solid keeper who could play 10-15 years for you and is an English player for squad registration is a reasonable enough outlay.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    English & 23
    Not that suprising anymore tbf

That really does account for a good 50% of this transfer in fairness.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

30m is nothing these days

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He's surely better than Robles anyway.

He's got plenty of time to learn and Stekelenburg isn't a bad backup/mentor to have around either.

Prices don't really shock me anymore, especially in the EPL.

Surprised noone is trying to snap up Watmore from Sunderland as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GLaDOS wrote: »
    30m is nothing these days

I remember some justification for Pogba's fee last summer was that although it was a crazy amount, he was only third in the list of record fees for United when you considered percentage of turnover.

Cnz9-lPXgAAZSRc.jpg

Point being, although 30m for the likes of Pickford is more than he ever would have went for even two years ago, its inflated because all the clubs have so much more money than they used to. A quick google search says Everton had a turn over of about £125m in 2015/16. So if you say it's about the same again this year, Pickford for 30m would probably be about 20%, the rough equivilent of Pogba for United. Fees will just continue to balloon up as clubs in England get more money and although it would be nice if increased turnover equated to bringing in more players, it's just not working that way.

(*Awaits people to rip apart my Maths :P*)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Lord TSC wrote: »

It would be nice if increased turnover equated to bringing in better players, it's just not working that way.

Fyp. Not having a dig at Pogba or Pickford, just in general with the Premier league teams. More money for transfer fees and wages in the premier league and yet the worlds best players are playing in the Spanish league, Juventus and Bayern Munich.
    Premier league teams have fallen behind the European giants despite the influx in cash.
    Average players going for ridiculous fees and wages.

Can Everton afford to spend 30m on a keeper is the question for me? Its ok City doing it because they will just buy another and another. But everton need a lot of work to their team, if they have a limited budget(and maybe they dont i know there owner is rich) is spending 30m on Pickford the answer?

Personally i have no idea if hes good or not, making a lot of saves but still conceding 3 at sunderland is no mark of whether a keeper is good or not. I honestly cant say with any conviction if he is good or not, i do know i would like a bit more experience than playing for the bottom team in the league for 1 year though.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I remember some justification for Pogba's fee last summer was that although it was a crazy amount, he was only third in the list of record fees for United when you considered percentage of turnover.

Cnz9-lPXgAAZSRc.jpg

Point being, although 30m for the likes of Pickford is more than he ever would have went for even two years ago, its inflated because all the clubs have so much more money than they used to. A quick google search says Everton had a turn over of about £125m in 2015/16. So if you say it's about the same again this year, Pickford for 30m would probably be about 20%, the rough equivilent of Pogba for United. Fees will just continue to balloon up as clubs in England get more money and although it would be nice if increased turnover equated to bringing in more players, it's just not working that way.

Pogba cost £89m

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

POKERKING wrote: »
    Can Everton afford to spend 30m on a keeper is the question for me? Its ok City doing it because they will just buy another and another. But everton need a lot of work to their team, if they have a limited budget(and maybe they dont i know there owner is rich) is spending 30m on Pickford the answer?

Personally i have no idea if hes good or not, making a lot of saves but still conceding 3 at sunderland is no mark of whether a keeper is good or not. I honestly cant say with any conviction if he is good or not, i do know i would like a bit more experience than playing for the bottom team in the league for 1 year though.

They likely have at least £80m on the way for Lukaku. I reckon that deal is essentially already done and they are trying to get their business done beforehand to avoid too much price gouging.

Everton are probably going to be getting 70-90m for Lukaku soon enough so the cash is there, there is however a lot of emphasis on GKs coming to the league not being used to the physical nature of the PL, so maybe they went with a "safer" option of a HG player used to the league.

I will say, without looking at his height, he does look rather small for a PL GK and his distrbution against Chelsea in the two full games I've seen him play was woeful.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    They likely have at least ?80m on the way for Lukaku. I reckon that deal is essentially already done and they are trying to get their business done beforehand to avoid too much price gouging.

So they get 80m, shell out 30 on pickford a min of 30 on lukaku's replacement and then 20m on a midfielder, imo it leaves them incredibly weaker than they were before with Lukaku. I know its hard to gauge they may have another 100m to spend somewhere so hard to know this early.

I would have looked to Hart, prob get him for 10m with wages subsidized then used the money elsewhere.

I suppose this is a good long term deal, assuming Pickford is any good which i dont think anyone knows.

So they get 80m, shell out 30 on pickford a min of 30 on lukaku's replacement and then 20m on a midfielder, imo it leaves them incredibly weaker than they were before with Lukaku. I know its hard to gauge they may have another 100m to spend somewhere so hard to know this early.

I would have looked to Hart, prob get him for 10m with wages subsidized then used the money elsewhere.

I suppose this is a good long term deal, assuming Pickford is any good which i dont think anyone knows.

Considering Begovic went for about 10m, I'm surprised Everton werent in for him.

I'd take him over Hart and Pickford but as you said, its about the future and Pickford still has time to improve.

On their other spendings, it will be nearly impossible for Everton to replace Lukakus goals, even if they wanted to spend 100% of what they got for Lukaku on a replacement, finding someone willing to go and that will get you 20-25 goals is pretty hard, every side in England is trying to do the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Not a chance Hart goes for ?10m and has his wages subsidized.

So because you dont know if he is any good you just assume nobody does. Anybody that has seen him play can see there is some talent there, he is a very good shot stopper and has good foot movement (much better than Harts) and its whether he will be able to make the step up with more pressure and if his concentration is up to scratch because he wont/shouldnt be as busy as he was for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Pickford is more like £20m then the rest in addons tbf

LeeJM wrote: »
    Not a chance Hart goes for ?10m and has his wages subsidized.

So because you dont know if he is any good you just assume nobody does. Anybody that has seen him play can see there is some talent there, he is a very good shot stopper and has good foot movement (much better than Harts) and its whether he will be able to make the step up with more pressure and if his concentration is up to scratch because he wont/shouldnt be as busy as he was for Sunderland.

How much does Hart go for then? and who buys him?

I have seen Pickford play at least 10 times, i never said there was no talent there my point is, in his situation where you are bombarded every week making saves but still conceding 4 goals its hard to make a decision if hes any good. How would he be with only two shots to save all game? You could put a bog standard championship or reserve PL keeper in goal for sunderland last season and he will make a tonne of saves, they will still lose though. That's my point.

As no one has ever seen him play in a competent premier league team then i stand by the point no one knows if he is any good at that level. Its all guess work. Maybe right, maybe not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement