Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When so many recruits this season and last fall into a certain category, it's good to bring in an old head. Especially one who can still cut it at the top, is an absolutely model pro who younger players will learn from and has the distinct added advantage of knowing the demands and facets of Guardiola's approach and should be able to help in enforcing those qualities to fellow teammates. Excellent signing.

I bet you said the same about Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

pjohnson wrote: »
    I bet you said the same about Bravo.

That'd be tough considering a decent proportion of what I said in my 2 comments about the transfer do not apply to Bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Dani Alves has been a fantastic player for a long time and he has just had another great season. He is up there in the argument, along with his compatriot Cafu, for greatest right back of all time.

Having said that I'm not so sure it's a good signing. The Premier league is different and you see players like him getting caught out of position all too often and if Alves has lost any pace it will happen to him. He is a very similar type of player to Pablo Zabaleta who has lost a bit of pace and really can't be as involved in an attacking sense anymore like he was in his prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lord TSC wrote: »
    ?

In the current market, that looks a decent deal. Or am I missing something?

As a Fifa player, I dread the idea of Mane and Salah having perfect chemistry together :P

Oh I'm in favour of Salah but not the torrent of puns and plays on words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Oh I'm in favour of Salah but not the torrent of puns and plays on words!

Who doesn't like a nice Chicken Tikka Moh Salah?

I'll get me coat.

Sky sources: West Ham are trying to sign Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/FootballOranje_/status/876362444595240960

Everton spending the Lukaku money despite not selling him......yet.

They can come back when they have a serious offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

https://twitter.com/FootballOranje_/status/876362444595240960

Everton spending the Lukaku money despite not selling him......yet.

Spending the Barkley money as well.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Dani Alves has been a fantastic player for a long time and he has just had another great season. He is up there in the argument, along with his compatriot Cafu, for greatest right back of all time.

Having said that I'm not so sure it's a good signing. The Premier league is different and you see players like him getting caught out of position all too often and if Alves has lost any pace it will happen to him. He is a very similar type of player to Pablo Zabaleta who has lost a bit of pace and really can't be as involved in an attacking sense anymore like he was in his prime.

Exactly. It'd be like a reverse Evra lol. An ageing Evra went from struggling to survive a match in the PL to a League and Cup winner in his two years at Juve. Being a great fullback in Italy is totally different to a good fullback in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Maicon is another. Dani Alves is a special player though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

inforfun wrote: »
    They can come back when they have a serious offer.

How good is he infor? Read somewhere he was the best player in Holland last season. What you think?

Depends on which newspaper or football magazine but he won Player of the Year with most of them.
    21 goals, 10 assists and very important for the first title since 1999.
    Would hate to see him go, certainly for that little bit of money (if you see what other players go for)
    Never really noticed him before he signed last season so you go for the usual youtube clips.
    There is a clip around of all goals he scored for Kopenhagen and the first thing i noticed his goals there were almost all his teams first goal. The goals that count so to say.
    Never pay too much attention to the rest of those clips because if you try hard enough, you could make a clip of my goals and sell me for €10m. But guys that score the important goals with such a consistency are hard to find.
    It wasnt that obvious for Feyenoord this year but they scored a lot more than Kopenhagen did when he was there.

As usual with Scandinavians, he is a big lad but he has a very good technique. Not the kind of player that wants to show off without anything coming from it. At times i thought he was just on another level than some of his team mates with going in to spaces and creating space for others. Kuyt and Toornstra scored a lot because of his play.

That said... before he even kicked a ball he mentioned he wouldnt mind at all to finish his contract at Feyenoord. He signed for 5 years last year.
    But well.... when a stupid offer comes in..... but 20 million is too low.

Feyenoord has an interest in 3 players in the eredivisie but those clubs are asking stupid prices. Now Feyenoord has CL football they think they can bleed them dry.

• Surely paves the way for lukaku to move now

https://twitter.com/PayetForward/status/876352580225576960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

pjohnson wrote: »
    Exactly. It'd be like a reverse Evra lol. An ageing Evra went from struggling to survive a match in the PL to a League and Cup winner in his two years at Juve. Being a great fullback in Italy is totally different to a good fullback in England.

Champions league final aside, Juve and Alves were phenomenal defensively in Europe against elite teams, whereas most English sides struggled. I'm sure he'll be fine.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/876583387808641025

"Barcelona to trigger buy back on Gerard Deulofeu. Everton to receive £10.5m"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Barca and Real are some operators when it comes to buy back clauses!!

The only remarkable thing about Deulofeu is that he is still playing U21 tournaments while i have the idea he is already that long "famous" he should be close to retirement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Champions league final aside, Juve and Alves were phenomenal defensively in Europe against elite teams, whereas most English sides struggled. I'm sure he'll be fine.

So did Patrice in his Juve years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Tidy player and will probably rip it up in Spain when he gets the chance but he was too much of a passenger for most of the game for a team like Everton. That said, he has always claimed to be a centre attacking midfielder but never had an opportunity to show that under Martinez or koeman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Burial. wrote: »
    Maicon is another. Dani Alves is a special player though.

Wiki tells me (I was double checking I hadn't imagined his Man City spell) that he has a brother called Marlon Brando.

There you go. Happy Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

According to Dani Alves wiki page (edited an hour ago) he plays for Rangers.

Fair play to him. :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dani_Alves

Delofeu....not Dembele. God love us, Bartomeu and his merry men have quite the sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Delofeu....not Dembele. God love us, Bartomeu and his merry men have quite the sense of humour.

It'll cost about €70 to €80m less. If Dembele was signed who'd be dropped?
    I imagine a significant amount of transfer funds this summer will be going to a new contract with Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

he wont get game time at barca,no chance,he will be bought back and sold on again for 20 mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

he wont get game time at barca,no chance,he will be bought back and sold on again for 20 mil

They're not allowed to sell him again for 12 months, by which time he'd be worth little if he's been sat on his arse most of the season (which he will be)

I've seen lots of reports stating that Barca want to take him back but none saying that Del is willing to sign. He'd be foolish if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

SSN: Chelsea join Liverpool and Man City in race to sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Am I missing something with Oxlade-Chamberlain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    SSN: Chelsea join Liverpool and Man City in race to sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Whe he first joined Arsenal he looked like he could go on to be a very good player, never really pushed on though, IMO. I think theres potential there but I wouldnt be paying the money Arsenal would be looking for which would I assume be about 35-40m given hes relatively young, English and has decent big game experience but that sort of money for a guy who makes most of his appearances from the bench would be a bit of a strange transfer for Arsenals rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Deulofeu will probably go back out on loan. Just like that other former Barcelona superstar, Bojan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

He looks like the new James Milner to me.

ERG89 wrote: »
    It'll cost about €70 to €80m less. If Dembele was signed who'd be dropped?
    I imagine a significant amount of transfer funds this summer will be going to a new contract with Messi.

If the board were more intelligent in their recruitment it wouldn't. Doing it in the right way, there's no way itd be 90 million.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I see Lewandowski's agent I see mouthing off that the player didn't feel "supported" when he was pushing for the top scorer award in the final game of the season. Reads like he is going to start pushing for a move. Real Madrid touted as the probable destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Lord TSC wrote:
    I see Lewandowski's agent I see mouthing off that the player didn't feel "supported" when he was pushing for the top scorer award in the final game of the season. Reads like he is going to start pushing for a move. Real Madrid touted as the probable destination.

Swap with Ronaldo would be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

I can only guess City are trying to boost their English player numbers just like Delph a few seasons back.

Was always a fan of the Ox, though despite being at Arsenal, working under the same coach for years, it's unbelievable that they haven't found his best position yet. He would certainly benefit from a change of scenery and the input of a different coach. The quality of clubs chasing him speaks volumes about his talent and potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

He looks like the new James Milner to me.

Milner is consistent that's his thing. Ox is anything but. He played best this season as a right wing back & then said he wanted to be played as a centre midfielder. I can't see him doing a job there for any of the club's mentioned if he can't do it at Arsenal.
    If the board were more intelligent in their recruitment it wouldn't. Doing it in the right way, there's no way itd be 90 million.

Dortmund will want big money for Dembele. No way he goes cheap in the current market. After Aubameyang goes he is their biggest player since Reus is always injured, even more than Weigl or Pulisic imo. Barca badly need a right back & likely another midfielder since Andre Gomes has been so poor.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Milner is consistent that's his thing. Ox is anything but. He played best this season as a right wing back & then said he wanted to be played as a centre midfielder. I can't see him doing a job there for any of the club's mentioned if he can't do it at Arsenal.

Dortmund will want big money for Dembele. No way he goes cheap in the current market. After Aubameyang goes he is their biggest player since Reus is always injured, even more than Weigl or Pulisic imo. Barca badly need a right back & likely another midfielder since Andre Gomes has been so poor.

Barca should have pushed harder to sign him last summer. Anyway what I'm getting at is that this is Barcelona, who, when managed correctly (board, not head coach) should always be able to attract these big players at a lesser price than their biggest rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Man City preparing a bid for Aubameyang. SSN.

RobertKK wrote: »

Fair reflection of Aguero's season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pep meeting with the City board.

want-that-one.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Apparently he's just backup if they don't get Sanchez

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Simon Stone at the BBC has shut down the City/Auba stories, saying there's nothing in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Simon Stone at the BBC has shut down the City/Auba stories, saying there's nothing in them.

I'd bet it's his agent looking for a payday now that PSG have moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice's Jean Michael Seri is seemingly very close to a move to Roma. He was one of the best players in Ligue 1 last season. Very good in possession and he made Nice tick at the heart of midfield. Quite a similar player to Verratti. I thought PSG might go for him if Verratti left for Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nice's Jean Michael Seri is seemingly very close to a move to Roma. He was one of the best players in Ligue 1 last season. Very good in possession and he made Nice tick at the heart of midfield. Quite a similar player to Verratti. I thought PSG might go for him if Verratti left for Barca.
    Roma spending the Salah money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I can barely think of seeing Seri having a poor game anytime I saw him last year. I'd love to see how he does in a tougher league.

Roma spending the Salah money?

They are in for Karsdorp as well.
    Problem for them is that it isnt 2011 anymore and Feyenoord is healthy club now and no one is going for cheap anymore and so the asking price is €20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Some movement in Germany.

Bayern have agreed a fee of 40 mil. with Juventus for Douglas Costa. Considering they paid only 30 mil for him and generally was mostly underwhelming not a bad deal for Bayern.

Cologne have apparently agreed with Tianjin Quanjian a 35 mil Euro fee for Modeste, who is expected to be paid around 10 mil a year in China. That's a lot of money for a player that no European Club was in for.

https://twitter.com/JPercyTelegraph/status/877090360383737856

West Brom in talks to sign Jay Rodriguez.

Barcelona reported to be in contact with Spurs for Kyle Walker.

https://twitter.com/romeoagresti/status/877105129010466816

"Dani Alves has agreed a 2 yr contract with Man City".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Cervantes2

Barcelona reported to be in contact with Spurs for Kyle Walker.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement