Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

JT been confirmed to Villa be their owner via Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

GavRedKing wrote: »

I hope villa draw Chelsea in both cups this season

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I hope villa draw Chelsea in both cups this season

So do I, we'd be certain of a win in both cases. :o :P

I do feel that at some stage in the near future, JT will be player/manager at Villa, just getting a weird feeling about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

He actually wrote, "welcome JT to Birmingham city.... Aston Villa" :pac:

Obviously because Villa are based in Birmingham but there is a few people getting up in arms about it on Twitter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

More than good enough for the Championship. That's a solid signing for Villa, should give the support a boost.

• Advertisement

He was one of our fittest players, always looks after himself so the physical demands shouldnt be an issue at all, I think he'll do well for Villa and he must fancy the challenge if hes turned down PL clubs and I'm assuming offers from abroad but I wouldnt be expecting miracles either.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

Good signing for Villa, will keep the defence organised at the back and is perfect for the championship. As a Leeds fan I would have been happy to see him join us, maybe less so the wages though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

He should be a good signing, but will extend the misery of a lot of Villa fans going by twitter by being under the management of Bruce :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lacazette is a great signing imo. A very classy operator who should fit in very well to the Arsenal style of play. He was especially excellent in the second half of the season, producing strong displays domestically and in the Europa League.

Also had for me the most badass celebration of a goal I've seen this year following his screamer against Roma. Search it out if you haven't seen it. Eyes of a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gavlor wrote:
    Nice business, 5.25m release clause activated

That is a massive bargain. I think he is going to be a great one based on what I seen of him last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gavlor wrote: »
    A worn tyre would be good value at that price in comparison the the £4.5 million that Sunderland are reportedly paying for Aidan McGeady

McGeady was very good for Preston last season. Can still be a very decent player at that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Terence Kongolo from Feyenoord to AS Monaco for €15 million.
    5 year deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

McGeady was very good for Preston last season. Can still be a very decent player at that level.

Preston are just about his level alright. Still not worth anything near 4.5 million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Michael Keane to Everton done for £24m. Possibly £30m with add ons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

SlickRic wrote: »
    Michael Keane to Everton done for £24m. Possibly £30m with add ons.

https://twitter.com/BurnleyOfficial/status/881946928044544000

Burnley are saying that the deal could 'net' them £30m. So either Utd don't have a 25% sell on clause, or the fee is closer to £40m after add ons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Massive profit for Burnley - they got him for 2 million wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

How many signings is that for Everton now?

Sandro
    Klaasen
    Keane
    Pickford

Any more in the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

How many signings is that for Everton now?

Sandro Klaasen Keane Pickford

Any more in the works?

Signed some forward from Belgium for 7m and loaned him to Anderlecht then. Supposed to be after Siggy as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Some really good business by Everton so far I think. I'm not really sure if they can push into the top 6 but they are building nicely.

If they can keep lukaku and barkley theyll be serious contenders for top 6

Lukaku more so. Barkley has really disappointed me. Looked like a potential world beater but he's not grown as much as I'd hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ye I don't think Everton would miss Barkley at all. For the position he plays he isn't involved in enough goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If he leaves Everton it'll be to go to a team lower in the table.

Unless he goes on a free or something and Arsenal decide to take a punt, or City need to keep their English players quota up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if we keep lukaku I would be hoping for CL spot - top6 is a minimum this season regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

thebaz wrote: »
    if we keep lukaku I would be hoping for CL spot - top6 is a minimum this season regardless.

I don't think it should be, if you can finish best of the rest with that young squad and have a crack at a cup it would be a great season. I don't think there is enough there yet to break top 6. Williams and Keane could be a great pairing for you guys

duffman13 wrote: »
    I don't think it should be, if you can finish best of the rest with that young squad and have a crack at a cup it would be a great season. I don't think there is enough there yet to break top 6. Williams and Keane could be a great pairing for you guys

well i disagrees, after many years I think we have a better squad than Arsenal , on par with liverpool and man utd - city, chelsea and possibly spurs have better squads - things never go as planned - so top 4 , with the rumours around , and a good manager are well possible - sorry to break the big boys party but everton are back after 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

For the money Everton are spending and the fact they are supposedly after sigurdsson I think they are already spending the money they will receive for lukaku. And spending it well imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

well i disagrees, after many years I think we have a better squad than Arsenal , on par with liverpool and man utd - city, chelsea and possibly spurs have better squads - things never go as planned - so top 4 , with the rumours around , and a good manager are well possible - sorry to break the big boys party but everton are back after 20 years.

Possibly Spurs!?

klose wrote: »
    For the money Everton are spending and the fact they are supposedly after sigurdsson I think they are already spending the money they will receive for lukaku. And spending it well imo.

probably , but for the first time in more than 20 years we have a rich owner - we are actually buying players whilst planning for new stadium, unlike say arsenal.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Possibly Spurs!?

yeah possibly - with spurs at wembley , I'd certainly expect everton to be there or there abouts- again apologies for breaking big boys party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

You might even win a merseyside derby this season lol

In all fairness everton has made some shrewd signings this window. Klassie the most interesting for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

You don't have a better squad than Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd, or Spurs, you just don't.
    probably , but for the first time in more than 20 years we have a rich owner - we are actually buying players whilst planning for new stadium, unlike say arsenal.

Arsenal will outspend Everton this window simply because they can, and i have a feeling Everton are spending the Lukaku money early, a wise choice i admit.
    yeah possibly - with spurs at wembley , I'd certainly expect everton to be there or there abouts- again apologies for breaking big boys party.

The party did'nt even start yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Why are Chelsea after Sandro from Juventus for Lb?....does Conte not rate Alonso?

• Advertisement

You don't have a better squad than Arsenal, Liverpool, Utd, or Spurs, you just don't.

Arsenal will outspend Everton this window simply because they can, and i have a feeling Everton are spending the Lukaku money early, a wise choice i admit.

The party did'nt even start yet!

the only player I really rate at Arsenal , want away, they have been under-achieving for years - big Wegner fan but he should have gone this year - Arsenal have to still replace Viera - 10 years later - anyway lets see what happens - can't wait for season - first time in a long time.

Erm no.

Every club that finished above you last season has a much better squad. I'm really impressed with the summer signings so far but it's early days and the clubs above will make good signings too.

Barring a catastrophic season United, city and Chelsea will all finish above you. Spurs seem to be holding their squad together and if they do they will too. Arsenal are the one that's at risk, but even they have better players right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Better squad than Arsenal and on a par with Liverpool and Man Utd?? I'm assuming this is a piss take? Probably one of the most deluded posts I e ever seen on boards and that's saying something. I actually like Everton as a club, but I'll assume their fan base don't think the way you do. Everton will finish 7th at best next season. No way will they break the top 6.

Better squad than Arsenal and on a par with Liverpool and Man Utd?? I'm assuming this is a piss take? Probably one of the most deluded posts I e ever seen on boards and that's saying something. I actually like Everton as a club, but I'll assume their fan base don't think the way you do. Everton will finish 7th at best next season. No way will they break the top 6.

I think most liverpool fans will agree that they haven't a great squad at the moment hence the nobodies on their bench for most of last season.

All the teams that finished above Everton last season (and every season!) have some better superstar individuals but not necessarily a better squad. Everton have upgraded on Kone, cleverly, barry etc and have some very good young players coming thru from the league winning u23 side but another striker or two will be equites if Rom heads to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

We don't have a better squad than any of the top 6 but doesn't mean you can't finish in the top 6. Leicester didn't have a better squad than the top 6 two years ago. Making progress and we should be stronger than last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

If everton keep lukaku they will push hard for 4th nxt season I'm,hunger is a huge factor, and they would all be desperate to put the club back in the mix, that drive is far better than complacency of a superior team. If rom goes I can't see a top 4 challenge.

Why are Chelsea after Sandro from Juventus for Lb?....does Conte not rate Alonso?

Same reason we bought Cole when we had Bridge, hes an upgrade.

well i disagrees, after many years I think we have a better squad than Arsenal

No, Arsenal have at least 2 world class talents in their squad, thats before you objectively look at Mustafi and Kos as being top quality too and theyve signed a very good FB.
    on par with liverpool and man utd
    Again, no, I'd say ye're closer to Pool than ye are to Utd but thats subjective.
    city, chelsea and possibly spurs have better squads - things never go as planned - so top 4 , with the rumours around , and a good manager are well possible - sorry to break the big boys party but everton are back after 20 years.

Everyone of those mentioned have better squads, even with Evertons spending and theyre all going to spend more as the summer goes on. I think Everton will have a crack at top 6 and they'll be much closer than last year but if they get into the EL and they probably should, its going to be a tough slog.

I certainly wouldnt be worrying about Everton crashing the "party" just yet but as you said, anything is possible and time will tell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cant see Everton getting anywhere near top 4 even if they keep Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Outside of Lukaku I cant think of a single current squad member or new signing that would get into any of the Top 6 sides.

rob316 wrote: »
    Outside of Lukaku I cant think of a single current squad member or new signing that would get into any of the Top 6 sides.

Pickford & Keane would stroll into a couple of the teams above Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gavlor wrote: »
    Pickford & Keane would stroll into a couple of the teams above Everton.

Like who? I don't think Pickford would start for any of them? Keane also had to see him starting but would be good back up.

If that was so do you not think that some of those teams might have made a bid?

United had first refusal on Keane as far as I'm aware? Why didn't they sign him? I'd expect him to push on and improve again next year though.

Pickford has had one good season and had to make a lot of saves with Sunderland last season. How will that translate to a team which does not concede as many attempts? Will Pickford concentration levels be up to it? He does look a good keeper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Idrissa Gueye would get in nearly every team bar Chelsea and Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lukker- wrote: »
    Idrissa Gueye would get in nearly every team bar Chelsea and Spurs

He wouldn't start for Liverpool. Henderson, Gini and Lalana were excellent, then two got injured and switched to Can, Gini and Couthino.

I doubt he'd start for United ahead of Herrera and Pogba. Or ahead of Cities many choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The notion of the Everton squad being better than the Spurs squad shouldn't even get a mention. It's laughable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement