Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Leicester have reached an agreement to sign Sevillas captain, Vicente Iborra.

14m Euro apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CSF wrote: »
    The notion of the Everton squad being better than the Spurs squad shouldn't even get a mention. It's laughable.

I think he said the Chelsea and Spurs squads were better but Everton had a better squad than the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I doubt he'd start for United ahead of Herrera and Pogba. Or ahead of Cities many choices.

He'd play with Pogba and Herrera in the Carrick role imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gavlor wrote: »
    Pickford & Keane would stroll into a couple of the teams above Everton.

Two totally unproven players at this level. They do look good though

MrMac84 wrote: »
    He'd play with Pogba and Herrera in the Carrick role imo

Of course he'd start ahead of Carrick, he wasn't even a starter last year after Christmas. Now United are strongly linked to Matic so he wouldn't start ahead of him either.

I do like him as a player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He wouldn't start for Liverpool. Henderson, Gini and Lalana were excellent, then two got injured and switched to Can, Gini and Couthino.

I doubt he'd start for United ahead of Herrera and Pogba. Or ahead of Cities many choices.

Personally I thought whatever CM pairing Liverpool played with in the 4-2-3-1 looked weak or unbalanced. Henderson is limited as a footballer, Gini is good going forward, but doesn't bring a whole lot further back, has a decent passing range though. He wouldn't start in front of Lalana but they are not really fighting for the same position. Liverpool were relying on Lucas a bit last season as a DM, he's head and shoulders above him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Pickford & Keane would stroll into a couple of the teams above Everton.

Pickford is by no means a sure thing. He looked great in his first proper season, but he was at an extremely poor team. Time will tell on him, and he may be the next big thing but Im not sold yet. This season at Everton will shed more light on him. Everton is perfect for him at the minute as he will get a chance to show what hes made of.

I dont know what teams Pickford would stroll into about Everton?

Keane certainly looked good though and again Everton is the perfect place for him too. Not to say he wouldnt do well at a top 4 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Of course he'd start ahead of Carrick, he wasn't even a starter last year after Christmas. Now United are strongly linked to Matic so he wouldn't start ahead of him either.

I do like him as a player though.

We weren't talking about possible signings though, at this moment Gueye would start in the United team. He'd make that midfield a whole lot better too.

thebaz wrote: »
    the only player I really rate at Arsenal , want away, they have been under-achieving for years - big Wegner fan but he should have gone this year - Arsenal have to still replace Viera - 10 years later - anyway lets see what happens - can't wait for season - first time in a long time.
    So you only rate one player at Arsenal yet they've been underachieving for years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Better squad than Arsenal and on a par with Liverpool and Man Utd?? I'm assuming this is a piss take? Probably one of the most deluded posts I e ever seen on boards and that's saying something. I actually like Everton as a club, but I'll assume their fan base don't think the way you do. Everton will finish 7th at best next season. No way will they break the top 6.

touched a nerve or something - we strolled to 7th last season, with a younger squad - we have strengthen well this summer - where were spurs 2 years ago , plus ther playing at wembly this season , arsenal seam to be going nowhere recently under wegner - so yeah 4th is achievable , as I said if we keep lukaku if you read my ****ing post.

So you only rate one player at Arsenal yet they've been underachieving for years?

ok , I wonder do arsenal fans see themselves as title contenders this season ?

touched a nerve or something - we strolled to 7th last season, with a younger squad - we have strengthen well this summer - where were spurs 2 years ago , plus ther playing at wembly this season , arsenal seam to be going nowhere recently under wegner - so yeah 4th is achievable , as I said if we keep lukaku if you read my ****ing post.

Everton were 15 points behind 4th last season. I doubt United will drop as many points next season and Arsenal will be thereabouts.

I can't see Everton being anywhere near 4th, especially if the big man leaves.

If they keep Sanchez and other out of contract soon players, and strenghten.... why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Delighted Milan have secured the signing of best set piece taker in world football Çalhanoğlu. Have done some cracking business this summer and none better than getting Donnarumma to sign a new contract. Exciting times are back.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    If they keep Sanchez and other out of contract soon players, and strenghten.... why not?

I actually like arsenal and wegner , but they are missing a tough spine defensively to win dirty , like say chelsea did last year at times. If they fix that , yes , otherwise the arsenal soft centre will go on and on

• Advertisement

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Delighted Milan have secured the signing of best set piece taker in world football Çalhanoğlu. Have done some cracking business this summer and none better than getting Donnarumma to sign a new contract. Exciting times are back.

Theyve also got Ricardo Rodriguez whos got a pretty good left leg.

I wouldnt be giving away set pieces to Milan anyway. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Lukker- wrote: »
    We weren't talking about possible signings though, at this moment Gueye would start in the United team. He'd make that midfield a whole lot better too.

He wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I did read your post and even if you keep Lukaku that Everton squad isn't stronger than Arsenals. Like I said in my post I like Everton as a club, but they are 7th strongest squad at best in the league. Maybe they could break into the top 6 next season, as anything can happen in football. Top 4 though no chance.

Everton are probably the most interesting project in the leageu at the moment, like Spurs were 5 years ago or so.

Theyve got an owner willing to spend money, an improving, young squad and a manager that could push them on and that could all be played out under the construction of a new stadium build.

If Everton can continue on an upward trajectory they could break the top 6 but I think the top 4, barring a seriously strong and consistent season, is probably too much for them, theyed need 3 of the current top 6 to underperform and on the basis of probability, I just cant see that happening in the next year or two.

Good time to be an Everton fan though.

Not while Wenger is anywhere near the club, no.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Everton are probably the most interesting project in the leageu at the moment, like Spurs were 5 years ago or so.

Theyve got an owner willing to spend money, an improving, young squad and a manager that could push them on and that could all be played out under the construction of a new stadium build.

If Everton can continue on an upward trajectory they could break the top 6 but I think the top 4, barring a seriously strong and consistent season, is probably too much for them, theyed need 3 of the current top 6 to underperform and on the basis of probability, I just cant see that happening in the next year or two.

Good time to be an Everton fan though.

also we have a top notch academy , and Steve Walsh from leicester looks after our transfers - its been a long time since everton have been this competitive , its been along time since i've looked forward to a new season so much.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He wouldn't.

His defensive stats were phenomenal last season, and he's really assured on the ball, had a better season than Kante.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

His defensive stats were phenomenal last season, and he's really assured on the ball, had a better season than Kante.

We have Herrera who did great job defensively and also added to the attack.

Not doubting that he had a good season, but he wouldnt be starting ahead of Herrera. If i had to choose, Id rather Ander.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Not doubting that he had a good season, but he wouldnt be starting ahead of Herrera. If i had to choose, Id rather Ander.

Yeah I don't blame you. People often find it difficult to access players abilities when they're playing for an inferior sides and can easily overrate those who play in good sides. He'd be an upgrade for sure though, his numbers are incredible and were in France too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Like who? I don't think Pickford would start for any of them? Keane also had to see him starting but would be good back up.

If that was so do you not think that some of those teams might have made a bid?

United had first refusal on Keane as far as I'm aware? Why didn't they sign him? I'd expect him to push on and improve again next year though.

Pickford has had one good season and had to make a lot of saves with Sunderland last season. How will that translate to a team which does not concede as many attempts? Will Pickford concentration levels be up to it? He does look a good keeper though.

Both would start for liverpool (current liverpool squad), Keane would have also a good shout at arsenal and perhaps city and is bravo that much better than Pickford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just looked at their signings now:

André Silva, Hakan Calhanoglu, Mateo Musacchio, Ricardo Rodríguez, Franck Kessié, and, erm, Fabio Borini? That last one's a bit of an outlier to say the least.

Also have Conti coming from Atlanta by all accounts and Donnarumma signing a contract extension today despite the best efforts of that creep Raiola.

Very good young squad there next season by the looks of it, don't think they'll trouble Juve for lo scudetto but should be in the running for a CL spot.

Everton were 15 points behind 4th last season. I doubt United will drop as many points next season and Arsenal will be thereabouts.

I can't see Everton being anywhere near 4th, especially if the big man leaves.

I'd have to agree with you here although I think Everton's dependency on lukaku is over exaggerated. Without his goals, they would have still finished 7th last season and would have been 8 points worse off and that's not allowing for his hypothetical replacement scoring a single goal. Not exactly a one man team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'd have to agree with you here although I think Everton's dependency on lukaku is over exaggerated. Without his goals, they would have still finished 7th last season and would have been 8 points worse off and that's not allowing for his hypothetical replacement scoring a single goal. Not exactly a one man team.

I always lol at the idea of taking a players goals out of a team. The stupid assumption as you point out seems to be that the team will have played with ten men and no one would come in and contribute at all.

Jayop wrote: »
    I always lol at the idea of taking a players goals out of a team. The stupid assumption as you point out seems to be that the team will have played with ten men and no one would come in and contribute at all.

Ah yeah, it's all hypothetical but in this instance it highlights that Everton aren't overly dependant on lukaku. That said, I hope to f&ck he stays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Do people not think coleman would start for liverpool, city, chelsea??

I think he probably would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

tastyt wrote: »

Not right now.

Poor taste jokes aside, I really rate Coleman. Top class player and one of the best right backs in the league. I think he'd start ahead of Valencia, but only just and not enough to justify any transfer. I was hoping for years United would buy him to give us an irish element again but that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

It's nonsense talking about breaking into the top 6 as if it's there is one from the start. Last season 2 clubs finished in the top 6 who weren't in it the season before. Over the last 6 years, 10 different clubs have finished in the top 6 - including Everton twice. It's not like it's unchartered territory. You can say so-and-so won't drop as many points next season - but somebody has to and for all the "squad strengtheneing" we hear about year after year from every club, the PL seems to be getting worse and worse. Some people seem to think that a £30 Million player today is better than a £10 Million player 5 years ago or a £5 Million player 5 years before that when in fact they're a similar level (or perpahs worse)

The biggest problem for Everton this season won't be whether Lukaku stays or goes, if he goes, he will be replaced by somebody at a similar level to where he was when he arrived at Everton and the extra creativity from current and future new signings should more than make up for the difference. The biggest problem will be the PL games on weekends following Europa League. The only time Man Utd looked on form all season was when the EL was off for 2 and a half months - there was a very noticable upturn in results over that period. Southampton too were having a pretty terrible season until they got knocked out of it. You'll see that with the EL teams every season.

On another note, there ain't nobody gonna tell me Idrissa Gueye wouldn't get into any of the top 6 teams - even his performances for an extremely poor Villa side were unreal

Cd7VnaPW0AAg7SE.jpg

kante-gueye-gfx_gx9u8l1zy6101gjbxwvdyqyb8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

also we have a top notch academy , and Steve Walsh from leicester looks after our transfers - its been a long time since everton have been this competitive , its been along time since i've looked forward to a new season so much.

You must be forgetting your first 6 games :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No, definitely not

Both would start for liverpool (current liverpool squad), Keane would have also a good shout at arsenal and perhaps city and is bravo that much better than Pickford?

I don't think they would. Ming was very good after taking the spot back from Karius. Lovern is also a very good defender but can just switch off at the wrong moment, so Keane could push for his spot.

For me Liverpool's two best CB are Matip and Sakho. Keane wouldn't take either of their places but Klopp has fallen out with him so he probably won't play for Liverpool again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

tastyt wrote: »

Best right back in the premier league last season imo.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

You have to wonder what he'll be like coming back from that leg break though.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

He could be a shadow of his former self though after his horrific injury though. I hope he isnt though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Ah yeah, it's all hypothetical but in this instance it highlights that Everton aren't overly dependant on lukaku. That said, I hope to f&ck he stays!

Lukaku scored 25 goals for Everton last season. When was the last time an Everton player scored those numbers? Leineker in the 80's maybe. Lukaku has been Evertons top scorer for the last three seasons.

I'm not saying Everton are a one man team but good luck to them if they find a replacement for those goals.

I'd also love to see the logic of how Everton would only be 8 points worse off without his goals? You surely aren't just taking the goals he scored away from the games Everton won? I wouldn't count that as any sort of proof that he isn't relied on.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Lukaku scored 25 goals for Everton last season. When was the last time an Everton player scored those numbers? Leineker in the 80's maybe. Lukaku has been Evertons top scorer for the last three seasons.

I'm not saying Everton are a one man team but good luck to them if they find a replacement for those goals.

I'd also love to see the logic of how Everton would only be 8 points worse off without his goals? You surely aren't just taking the goals he scored away from the games Everton won? I wouldn't count that as any sort of proof that he isn't relied on.

Get a dictionary and look up the term hypothetical.

Here's an article from the echo around the same point as I made, as I said earlier, I hope he stays because he's Everton's best player but they aren't totally dependant on him to the extent that slot of people think.

Get a dictionary and look up the term hypothetical.

Here's an article from the echo around the same point as I made, as I said earlier, I hope he stays because he's Everton's best player but they aren't totally dependant on him to the extent that slot of people think.

I know what hypothetical is, I just wanted to see your logic in it....not having a go or anything. Personally, I think he offers a lot more than just goals, he'd be a huge loss to any side at the moment. He has played nearly every single game in the last 3 years so its hard to see how the current Everton squad would do without him. Everton certainly building a decent squad though. Getting him to stay for another season could be huge for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Reading more on the Donnarumma - Milan thing and Raiola is coming off worse and worse as this drags on.

Player wants to sign new contract, agent trying to make money off of him is trying to push him out of the club. Father and Older brother of teenage player apparently very angry about how the agent handled the whole situation and the player is going to sign the contract with or without the agent's approval.

Hopefully they decide to sake this parasite and his other clients do the same, or this FIFA investigation ends up with him being banned for life.

When you look at Lukaku's 25 goals, you'll see that about half of them came in games where the game was already over. In this THEORETICAL discussion, I make it that his goals accounted for 11 of Everton's 61 points.

a hat-trick in a 3-0 win against Sunderland
    the third in 3-1 win at home to Boro
    the goal in 1-1 draw against Palace
    the goal in 1-1 draw against Man City
    the first in 2-0 win against West Ham
    both in 3-2 defeat at Watford
    a late second in 2-0 win away to Leicester
    a late third in 3-0 win against Southampton
    the first in 4-0 win against Man City
    the first, third, fourth and fifth in 6-3 win against Bournmouth
    a late second in 2-0 win against Sunderland
    one in the 3-2 defeat at Spurs
    a late third in the 3-0 win against WBA
    twice in injury time in the 4-0 win against Hull
    the second and 4th in 4-2 win against Leicester
    the third in a 3-1 win against Burnley
    the consolation in a 3-1 defeat at Arsenal

To your point that he brings more than goals, I would strongly argue that the opposite is the case. He's literally awful with his back to goal and can't trap a ball to save his life never mind bring others into play.

As for replacing him. He's not gone yet and it's not a foregone conclusion that he will be. But even if he is, it's not about how many goals the top scorer gets, it's about how many goals the team gets. That was 62 in the PL last season. If Lukaku goes and Everton score 62 or more again, Lukaku is replaced. Considering if it hadn't been for the leg break, the second highest scorer would probably have been Coleman, there's plenty of scope there for new signings and last seasons players to make it up.

Thanks for that Laois_Man......He has a nice few assists aswell I think? He contributed directly to approx half of Everton's goals last season? it is hard to quantify alright, games wont play out the same way obviously etc but it is an interesting post.

• Advertisement

Reading more on the Donnarumma - Milan thing and Raiola is coming off worse and worse as this drags on.

Player wants to sign new contract, agent trying to make money off of him is trying to push him out of the club. Father and Older brother of teenage player apparently very angry about how the agent handled the whole situation and the player is going to sign the contract with or without the agent's approval.

Hopefully they decide to sake this parasite and his other clients do the same, or this FIFA investigation ends up with him being banned for life.

If thats the case the player should come out and say he wants to stay at the club.

Its getting to the stage now where the agents have as much power as the players and can bend clubs over a barrel for their cut.

I've no doubt that Raiola was whoring Donnarumma out to some of Europes biggest clubs too this summer.

Looking at the big named players on his books, Lukaku is looking the most likely to move this summer so once hes back from holidays, I expect to see either Lukaku moving for insane money and Raiola getting his cut or Lukaku staying and Raiola getting his cut. Its all about Luakaku for Raiola, if Donnarumma is staying this year.

Tammy Abraham signed a 5 year extension with Chelsea and has been loaned out to Swansea for the year.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/07/new-contract-and-loan-for-abraham.html

Thanks for that Laois_Man......He has a nice few assists aswell I think? He contributed directly to approx half of Everton's goals last season? it is hard to quantify alright, games wont play out the same way obviously etc but it is an interesting post.

For the record, 6 assists

Various outlets reporting Rooney to Everton by the weekend.

Not sure how I feel about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Various outlets reporting Rooney to Everton by the weekend.

Not sure how I feel about that

I for one feel fantastic about it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement