Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

For all the talk of ages, potential and declines, Rooney is significantly better than Ross Barkley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Jasus everton are desperate taking him back, rooney is finished and has been for years.

Wages could be used on attracting better players. Only thing i can think is that its a pr stunt from the club and they think they will make a fortune in jersey sales or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Pepe to Besiktas on a free. With his carry on the home fans are instantly going to adore him while rival fans will want him dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Not a player but a commentator transfer, listening to Alan Green scowling about referees in between thanking the US Defence Forces for their service on Fox Sports Atlanta is football gone mad for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

AdamD wrote: »
    For all the talk of ages, potential and declines, Rooney is significantly better than Ross Barkley.

Agreed. I'm hoping a move can spark a bit of life/weight watchers back into him

• ricero wrote: »
    Jasus everton are desperate taking him back, rooney is finished and has been for years.

Wages could be used on attracting better players. Only thing i can think is that its a pr stunt from the club and they think they will make a fortune in jersey sales or something

Can be still useful for Everton IMO and is still definitely good for club marketing
    His wages are a bit mad however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can be still useful for Everton IMO and is still definitely good for club marketing
    His wages are a bit mad however

Yes, probably a good deal for both clubs

Will give Everton the experience etc and for United just not having the Rooney question will be a good thing.

Have to think a striker or two are incoming though looks inevitable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

In a year or two i'd wonder about his wages as I doubt he will be on a short deal but Everton are showing ambition. Lukaku will be 100% gone if this signing goes through but id wager Everton fans are happier than they expected by how the club are going about building a new team for when he's gone.

I wouldn't be shocked if Barkley was let go too if they sign anyone else this summer but honestly who that are better than Everton will spend that much on him. He might have to actually drop down the table to a West Ham maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wouldn't be shocked if Barkley was let go too if they sign anyone else this summer but honestly who that are better than Everton will spend that much on him.

It's confusing to me that Everton would take on Rooney with a big wage then let Barkley go cheap or on a free. He's inconsistent but so are Everton anyway & would probable get a large fee eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

ERG89 wrote: »
    It's confusing to me that Everton would take on Rooney with a big wage then let Barkley go cheap or on a free. He's inconsistent but so are Everton anyway & would probable get a large fee eventually.

Barkley go cheap or free? They're looking for 50m.

• Advertisement

It's more a case of Barkley doesn't want to sign a new contract so Everton are willing to sell but not cheap. Maybe these signings will convince him to sign, maybe it wont alter how much they will offer him though.

• Rumors this morning that Arsenal are in for Riyad Mahrez
    Would be a good age to get him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Huddersfield going about their business early on.

Ince, Mooy, Mounie, Depoitre and a few loanees. Hopefully they make more of a go at it than Boro did last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rumors this morning that Arsenal are in for Riyad Mahrez
    Would be a good age to get him

Depending on the price, it could be a good deal.

It also depends if hes there to supplement Ozil and Sanchez and not to replace either.

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    Depending on the price, it could be a good deal.

It also depends if hes there to supplement Ozil and Sanchez and not to replace either.

I'd say they are safe for another year. Still find it mad that Arsenal as a business continue to struggle in sorting out existing player contracts in good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I'd say they are safe for another year. Still find it mad that Arsenal as a business continue to struggle in sorting out existing player contracts in good time.

Id say Sanchez is gone. Id be surprised if he stayed, but if he did it would be huge for Arsenal

Ozil, I can see staying. Who would want him? PSG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Also has anyone who was out of contract next year re-signed yet?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Also has anyone who was out of contract next year re-signed yet?

Not that we know of yet.

Players are back this week so transfers and extensions will start moving along a bit quicker now you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Huddersfield not messing about, 6 players in already. Steve Mounie from Montpellier being the latest.

Not sure if it'll be enough to prevent immediate relegation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

JPA wrote:
    Barkley go cheap or free? They're looking for 50m.

Well they won't be getting that this summer. He can sign for whoeber he wants to for nothing in 6 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

New four-year deal for Messi, not that he was ever going anywhere.

• New four-year deal for Messi, not that he was ever going anywhere.

:(

One can dream

Well they won't be getting that this summer. He can sign for whoeber he wants to for nothing in 6 months time.

What's the story with tribunals for players that have come through the academy and deciding at some stage to leave on a free? Can Everton insist on some kind of compensation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's the story with tribunals for players that have come through the academy and deciding at some stage to leave on a free? Can Everton insist on some kind of compensation?
    I think that's only for players up to 24, so Barkley might just about scrape in.

I could be wrong on the 24 bit tho.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I think that's only for players up to 24, so Barkley might just about scrape in.

I could be wrong on the 24 bit tho.

From the Guardian.
    A tribunal is only needed when a player under 24 years of age moves clubs having reached the end of his contract.

Looks like Barkley will be 24 next June/July when the contract is up so he could leave for nothing.

In theory he could sign for a foreign club in Janaury and move in the summer but for a domestic club, he'd have to wait until the summer to sort a deal AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

They'll look for it. They could get 35m plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Seedorf has signed for Inverness CT.

Not Clarence obviously, his nephew. :-D

If Chelsea's transfers go through I wonder will we finally get to see Azpilicueta playing in his prefered position for an extended run. He could be said to be the best in the league there but almost always seems to get shunted around the backline instead

If Chelsea's transfers go through I wonder will we finally get to see Azpilicueta playing in his prefered position for an extended run. He could be said to be the best in the league there but almost always seems to get shunted around the backline instead

I think at FB or CB in the 3 he looks exceptional, if we pushed him on to RWB I dont think he'd be as good, he'd be brilliant on the defensive side of things but going forward, I'm not too sure.

Moses is better on the ball and being able to take people on, being a converted winger helps that, I dont think Azp has that in his locker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Everton aren't really inconsistent. Consistently wining at home and consistently drawing or losing away. Nor is Barkley inconsistent. He's consistently ****e.
    Koeman like most Everton supporters, isn't too arsed about Barkley leaving. Probably get £20 Million for him on deadline day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Im not sure he is any better than what they have and i include christiansen and zouma in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

POKERKING wrote: »
    Im not sure he is any better than what they have and i include christiansen and zouma in that.

I think the comparison to make is with Ake really, and he's more established than him.

Zouma looks rough after the leg break, he needs a year of playing to see if he still has the potential to make it imo. Wouldn't surprise me if we end up with Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Rudiger and Christensen as the roster for the season ahead, with Zouma away on loan somewhere to get sharp. The season after Luiz and Cahill will be starting to look older and Christensen, Zouma, Rudiger will have to be breaking into starting games then.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

JPA wrote: »
    They'll look for it. They could get 35m plus.
    Surely no one is stupid enough to pay 35m for Ross Barkley. He's one of the most overrated English players in the PL era.

hots wrote: »
    I think the comparison to make is with Ake really, and he's more established than him.

Zouma looks rough after the leg break, he needs a year of playing to see if he still has the potential to make it imo. Wouldn't surprise me if we end up with Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Rudiger and Christensen as the roster for the season ahead, with Zouma away on loan somewhere to get sharp. The season after Luiz and Cahill will be starting to look older and Christensen, Zouma, Rudiger will have to be breaking into starting games then.

Rudiger looks more compossed on the ball too than Zouma, who at times looks like he could be a turn or touch away from giving a goal away.

Time will tell though but if we did move forward next year with Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Rudiger and Christensen as the 5 CBs, given we're going to have a heavier schedule, theyed all get game time.

In fact, I think Cahill is the most at danger of missing out in the back 3 and I'd have Azp as captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Rudiger looks more compossed on the ball too than Zouma, who at times looks like he could be a turn or touch away from giving a goal away.

Time will tell though but if we did move forward next year with Cahill, Luiz, Azpi, Rudiger and Christensen as the 5 CBs, given we're going to have a heavier schedule, theyed all get game time.

In fact, I think Cahill is the most at danger of missing out in the back 3 and I'd have Azp as captain.

It'll never happen but that's the ideal scenario definitely. And keeping Luiz on his toes in case he decides to go back to sideshowing too. Having Rudiger and Christensen hungry and waiting is surely more motivation for the starters than Zouma in his recovery year and JT on his farewell tour last year!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Everton aren't really inconsistent. Consistently wining at home and consistently drawing or losing away. Nor is Barkley inconsistent. He's consistently ****e.
    Koeman like most Everton supporters, isn't too arsed about Barkley leaving. Probably get £20 Million for him on deadline day.

I'd say if Everton put the word out theyed easily get 20m for him, that seems to be the going rate for any half decent English footballer and Barkley has talent, even if for whatever reason, hes not really kicked on year after year and shown said talent.

If Chelsea were still playinga 4-2-3-1 I'd take a gamble on him for 20m, as it stands, I dont think he'd really work in a front 3 and I dont think hes good enough for a 2 man CM. Still though, he might realise that if nobody is coming in for him in the summer, that he should sign on and stay with Everton, if thats even an option.

hots wrote: »
    It'll never happen but that's the ideal scenario definitely. And keeping Luiz on his toes in case he decides to go back to sideshowing too. Having Rudiger and Christensen hungry and waiting is surely more motivation for the starters than Zouma in his recovery year and JT on his farewell tour last year!

Conte doesnt do sentiment so if Christensen, Zouma or if we sign Rudiger, impress, someobdy will be out on their arse and last season, Cahill was easily the weakest of the CBs, thats not to go in to hard on him as he did end up scoring 6 league goals, same as De Bruyne, Mata, Mahrez and more than Pogba and Rooney, to name just a few. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Lacazette to Arsenal official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

astradave wrote: »

Looks like Andre gray is going . Newcastle , west ham and Everton are linked. Walters is a typical dyche player. If gray goes they will need a forward with pace aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

domrush wrote: »
    Lacazette to Arsenal official.

Did they give him a squad number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

astradave wrote: »

Burnley becoming like an Irish team - I remember when the Irish team was sprinkled with Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd - really tells you the decent job MON is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

thebaz wrote: »
    Burnley becoming like an Irish team - I remember when the Irish team was sprinkled with Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd - really tells you the decent job MON is doing.

Ah, there's still only one playing for a top 10 team, struggle to give him any credit for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Manu_Sainz/status/882657527023972356

Costa to Atletico to be announced in the coming hours.

Rumours that the fee is only £22 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hmm Lukaku must be on his way back (it's a very Chelsea thing!) so who are Everton after?
    This is the sort of domino effect that could see Mbappe at Liverpool yet! :p

Hmm Lukaku must be on his way back (it's a very Chelsea thing!) so who are Everton after?

Mbappe to Everton. Financed through their new relationship with the world biggest bank - industrial and commercial bank of china. Mbappe aside, the new owner and his team have made some difference to how Everton are operating commercially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Rooney

adox wrote: »
    Rooney

Nope, he'll be in addition to lukakus replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

thebaz wrote: »

Could have 5 Irish players starting next year. Ward, kevin long, Brady, Hendrick, Walters.

Advertisement